• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to understand the holy Quran “The Quran is one integrated sentence”: Great speech

mahmoud mrt

How to understand the holy Quran “The Quran is one integrated sentence”: Great speech

Great Episode from Prof. Amr Khaled: I recommend watching it to all Muslims and non Muslims, it comes with English translation.

This phrase: "The Quran is one integrated sentence," although it is new, but its meaning is confirmed by the holy Quran in all its Suras, and Sheikh Mohammed Metwally Shaarawy the known best interpreter of the holy Quran in the Arab world in the 20th century has well noted this meaning.

The Concept is:
You must understand the Quran as a whole, this means that to understand any subject in the Quran you must first at least read or listen to all the verses that speak of this matter at the whole of the holy Quran.

This is a very important concept to understand any subject in the Quran. For example in the instructions of war you will not find a chapter name, (the war instructions) but you will find some instructions at the beginning of the Quran, and additional other in the middle and some of the other near the end. So if you want to understand the war in the Quran you must first at least read or listen to it as a whole in all of the Quran. This is very important concept to understand any subject in the holy Quran.

Examples of the stories of the prophets, which are distributed in many Suras, for example, if you read in Surah 71 Noah:

71:26 And Noah said, "My Lord, do not leave upon the earth from among the disbelievers an inhabitant.

71:27 Indeed, if You leave them, they will mislead Your servants and not beget except [every] wicked one and [confirmed] disbeliever.

If you take the previous verses only you might think that the invitation to Muslims to pray with extinction of non-Muslims, but the Prophet Muhammad, Allah bless him did Not pray for the extinction of the infidels of Mecca ever.
So in order to understand why Noah called on his people annihilation must read all the verses that speak of Prophet Noah and his people in all the Quran.
If we do this, it will answer the question clearly in Surah 11 Hood:

11:36 And it was revealed to Noah that, "No one will believe from your people except those who have already believed, so do not be distressed by what they have been doing.
11:37 And construct the ship under Our observation and Our inspiration and do not address Me concerning those who have wronged; indeed, they are [to be] drowned."

Here explained exactly why the Prophet called Noah prayed for his people extinction, because he had been inspired by God that there would not believe any of his people except those who had believed before.
The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him hoped that God would bring out of the children of infidels of Mecca good Muslims, and has been, he went Khaled Ibn Al-Walid and Ikrima ibn Abi Jahl, and Amr Ibn El-Aas and other companions who were the Prophet “peace be upon him” enemies’ sons.

This rule is clearly seen in most of the stories of the prophets and topics in the holy Quran.

I say to all Muslims, do not be lazy and read the whole book of God and the whole verses which speak of the topic you want to find out, you'll find the Holy Quran is full of mercy, humanity, morality, and graciousness even in the war, and you will see clearly the criminality of ISIS and its misguided ideology and of all Terrorist groups.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

Great Episode from Prof. Amr Khaled: I recommend watching it to all Muslims and non Muslims, it comes with English translation.

This phrase: "The Quran is one integrated sentence," although it is new, but its meaning is confirmed by the holy Quran in all its Suras, and Sheikh Mohammed Metwally Shaarawy the known best interpreter of the holy Quran in the Arab world in the 20th century has well noted this meaning.

The Concept is:
You must understand the Quran as a whole, this means that to understand any subject in the Quran you must first at least read or listen to all the verses that speak of this matter at the whole of the holy Quran.

This is a very important concept to understand any subject in the Quran. For example in the instructions of war you will not find a chapter name, (the war instructions) but you will find some instructions at the beginning of the Quran, and additional other in the middle and some of the other near the end. So if you want to understand the war in the Quran you must first at least read or listen to it as a whole in all of the Quran. This is very important concept to understand any subject in the holy Quran.

Examples of the stories of the prophets, which are distributed in many Suras, for example, if you read in Surah 71 Noah:

71:26 And Noah said, "My Lord, do not leave upon the earth from among the disbelievers an inhabitant.

71:27 Indeed, if You leave them, they will mislead Your servants and not beget except [every] wicked one and [confirmed] disbeliever.

If you take the previous verses only you might think that the invitation to Muslims to pray with extinction of non-Muslims, but the Prophet Muhammad, Allah bless him did Not pray for the extinction of the infidels of Mecca ever.
So in order to understand why Noah called on his people annihilation must read all the verses that speak of Prophet Noah and his people in all the Quran.
If we do this, it will answer the question clearly in Surah 11 Hood:

11:36 And it was revealed to Noah that, "No one will believe from your people except those who have already believed, so do not be distressed by what they have been doing.
11:37 And construct the ship under Our observation and Our inspiration and do not address Me concerning those who have wronged; indeed, they are [to be] drowned."

