• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Write a Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deidre

Today, I saw a friend of mine for lunch, and admittedly, this friend and I have had some tense moments, here and there. She is a good Christian friend, who is always talking about the goodness of Jesus, etc. And means it, not just paying lip service to her faith. Who am I to judge though, right?

When I was an atheist, she and I didn't spend much time together, but since I've returned, it's like time stood still and we have rekindled our friendship. But, there's like two sides to this friend of mine...on the one hand, she is a great listener, and a beautiful person inside and out...on the other, she is very vindictive and gossipy. Well, today we talked about her childhood, she sort of brought it up out of the blue. She shared with me that she was molested by a family member when she was growing up. He ended up being arrested, and spent time in jail. There is one side of her family of origin, who wants nothing to do with my friend. She was a little girl when this happened, how could they even begin to blame her? Needless to say I was stunned, because in the time I've known her, she's never even hinted to anything like this happening in her childhood. But, not like such a topic pops up for conversation every day.

As she was telling me this story, I realized that maybe some of why she is vindictive against friends, etc is because of what happened to her as a child. Not that it's an excuse for that behavior, but it's at least...a reason. It got me to thinking how every single one of us has a backstory. And our backstories really shape who we are, and why we make the choices that we do, good or bad. Not that we should pardon all those who are dangerous and incarcerated for example, but they too have a backstory, I imagine. If only there were enough people in the world to hold the hands of those in need, so that they could safely share their backstories. I wonder if the world would be different, or if it would be the same. I wonder if more people shared their backstories without shame, if they'd not have lost themselves in alcohol, drugs, or sexual addiction.

I think the world would be different. But, so many people are afraid to share their backstories, afraid no one will care or afraid that they will be shamed for their story. It might stand to reason that counselors are so well utilized because people just want to share their backstory with someone. Anyone. Without judgment. There's something about paying for someone to listen to my woes that doesn't sit too well with me, to be honest. I like the idea rather of a trusted friend listening...for free.

Anyway. Today marks a day I will remember...and with it, I'll cease to jump to quick conclusions about someone's negative behavior. Because everyone has a backstory, and an internal battle they are dealing with.

2118298578-07-22-2014_Listening-To-Others.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Good post Dee :)

I can relate to what you're saying being a drug-addict, suicidal, and on probation for stabbing someone.

I've been abused to and come from a very broken family. That is no excuse but I've been in many psyche wards, jails, and even prison, and those places are loaded with abused people from broken families.

That is good that you are having these thoughts and that you are there for your friend like that. God will reward you for all the things you do for others including listen to them :)

Deidre

Good post Dee :)

I can relate to what you're saying being a drug-addict, suicidal, and on probation for stabbing someone.

I've been abused to and come from a very broken family. That is no excuse but I've been in many psyche wards, jails, and even prison, and those places are loaded with abused people from broken families.

That is good that you are having these thoughts and that you are there for your friend like that. God will reward you for all the things you do for others including listen to them :)

Our backstories aren't anything to be ashamed of, but we should try to not let them define us. That's the trick, I think....not always easy. But, we are works in progress, and if you are so forgiving with others, then be forgiving to yourself, as well. :heart:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Our backstories aren't anything to be ashamed of, but we should try to not let them define us. That's the trick, I think....not always easy. But, we are works in progress, and if you are so forgiving with others, then be forgiving to yourself, as well. :heart:
Yeah, it's hard to not hate myself. I should take your advice though. *hug*

Deidre

I watched over the weekend, Girl on a Train. I had been wanting to see this for a while, and it was finally rent-able on cable. It got really poor reviews by rotten tomatoes, but that didn't sway me. Sadly, I like really bad movies, sometimes. lol

But, the thing that troubled me about the movie was not so much the pace, which was really slow and choppy. Maybe some books simply can't be transposed very well into a movie format. I don't know. Rather, it is yet another movie pitting men against women. Another movie showing a cheating husband, a ''crazy'' wife (who becomes his ex wife) and he marries the woman he had the affair with, but continues cheating on her, with his nanny. Yes, very VERY cliche. I won't spoil it for you, but the ending is not all that shocking since many movies depict men as needing to be ''dealt with'' by women. Or the men are bumbling fools in need of women to guide them the right way. Whether it's a comedy or drama, the message seems to be a downer about how men and women simply can't live in harmony.

Meanwhile, the cheater in the movie who is a woman, seems to go unnoticed. Like you forgive her for some reason, because she married the guy? I found myself ''forgiving'' her as I watched it...yet feeling bad for the ex, too. But, he is ruthless because he keeps cheating? I actually own the book, and have never read it, maybe I should. Maybe there are gaps somewhere that can be filled in with words, that a film experience simply can't do.

But, I like Emily Blunt, so she was cool in it. Great acting. Just a sour plot that leaves you wondering ...what just happened? And why are so many movies always showing men and women at odds with one another? :oops:

Meh, give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Deidre

I've been thinking a lot lately, about death and ghosts. Not necessarily in that order. To the point, where I'm not sleeping well, waking up, and shining the flashlight from my phone across the room to see if a ghost is there. Imagine if there was, what would I even do? My fiance tells me there is no such things as ghosts, but Idk. I think there are. The paranormal could have a place here, of sorts. My fear of death, not sure if it's my death I'm fearing...or even fear at all. It's just that it's something we all will go through. Every single one of us will die someday. We don't know when, we don't know how, but we will. I've been praying for God to take these negative thoughts from me, but maybe He shouldn't? Maybe it's normal to think about death, as much as we think about life. Why does death have to be scary? It doesn't. I think about heaven, and it comforts me. I had a dream about heaven last year...I arrived there, and was greeted by a few people I've known who died too soon...and then they walked away. And this beautiful Indian music was playing...steadily everywhere. Faintly, not loudly.

And I sat down at this large, long banquet table...and Jesus was there. He was quiet the whole time. A slight smile, but not really a smile. Just looking at me. And I said nothing. I knew where I was, and who He was. And then He got up and walked away...vanished. And the table started to ''grow,'' and more and more people started to come out of nowhere, sitting around it. All the dead people of the earth...were gathering at the banquet. It was weird, but comforting. Eerie yet soothing.

Death doesn't have to be ominous, so why is it that we think it is?

Death-quotes-11.png

Deidre

I think it's time for me to go. I take a break, come back...and it's always the same thing...people mocking Christianity, and nothing is done here. This leads me to think that Christians aren't welcome here. That's cool. Peace, and be well.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think it's time for me to go. I take a break, come back...and it's always the same thing...people mocking Christianity, and nothing is done here. This leads me to think that Christians aren't welcome here. That's cool. Peace, and be well.
Christians are welcome! You're a good person Deidre! I mock God because he's cruel...but I would never mock you...I'm sorry you feel this way...we will miss you! ((Hugsss)) :blueheart::greenheart::yellowheart::purpleheart::heart:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Hey, dunno how serious this was, but just in case...
You're always welcome here. Don't let the loud voices be more important than the quiet ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.