• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how to worship?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Not all of Taoism has anything to do with the worship of deities. This came later on with the inevitable degree of corruption that a culture lends to old spiritual practices.

The more original Taoism, variably called philosophical Taoism and, I think i've read, mystical Taoism by many, is simple based on the teacheings of the Tao Te Ching (pronounced dao de ching), the writer of which is considered to be a man named Lao Tzu, or Laozi, depending on how you like to transliterate your Chinese, and the eponymous Zhuangzi (sometimes spelled Chuang Tzu, there's a pattern here :D).

The Tao Te Ching is simply a guide on how to live life in accord with the way of things and, as one who practices this, I can say it is likely infinitely more beneficial than worshiping anyone. The Zhuangzi goes along a similar vein, though it is written in a different style. Both are available for free on the internet. If you want, im sure there are a few of us here who could recommend a particular translation of either.

If you're still interested in worshiping, I suppose you could start by reading about the Eight Immortals. I am not well versed in this kind of Taoism, which is called Religious Taoism. Religious Taoism is more influenced by Chinese Culture than it is the Philosophy put forth in the Tao Te Ching or the Zhuangzi, IMO.

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

For me, there is no such thing as worship in Taoism. There can be, like the above comment(s) said, but really worshiping can take away some of the very crucial potential of actually intellectually learning something and to spiritually grow (both of which to me can be interrelated, unless you're an Atheist).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone here know how to worship the gods of Taoism,and what these gods are,and the proof for them?

There's no proof for any gods or any religion, it's a matter of faith.

Keep in mind none of the following are hard and fast rules. You do as much or as little as you want, the only requirement is respect.

I posted an article about setting up a Taoist altar here http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/taoism-dir/148132-guidelines-setting-up-daoist-altar.html

Here is a simple explanation of worship of Taoist deities by Chinese and non-Chinese as well as another explanation of setting up an altar. CHINESE GODS OF WEALTH: How To Set Up A Taoist Altar See especially the section:

GUIDE FOR WESTERN FOLKS
You do not need to follow exactly how the Chinese pray to their Deities.The above is a general knowledge on how the Chinese do their prayers.

Example ... When Hindus pray to Chinese Deities, they will use burning lamp (Indian Style) and rotate around the Chinese Deity Statues and ring the bell while chanting with Hindu Mantra. When Chinese pray to Hindu Deities, they will use 3 joss sticks to pray to them.

In Taoism/Buddhism/Hinduism , what matter most is Your Heart, Mind and Soul in Your trust and believe that the deities have the power to protect You and bring Your prosperity and also understand the teachings of the individual Deities.

Most important is the Taoist Deity Statue or Statues MUST BE CONSECRATED or at least there is a TALISMAN to EMPOWER the ALTAR and an Incense Urn to burn Incense.

How You will like to decorate Your Altar is to Your own liking.

TAOISM never force anyone to follow exactly the "Standard Way Of Praying". Praying to Deities of different faith are allowed to be placed together and then blend into Your own Culture and pray the way You feel comfortable with.

Being a syncretist/fusionist, I incorporated elements of the recommendations in the above articles, but I didn't follow them to the letter. However, I do have an energized Mahāsudarshana yantra (Nārāyana, Vishnu) that I suppose serves as a talisman.

Most prayer in religious Taoism is of a personal nature; that is, simply asking the deities for blessings or favors and thanking and praising them. However, there are a few prayers and mantras I use:

You can repeat this prayer to the Three Pure Ones as a mantra or say it once as a prayer:

(Pinyin transliteration from Chinese) SAN QING JIAO ZU WU LIANG TIAN ZUN
(Sounds like) San Ching Jiao Tzu Wu Liang Tien Tzun
(Translation) Three Pure Ones, Founders of Taoism, Limitless Honored in Heaven.

Morning Invocation. This can be done repeatedly like a mantra:
(Transliteration) JIU TIEN YING YUEN, LEI SHANG, PU HUA TIEN CHUN
(Sounds like) Jo Tien, Ying Yuen, Lay Shung Pu Hua Tien Tzun
(Translation) The Divine One of Universal Love and Thundering Response

Evening Invocation. This can be done repeatedly like a mantra:
(Transliteration) WO SHIN, JING RU, BAI LIAN
(Sounds like) Wah Sheen, Jing Ru, Bye Lien
(Translation) My heart is as pure as the white lotus blossom.

Praise to the Jade Emperor. The Jade Emperor governs the Universe, but did not create it. This is his name, and can be chanted or recited for blessings and forgiviness: Yu Huang She Zui Tian Zun.

A prayer by Lao Tze:

Lord, let us empty of all doctrines,
The Tao is wisdom eternally inexhaustible.
Fathomless for the mere intellect,
The Tao is the law wherewith all things come into being.

It blunts the edges of the intellect,
Untangles the knots of the mind,
Softens the glare of thinking,
And settles the dust of thought.

Transparent yet invisible,
The Tao exists like deep pellucid water.
Its origin is unknown,
For it existed before Heaven and Earth

The Jade Emperor Heart Seal Sutra:
The Supreme Medicine has three distinctions:
Ching [Essence] Qi [Vitality] and Shen [Spirit]
Which are elusive and obscure.

Keep to non-being yet hold on to being and perfection is yours in an instant.
When distant winds blend together in one hundred days of spiritual work and morning recitation to the Shang Ti. Then in one year will soar as an immortal.

The sages awaken through self-cultivation; deep profound their practices require great effort. Fulfilling vows illumines the Heavens. Breathing nourishes youthfulness.

Departing from the Mysterious entering the female. It appears to have perished yet appears to exist Unmovable its origin is mysterious.

Each person has Ching The Shen unites with the Ching. The Shen unites with the Qi, the breath then unites with the true nature, these terms appear to be fanciful exaggerations

The Shen is capable of entering stone; the Shen is capable of physical flight Entering water is not drowned; entering fire is not burned.

The Shen depends on life form; the Ching depends on sufficient Qi. If these are neither depleted nor injured the result will be youthfulness and longevity.

These three distinctions have one principle. Yet so subtle it cannot be heard. Their meeting results in existence, their parting results in non-exsistence. The seven apertures interpenetrate and each emits wisdom light.

The sacred sun and sacred moon illuminate the Golden Court. One attainment is eternal attainment. The body will naturally become weightless. When the supreme harmony is replete the bone fragments become like winter jade.

Acquiring the Elixir results in immortality. Not acquiring it results in extinction. The Elixir is within yourself It is not white and not green.

Recite and hold ten thousand times. These are the subtle principles of self-illumination.