Here explained exactly why the Prophet called Noah prayed for his people extinction, because he had been inspired by God that there would not believe any of his people except those who had believed before.
The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him hoped that God would bring out of the children of infidels of Mecca good Muslims, and has been, he went Khaled Ibn Al-Walid and Ikrima ibn Abi Jahl, and Amr Ibn El-Aas and other companions who were the Prophet “peace be upon him” enemies’ sons.

This rule is clearly seen in most of the stories of the prophets and topics in the holy Quran.

I say to all Muslims, do not be lazy and read the whole book of God and the whole verses which speak of the topic you want to find out, you'll find the Holy Quran is full of mercy, humanity, morality, and graciousness even in the war, and you will see clearly the criminality of ISIS and its misguided ideology and of all Terrorist groups.

How exactly do you determine who is the best interpreter of the Quran?

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah
Really wonderful! The video was great and informative. The Qur'an is indeed one whole sentence. It must be read as a whole. :)

OurCreed

How exactly do you determine who is the best interpreter of the Quran?

Peace be upon you.

The Qur'an states in chapter 3, verse 7.
"It is He who has sent down to you the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah. But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding."

So there are two types of verses in the Qur'an. The first types of verses are the basis of the book, the majority of them. These are the clear and precise verses.

The other types of verses, which are NOT the majority, are the unspecific ones. These unspecific verses can have different interpretations to them.

So the Qur'an for the most part, cannot be interpreted. The majority of the verses are clear cut and precise. All the verses which speak of commands, beliefs, teachings, warnings, etc., these are all made to be clear without any ambiguity. Why would God put different interpretations and have different meanings for the commands and teachings? He wouldn't, He doesn't want the religion to be confusing or difficult to understand, which is why the majority of the Qur'an requires no interpreting. Just read everything in context and you're good.

For the few verses which are not fully precise, these can have several interpretations, and these verses are usually metaphorical/allegorical ones, stories, lessons, signs, prophecies, etc. These types of verses require knowledge to understand, something that God Himself grants to people. So if people want to understand these types of verses for their benefit, they need to gain more knowledge and be open-minded. Understanding of Arabic is a must, as well as logic and the sciences (to understand the verses regarding various scientific subjects).

This verse, chapter 3, verse 7, also clarifies that those people who have deviation in their hearts, those people who have a form of corruption inside of them, they will take the unspecific verses, and make up a meaning from it which is suitable to their own ideas. So this is a warning to the reader. The true interpretations are known to God and those God gifts with knowledge. But just remember, the majority of the Qur'an does not require interpretation, the majority of the verses are clear, and they were meant to be.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Peace be upon you.

The Qur'an states in chapter 3, verse 7.
"It is He who has sent down to you the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah. But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding."

So there are two types of verses in the Qur'an. The first types of verses are the basis of the book, the majority of them. These are the clear and precise verses.

The other types of verses, which are NOT the majority, are the unspecific ones. These unspecific verses can have different interpretations to them.

So the Qur'an for the most part, cannot be interpreted. The majority of the verses are clear cut and precise. All the verses which speak of commands, beliefs, teachings, warnings, etc., these are all made to be clear without any ambiguity. Why would God put different interpretations and have different meanings for the commands and teachings? He wouldn't, He doesn't want the religion to be confusing or difficult to understand, which is why the majority of the Qur'an requires no interpreting. Just read everything in context and you're good.

For the few verses which are not fully precise, these can have several interpretations, and these verses are usually metaphorical/allegorical ones, stories, lessons, signs, prophecies, etc. These types of verses require knowledge to understand, something that God Himself grants to people. So if people want to understand these types of verses for their benefit, they need to gain more knowledge and be open-minded. Understanding of Arabic is a must, as well as logic and the sciences (to understand the verses regarding various scientific subjects).

This verse, chapter 3, verse 7, also clarifies that those people who have deviation in their hearts, those people who have a form of corruption inside of them, they will take the unspecific verses, and make up a meaning from it which is suitable to their own ideas. So this is a warning to the reader. The true interpretations are known to God and those God gifts with knowledge. But just remember, the majority of the Qur'an does not require interpretation, the majority of the verses are clear, and they were meant to be.

So you must have a correct interpretation of the Qur'an to determine who has the correct interpretation of the Qur'an?

OurCreed

So you must have a correct interpretation of the Qur'an to determine who has the correct interpretation of the Qur'an?

No, that's not what I said at all. The verse says that only God knows the correct interpretation. I should have clarified, regarding the verses which are unspecified in their meaning, no one will truly know the full meanings. We as humans can only understand it as far as our knowledge takes us and how much God reveals information to us through inspiration. This is only regarding the unspecified verses.

The rest of the Qur'an, the majority for that matter, don't require any interpretation.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
No, that's not what I said at all. The verse says that only God knows the correct interpretation. I should have clarified, regarding the verses which are unspecified in their meaning, no one will truly know the full meanings. We as humans can only understand it as far as our knowledge takes us and how much God reveals information to us through inspiration. This is only regarding the unspecified verses.

The rest of the Qur'an, the majority for that matter, don't require any interpretation.

How do you determine which verses are unspecified?

OurCreed

How do you determine which verses are unspecified?

By simply reading it. You can tell which verses are clear and straightforward, and which verses may have more meanings hidden in them. However, some verses may sound clear, but may have more meanings in them that only those of knowledge will be able to figure out.

Here's an example of a verse that is clear.

5;6
"O you who believe, when you rise to observe the Salat, you shall wash your faces and your arms to the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles."

The verse is giving a clear instruction, straightforward commandment. There are NO interpretations for this verse. So before Muslims start prayer, they must do the following.
a) Wash faces
b) Wash arms up to the elbows
c) Wipe the heads
d) Wipe feet up to the ankles

It's simply reading.

Here's an example of a verse that can have different interpretations.

38;71-72
"Your Lord said to the angels, "I am going to create a human being out of clay. When I have formed him and breathed My Spirit into him, fall down in prostration to him!""

In this verse, it is speaking of a certain event. God decreed for humans to be created, and God created humans from clay. Clay in this verse can mean multiple things. Two things of which is the actual substance of clay, and the metaphorical understanding of what clay represents. Modern scientific study has shown that all forms of life have arisen from extracts of clay and soil, which are representations of the combinations of minerals found on earth. This is exactly where life came from, from these minerals. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2488467/Scientists-believe-beginnings-CLAY.html

Another interpretation of clay, however, is a metaphorical one. Clay is a substance which is easily moldable to different shapes and sizes. This basic property of clay is also present in humans. Because humans also have the ability to mold their views, personalities, and desires, and shape their own selves, as well as their destinies. This is a more deeper understanding of the word when Qur'an mentions 'clay'.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
By simply reading it. You can tell which verses are clear and straightforward, and which verses may have more meanings hidden in them. However, some verses may sound clear, but may have more meanings in them that only those of knowledge will be able to figure out.

Here's an example of a verse that is clear.

5;6
"O you who believe, when you rise to observe the Salat, you shall wash your faces and your arms to the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles."

The verse is giving a clear instruction, straightforward commandment. There are NO interpretations for this verse. So before Muslims start prayer, they must do the following.
a) Wash faces
b) Wash arms up to the elbows
c) Wipe the heads
d) Wipe feet up to the ankles

It's simply reading.

Here's an example of a verse that can have different interpretations.

38;71-72
"Your Lord said to the angels, "I am going to create a human being out of clay. When I have formed him and breathed My Spirit into him, fall down in prostration to him!""

In this verse, it is speaking of a certain event. God decreed for humans to be created, and God created humans from clay. Clay in this verse can mean multiple things. Two things of which is the actual substance of clay, and the metaphorical understanding of what clay represents. Modern scientific study has shown that all forms of life have arisen from extracts of clay and soil, which are representations of the combinations of minerals found on earth. This is exactly where life came from, from these minerals. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2488467/Scientists-believe-beginnings-CLAY.html

Another interpretation of clay, however, is a metaphorical one. Clay is a substance which is easily moldable to different shapes and sizes. This basic property of clay is also present in humans. Because humans also have the ability to mold their views, personalities, and desires, and shape their own selves, as well as their destinies. This is a more deeper understanding of the word when Qur'an mentions 'clay'.

Not really.... I can reverse these fairly easily.

5;6

This could represent a symbolic cleansing of the spirit when you observe the Salat.

38;71-72

Your god could have simply made humans from the clay found in the bottom of lake in an instant.

OurCreed

Not really.... I can reverse these fairly easily.

5;6

This could represent a symbolic cleansing of the spirit when you observe the Salat.

38;71-72

Your god could have simply made humans from the clay found in the bottom of lake in an instant.

But what evidence do you have to show that the washing is a symbolic cleansing? The Arabic wording is all literal, the expressions are clear, there really is nothing else to know. If there was some symbolic message in those words, it wouldn't matter in the bigger picture of things, because this is a commandment. This commandment is there so people can carry it out. How will people "symbolically" wash themselves?

Second, you're adding words where none exist. The verse never says anything about clay being in the bottom of a lake. We can only go off the evidence from the verse. The verse uses the word clay. I already gave you two understandings of clay, one is literal, one is metaphorical, and both fit with the nature of the verse.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
But what evidence do you have to show that the washing is a symbolic cleansing? The Arabic wording is all literal, the expressions are clear, there really is nothing else to know. If there was some symbolic message in those words, it wouldn't matter in the bigger picture of things, because this is a commandment. This commandment is there so people can carry it out. How will people "symbolically" wash themselves?

Second, you're adding words where none exist. The verse never says anything about clay being in the bottom of a lake. We can only go off the evidence from the verse. The verse uses the word clay. I already gave you two understandings of clay, one is literal, one is metaphorical, and both fit with the nature of the verse.

First of all NO ONE knows the nature of the universe.

So you are saying it fits in with YOUR PERCEPATION of the nature of the universe.

In which case I can use it to try to fit ANY PERSPECTIVE I want.

So you have still not provided any objective way of telling how your interpretation is correct.

OurCreed

First of all NO ONE knows the nature of the universe.

So you are saying it fits in with YOUR PERCEPATION of the nature of the universe.

In which case I can use it to try to fit ANY PERSPECTIVE I want.

So you have still not provided any objective way of telling how your interpretation is correct.

Nature of verse, not nature of universe.

Please read carefully.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Nature of verse, not nature of universe.

Please read carefully.

Okay okay, that was my bad.

I misread it.

But This still raises an issue.

If the only way to tell if your interperating the verse correctly is by interperating the verse correctly.

That is circular logic.

OurCreed

Okay okay, that was my bad.

I misread it.

But This still raises an issue.

If the only way to tell if your interperating the verse correctly is by interperating the verse correctly.

That is circular logic.

No, that's not how it is.

To interpret a verse correctly is to stick to the contents of the original verse.

The example I gave you used the word clay. As long as you are deriving only true meanings/understandings from that verse without adding any additional words, then you are on the correct way of doing it.

I showed how clay can be both literal, as well as metaphorical, and I used a logical reason why clay can be metaphorical. Is there any disputes? No. It fits perfectly. There can be even more meanings that we don't know. As long as you stick with the nature of the verse.

But if you start saying the clay was in the bottom of the lake, that doesn't work. You are making it too specific and narrow and the verse doesn't do that.

There are some Qur'anic verses however that aren't literal at all, but must be taken metaphorically.

One example is when the Qur'an speak of heaven. The thing is, the word for heaven that the Qur'an uses is jannah, which in Arabic translates to "Garden".

Elsewhere in the Qur'an, it says that no human being has seen the next world, so no human can perceive what paradise looks like. So this word that is used "Garden", must be metaphorical, and not literal. Heaven, the place people go to if they are good, is not a literal garden. Because we humans have all seen how gardens look like. The Qur'an goes further to describe this garden, that there are rivers that flow, there are fruits, there is drink, etc.

These are all metaphors to describe pleasureful things to us in relation to what we already know. But that is not how it will be in the next world when we are actually there. God cannot describe the paradise/garden to us in this world because we will not be able to even understand or comprehend it. It's like thinking of a brand new color. So what God does is give us the metaphorical understanding, so we still know the nature of what we will be getting, our eternal reward.

And people can interpret many different things from the word 'Garden', and the other related words. One of my own interpretations of Garden is this. Gardens are full of plants and fruits that grow. Everything in a garden basically grows. So heaven will be a place where we humans continue to grow and get closer and closer to our Creator. So heaven won't be a place of inactivity, but continuous activity and progression. Our spiritual development will not stop in the hereafter. This is just one interpretation, and I've used only the knowledge given from the verse.

Another interpretation can be that gardens are full of fruits for people and animals to eat. So when we go to the next world, we will have all the pleasures we desire right in front of us in plenty. Again, I've used only the knowledge given from this verse.

That is the beautiful nature of the Qur'an. The verses which are not made specific, but unspecific, a person can get so many different meanings from just a few words, and it will be different from person to person. The Qur'an appeals to everyone's dispositions. That's why there are some verses which are not fully clear, they are purposely made in this way because the knowledge that God possesses, is limitless, and we can see that in His own book.

OurCreed

That would be great but we need to interpret the verse in order to try to understand the contents.

So your logic is still circular.

You mean translate/understand what the words are. Arabic is Arabic. Certain words mean certain things. They don't require interpretations, they just require reading. Jannah in Arabic means garden, that's the literal meaning of the word. But there is no literal understanding, there is only a metaphorical understanding and I gave the reasons above why that's the case.