• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Tell When Someone Likes You?

Well, through my shyness venture, I have been paying explicit attention to people's body language, through personal interactions and studying the interactions of other people.

While I was personally interacting with women, I would look directly into their eyes, and hold that gaze longer than usual (this is a subtle way of communicating interest in a person). I would then study their reactions. What I've noticed are patterns of body language which I think communicate disinterest and interest.

Gazing behavior

There is what I call "social" gazing, which is the normal level of eye contact that occurs during interactions between two people. Eye contact is minimal. When a person is not interested in you, their eyes will communicate it... Their gaze behavior is "social." I found this especially to be true with women who are married. They will not look into your eyes much. Staring into theirs may elicit a need for them to avert their gaze. If they believe that you like them, and they aren't interested, they will avoid eye contact completely.

On the other hand, when the person is single and there is some kind of attraction, eye contact lingers. In fact, they can't take their eyes off of you when you talk to them. Their eyes become focused soley on you. If they are shy, this still happens, but when you are not looking.

Facial expression

I think that one cannot tell by gaze behavior alone. One must also be attuned to the facial expressions that accompany gaze behavior.

I also dichotomize facial expressions into "social" and interested categories. If they aren't interested, they will have still-face (their face seems expressionless). If they do smile, it does not last very long. Smiling generally has a social aura to it. It is faked (not a duchenne smile), and is there out of social politeness. The only apparent exception is when you make them laugh by saying or doing something amusing. But still, the smile fades after the affects of humor have evaoprated.

On the other hand, if they like you, their smiles are often wide (duchenne) and appears uncontrollable. Smiling lasts for long periods of time and can even last during the entire interaction. Smiling is usually accompanied by laughter, which occurs regardless if you're being funny or not.

Last edited:
Well, looks like I've had a couple views, but no comments? Anyone agree/disagree, or have anything to add? Maybe this merely is an indicator of rapport, rather than attraction?

Karl R

Anyone agree/disagree, or have anything to add?
You're on the right track, but there is no certainty. Men are a lot more obvious about displaying their attraction to women then vice-versa.

You're looking at the correct signals, but you'll make mistakes. Just accept that inevitability and approach the women who seem attracted to you.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I know a girl likes me when she hits me. Vice-versa, I think my intentions are pretty clear when I pull a girl's hair.

talk to a girl walk away after 5 seconed look back if she looks at you smile if she smiles back she likes you

You're on the right track, but there is no certainty. Men are a lot more obvious about displaying their attraction to women then vice-versa.

You're looking at the correct signals, but you'll make mistakes. Just accept that inevitability and approach the women who seem attracted to you.

Ya. I know some people just like to flirt (like me).

Last edited: