• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How we know that there was no Flood of Noah.

Misunderstood

Last edited:

Misunderstood

@Misunderstood there is no answer again in your last post.
Yea, I know, I am having a heck of a time with this forum. I will be trying to write something and it will post out of the blue, or if I am trying to edit, it will do whatever it wants. The last post took four edits and some were done on their own.

I know you do not believe in this stuff, but I am going with my computer is possessed.:mad:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yea, I know, I am having a heck of a time with this forum. I will be trying to write something and it will post out of the blue, or if I am trying to edit, it will do whatever it wants. The last post took four edits and some were done on their own.

I know you do not believe in this stuff, but I am going with my computer is possessed.:mad:

The site has been acting up tonight. I thought that I was in trouble earlier when I had trouble making a similar post.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What now? We know there was a flood. The Swiss Alps have melt lines. I researched on this and wrote a midterm paper for a religion course.

Is there evidence that the flood was global? | Bibleinfo.com

There is geological proof that there was a flood (of better quality than virtually anything else in religion), whether or not it involved a man named Noah, Yamato, or Utnapishtim.
That does not mean that there was a flood, and there is no evidence for a flood. The site that you used does not even understand the concept, or they are lying.

Misunderstood

These particular issues are discussed in this video:
Sorry I butchered my last reply to you. I seem to be having troubles tonight. Also, thanks for the link. I watched part of it and quit. I found it quit insulting and belittling to anyone believing in any flood. He made our arguments out of context or flat out lied about some, then proceeded to disprove the flood arguments he stated we believe. Anyway, I did not put muck stock into it. I have seen Yourself, Subduction Zone and others make better arguments on these forums.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sorry I butchered my last reply to you. I seem to be having troubles tonight. Also, thanks for the link. I watched part of it and quit. I found it quit insulting and belittling to anyone believing in any flood. He made our arguments out of context or flat out lied about some, then proceeded to disprove the flood arguments he stated we believe. Anyway, I did not put muck stock into it. I have seen Yourself, Subduction Zone and others make better arguments on these forums.

AronRa does not pull any punches. And believing in the Flood is not that different from believing in Santa Claus. They are both about equally impossible. But thank you for the compliment.

If you studied any geology at all you would know how it refutes the flood. Floods do not sort sediments. Flood deposits tend to be a rapid mess while most sedimentary rocks had to be deposited slowly and steadily. There are a few exceptions but what can't be explained by flood believers are not just how sediments were sorted, but how fossils were sorted as well. All the way down to the microscopic level we have specific layers laid down in order and they can be correlated all the way around the world.

exchemist

Veteran Member
There are many different interpretations of the Noah's Ark myth in Genesis. From my experience all of them can be shown to have never occurred. My only assumption here will be that it God exists he does not lie.

Of course I can't demonstrate a concept to be in error until people clearly state their beliefs. So please tell us what you mean by the Floor and we can discuss your version.
I think the flood story in the bible is an ancient folk myth (or legend) from Mesopotamia, because it appears in the Epic of Gilgamesh as well as the bible.

It could have been derived from experience of seasonal floods, or possibly even from one particularly dramatic flood. I read a very interesting hypothesis some months ago that it could actually relate to sea level rise after the end of the last ice age, entering through the Straits of Hormuz and flooding the foreland basin to the Zagros mountains and thus forming the Persian Gulf of today. Some calculations suggest a rate of encroachment by the sea at a rate of about 3 metres per day (!) , for hundreds of years, presumably displacing a lot of people from the banks of the Shatt al Arab river that would have run down the basin to the Straits. I can well imagine such a process could lead to myths that grew, like fishermans' tales, into the flood story we know from the bible. More here: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/49cb/202d567b73fc9420083f3faceaf2d5dbc1f2.pdf

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think the flood story in the bible is an ancient folk myth (or legend) from Mesopotamia, because it appears in the Epic of Gilgamesh as well as the bible.

It could have been derived from experience of seasonal floods, or possibly even from one particularly dramatic flood. I read a very interesting hypothesis some months ago that it could actually relate to sea level rise after the end of the last ice age, entering through the Straits of Hormuz and flooding the foreland basin to the Zagros mountains and thus forming the Persian Gulf of today. Some calculations suggest a rate of encroachment by the sea at a rate of about 3 metres per day (!) , for hundreds of years, presumably displacing a lot of people from the banks of the Shatt al Arab river that would have run down the basin to the Straits. I can well imagine such a process could lead to myths that grew, like fishermans' tales, into the flood story we know from the bible. More here: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/49cb/202d567b73fc9420083f3faceaf2d5dbc1f2.pdf
I will have to read that when I have some more time. I linked my most probable candidate earlier in this thread.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I will have to read that when I have some more time. I linked my most probable candidate earlier in this thread.
And I in turn was very interested to see your candidate, which I will likewise have to read more thoroughly.

