• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to start becoming a Christian?

Well, I think it's time to give Christianity an honest shot. I'm going to see if Christianity can make me develop into an even better person. I just have one small problem: I have no idea where to begin with this. I'm looking for Introduction to Christianity classes and that's going well, but until I can find a class that I can attend, I feel like I should be doing something more to start my transition into Christianity. If it helps any, I'm looking into being either Episcopal or Methodist, but really any advice regardless of denomination would be welcome.

I literally can't believe that I'm trying to do this after all the times I told myself I would never be Christian when I was younger.

EDIT: I guess I'm not trying to convert just yet, just to be clear. I'm just dipping my toe into the pool of Christianity and seeing what it has to offer me. I'm just inquiring and exploring. That's all. :)

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
My question is why? Considering Judaism and Islam (as you've indicated you're culturally Muslim) considers mainstream Christianity a form of tri-monotheism, why? If you're going to study a faith I'd start with Thomas Aquinas.

My question is why? Considering Judaism and Islam (as you've indicated you're culturally Muslim) considers mainstream Christianity a form of tri-monotheism, why? If you're going to study a faith I'd start with Thomas Aquinas.
I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I find a comfort in Jesus, plus many others find salvation through him. I guess I just feel like giving the religion a fair chance, even if the three in one idea isn't what I'm used to.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
There are too many options to give you guidance. Look for a church that has a meal after service, so you get to hang out and chat over coffee and snacks when you feel like it. Do not do any volunteering beyond simple non-committal things. Do not help out in the nursery. Stay detached and let other people do the volunteering. You do not need to volunteer or give money to attend. You do not need to convert to attend. You may walk out of any church service at any time, and probably no one will even remember it. If you are late, sneak into the back quietly and avoid disturbing anyone if possible. Do not sign visitors cards, because they will result in mail and offers to visit you in your home.

Stay away from any place where you feel anything like pressure. Stay away from churches that keep talking about donating. Don't tell people all about yourself until you feel you know at least a little about the church you are visiting. Do not visit only one church per month. Churches vary extremely. There are probably 10 other churches within a half mile of any church you visit. It is your job to find a church that you feel deserves you and where people are behaving like you think Christians should.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
There are too many options to give you guidance. Look for a church that has a meal after service, so you get to hang out and chat over coffee and snacks when you feel like it. Do not do any volunteering beyond simple non-committal things. Do not help out in the nursery. Stay detached and let other people do the volunteering. You do not need to volunteer or give money to attend. You do not need to convert to attend. You may walk out of any church service at any time, and probably no one will even remember it. If you are late, sneak into the back quietly and avoid disturbing anyone if possible. Do not sign visitors cards, because they will result in mail and offers to visit you in your home.

Stay away from any place where you feel anything like pressure. Stay away from churches that keep talking about donating. Don't tell people all about yourself until you feel you know at least a little about the church you are visiting. Do not visit only one church per month. Churches vary extremely. There are probably 10 other churches within a half mile of any church you visit. It is your job to find a church that you feel deserves you and where people are behaving like you think Christians should.
^All of this a thousand times over.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Well, I think it's time to give Christianity an honest shot. I'm going to see if Christianity can make me develop into an even better person. I just have one small problem: I have no idea where to begin with this. I'm looking for Introduction to Christianity classes and that's going well, but until I can find a class that I can attend, I feel like I should be doing something more to start my transition into Christianity. If it helps any, I'm looking into being either Episcopal or Methodist, but really any advice regardless of denomination would be welcome.

I literally can't believe that I'm trying to do this after all the times I told myself I would never be Christian when I was younger.

EDIT: I guess I'm not trying to convert just yet, just to be clear. I'm just dipping my toe into the pool of Christianity and seeing what it has to offer me. I'm just inquiring and exploring. That's all. :)
Feel free to shoot any of us any questions you might have if you want to know more about Christian faith and teachings. And most importantly, pray. Establish a daily habit of prayer and keep to it. Read the Bible, read the writings of the Church Fathers. If you're curious about a denomination, Google them and find their official websites; they almost always have a Q&A session where they detail their beliefs, or where you can listen to sermons from their pastors or livestream worship services from your home. YouTube these denominations to see in more detail what they teach and what their worship services are like.

Super Universe

Defender of God

People are going to try and direct you towards their brand of Christianity. Why not just read the New Testament for yourself?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To that, let me also add that one of the single best books dealing with Christianity is a very old one, and that is "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas Kempis.