• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How we know it will be bad :D (Rings of Power)

Nimos

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2059132483752

This is why some actors need to be told exactly what to tell the media and not be allowed to speak for themselves :D

"We don't change anything, but we interpret everything in this incredibly unique way."

Definition of Interpretation:
a particular adaptation or version of a work, method, or style

I honestly don't think this woman has any clue what she is talking about and I'm pretty sure that guy next to her thinks the same thing :D

The only understanding I can get from her using the words "in this incredibly unique way" is that it is going to have nothing to do with Tolkien's work, except some names and overall ideas bought(stolen) from his work. It is going to be a complete disaster I think.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Tolkien Estate holds full legal power and veto over all his work.

There are several hundred pages that were not published though film makers have access and can use story lines from them as happened in both the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies.

If story lines are interpreted beyond recognition of the original works it most probably will be vetoed unless is genuinely adds to the story.

This i picked up from a recent televised interview with Peter Jackson.

BTW. I'm not a great fan of Tolkein but have watched LOTR and Hobbit trilogies. But I won't be going out of my way for any new stuff unless it finds it way to free to air TV

Nimos

The Tolkien Estate holds full legal power and veto over all his work.

There are several hundred pages that were not published though film makers have access and can use story lines from them as happened in both the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies.

If story lines are interpreted beyond recognition of the original works it most probably will be vetoed unless is genuinely adds to the story.

This i picked up from a recent televised interview with Peter Jackson.

BTW. I'm not a great fan of Tolkein but have watched LOTR and Hobbit trilogies. But I won't be going out of my way for any new stuff unless it finds it way to free to air TV
Well, it depends what deal was made, PJ settled his with Christopher Tolkien, which was very much about protecting the lore, and eventually, as far as I know, didn't like the movies. However Simon Tolkien doesn't care too much about the lore, in fact, he thought that PJ was way too faithful to the books. And Amazon has made a deal with Simon, not Christopher. So my guess is that they can do almost anything they like, which they are obviously also doing.
Hardly anything they have shown so far has anything to do with what Tolkien wrote, they have changed characters, added new ones, tried to change the lore of races etc. If that is not to change the lore I don't know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well, it depends what deal was made, PJ settled his with Christopher Tolkien, which was very much about protecting the lore, and eventually, as far as I know, didn't like the movies. However Simon Tolkien doesn't care too much about the lore, in fact, he thought that PJ was way too faithful to the books. And Amazon has made a deal with Simon, not Christopher. So my guess is that they can do almost anything they like, which they are obviously also doing.
Hardly anything they have shown so far has anything to do with what Tolkien wrote, they have changed characters, added new ones, tried to change the lore of races etc. If that is not to change the lore I don't know.

It should be the estate not the individual. If the individual has made a deal without the approval of the estate i can see trouble ahead

Nimos

It should be the estate not the individual. If the individual has made a deal without the approval of the estate i can see trouble ahead
I obviously don't know that and Simon might not even be involved in the deal. But I highly doubt that the Estate would go in now and stop what Amazon is doing, given the amount of money they have thrown into it.

In an exclusive report by Devan Coggan, Entertainment Weekly confirms the grandson of J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher's oldest child Simon, as a consultant on AP's Rings of Power series.

But the question is how much he knows about the lore, just because he has the name Tolkien, doesn't make him an expert. And personally, I would find it slightly strange that if he is an expert on the lore, why he wouldn't want to preserve it. Personally to me, him being involved, seems more like a way to try to buy credibility more than lore advice.
Because there are well know lore scholars out there like they mentioned Tom Shippey in an interview specifically, which is regarded as one of the leading ones as far as I know, but find it a bit weird highlighting his name, after Amazon has fired him for apparently breaking an NDA.

I just think it all smells like one big disaster and I think that is exactly what we are going to get :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've seen endless stories on Rings of Power and how the shows will or will not be liked by Tolkien nerds and the general public. All of this Sturm und Drang is a tribute to how important LoTR and The Hobbit are for people.

Personally I'm going to judge the final results not all the theorizing and arm waving now going on.

Nimos

You may very well be right.
It wouldn't be the first time :D

Looking at Star wars, Star Trek, Ending of Game of thrones.

Even though it seems like the new Game of Thrones is getting really good feedback from people having seen the first episode. So I'm really looking forward to that one.

Nimos

I've seen endless stories on Rings of Power and how the shows will or will not be liked by Tolkien nerds and the general public. All of this Sturm und Drang is a tribute to how important LoTR and The Hobbit are for people.

Personally I'm going to judge the final results not all the theorizing and arm waving now going on.
I think it's because people are really starting to get fed up with it. Seeing how one beloved IP after another is getting ruined.

If you listen to some of the stuff she is saying in the interview, it borderlines some of the most racist things I have ever heard. Had a white person said that, they would be thrown to the lions.

Saying that black people can't identify with Lord of the rings because there are no black people in it, is exactly what a racist has a problem with. A person that is not a racist can easily identify with people of different skin color because they are humans. She doesn't seem to have figured that out.

Imagine if I said something similar, that I can't identify with the black people in "Boyz n the hood" because I'm white, which is a movie I loved btw when I was growing up. Then I have a problem, not the movie. But when she says it everyone claps their hands as if that is not racist at all.

It's sickening and tiring to listen to this absolutely appalling morality nonsense that they try to force down people's throats. When all we want is a good movie/tv show about something we like.