Perhaps what both of these show (and also the Black Sea inundation that Armoured refers to) is that there were a number of flood processes in ancient times in that region, some combination of which could have given rise to the story in the Epic of Gilgamesh and later, the version in the bible.

I am sure Jayhawker Soule is right about the theological function of the story in the bible. As all three of us are well aware, mainstream Judaism and Christianity do NOT treat it as an accurate, literal account of a historical event.

Jumi

Those who take the flood literally as it's told, covering all mountains above 8km are doomed to hold untenable positions. They either need to disbelieve the very basics of science and make it a miracle that somehow laws of physics and rules mathematics wouldn't hold for the duration of it, or they need to be ignorant of said rules and laws.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
The people of the bible didn't know how big the world was, to them likely the world was as far as the eye could see. if a flood happened and everywhere they saw was flooded, then they would likely think that the entire world was flooded. Where else in the world is ancient Hebrew existence found? Is it just isolated to between Egypt and Jerusalem? That's not exactly that large a portion of the globe, like 3-4% of the landmass.

But to them that 3-4% was the whole world.

If you take the bible as literal, and apply the interpretation to the whole planet, then frankly you are an idiot. These people were not worldly. Evidence of their un-worldliness can be found from not finding evidence of their people being anywhere else other than that 3-4% swath of land, of the planet's landmass. . Other civilizations existed elsewhere, yet have no records of meeting these Hebrew peoples.

rstrats

Subduction Zone,
re: "...please tell us what you mean by the Floor..."

For me it means "That part of a room, hallway, or the like, that forms its lower enclosing surface and upon which one walks."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
There are plenty of people who believe the Flood myth is based on some real world event, or possibly several different incidents rolled into one.
I would opt for the latter.
Personally, I like the theory of "The Flood" being a garbled cultural memory of the Black Sea Inundation event.
Some of the JEDPR folks like Friedman trace the J narrative to sometime between 922 and 722 BCE. Others suggest that it's considerably more recent.

The Black Sea Inundation event (sic) is posited to have occurred roughly 5 millennia earlier. Can you share anything that suggests that cultural memory can be sustained over such a period? Conflation strikes me as a far better explanation.

Note that your reference to Black Sea Inundation event is prejudicial in that "event" suggest something far different than does "process." You might wish to review this ...

Audie

Veteran Member
There are plenty of people who believe the Flood myth is based on some real world event, or possibly several different incidents rolled into one. Personally, I like the theory of "The Flood" being a garbled cultural memory of the Black Sea Inundation event. There were certainly humans living in the basin that is now the Black Sea, and the event certainly would have seemed Apocalyptic to them. It also seems geographically pertinent to the various cultures that believed the myth.

Other contenders I'm aware of are the Red Sea inundation or even just an unusually high Mesopotamian seasonal flood.

Garbled version of Black Sea isnt bad,
as a possibility.

Of course, there are (said to be) hundreds of
"great flood" myths from all around the world,
so perhaps something deeper is involved.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Garbled version of Black Sea isnt bad,
as a possibility.

Of course, there are (said to be) hundreds of
"great flood" myths from all around the world,
so perhaps something deeper is involved.
There have been hundreds of large floods around the world. There are at least three candidates in the Middle East alone.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I can't believe I have to explain this.

Some stories aren't stories at all. They're genetic memories. Life on this Earth began from a very hot, very steam place. People like to talk about meteors but no there was life, it just got a jumpstart. The life we are speaking about are bacteria of a sort suited to hostile life. If you had (like most humans do) genetic code from previous beings, you'd have information as a sort of garbled racial memory of all the Earth being land (speaking frankly, a hot land). Then suddenly, moisture collects, and it collects, and it collects, until the world is flooded. This isn't a rainstorm btw. This is a Paleozoic flood period where most of the life is marine. And then suddenly it isn't, you're a genetic group that became suited for dry land. In fact, this happens a few times. Remember the test where they sent out birds? These are false dry periods, where there is some land but the land doesn't really come back.

In other words, no we're not describing a rainstorm. Millions of years of evolution is having a brain fart, and telling a story they shouldn't be able to know.

Or it could be the Black Sea inundation. But a flood def happened.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I am not sure. Maybe an asteroid or from within the earth.Likely the oceans. .It mentions it in bible and I have seen theories were it is felt it was

Can we say with some confidence that you have
no familiarity with either physics or geology?

There used to be people who would claim that
they invented a way to run a car on water,
instead of gasoline. A person who knows
nothing of chemistry might believe it.
Some did.

With all due respect, you are in that position
regarding earth history.