• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Serve the Word in Christianity

Treasure Hunter

An essential aspect of the Word has to include the way to receive the Word. If I don’t know how to receive the Word, then how can I keep and follow the Word?

Holy scriptures, teachings, and rituals are in service to this task. They assist in the question of how to receive the Word. Once you can receive the Word, what else do you need besides the Word? “In the beginning... ... and the Word is God.” Is the Bible God? Is liturgy God? Or do they assist in relating to God, relating to the Word?

Christianity can be simply understood as people looking to Christ and asking, “How do I receive your Word?” In the Bible, Christ is clear that in order to serve him you must serve the least. In other words, serve the least and then you will receive the Word.

If you still haven’t decoupled the Word from the Bible, from liturgy, from the words of your priest/pastor, then you have yet to figure out how to serve the least.

DNB

Christian
An essential aspect of the Word has to include the way to receive the Word. If I don’t know how to receive the Word, then how can I keep and follow the Word?

Holy scriptures, teachings, and rituals are in service to this task. They assist in the question of how to receive the Word. Once you can receive the Word, what else do you need besides the Word? “In the beginning... ... and the Word is God.” Is the Bible God? Is liturgy God? Or do they assist in relating to God, relating to the Word?

Christianity can be simply understood as people looking to Christ and asking, “How do I receive your Word?” In the Bible, Christ is clear that in order to serve him you must serve the least. In other words, serve the least and then you will receive the Word.

If you still haven’t decoupled the Word from the Bible, from liturgy, from the words of your priest/pastor, then you have yet to figure out how to serve the least.
Countless individuals have received the Word, and yet, only a few are chosen.
Receiving the Word is not an essential aspect of salvation or evangelism, outside of the fact that '...one cannot believe, if they have not heard...'.
Point is, comprehension an conviction are the integral dispositions required in order to gain any benefit from being exposed to the Word.

In other words, I have absolutely no idea as to what you mean, or where it is to be found, that Jesus ever said 'in order to receive the Word, you must serve the least'.
You are incorrect on both accounts: you do not receive the word by serving anyone, and whether you serve the greatest or the least is incidental to the efficacy of the act of serving in and of itself. Making yourself the least is the point in the latter case.

Receiving the Word does not guarantee any benefit whatsoever - for those who reject it, are worse off than if they had never received it.
Understanding and accepting the Word is what counts.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Receiving the Word is not an essential aspect of salvation or evangelism, outside of the fact that '...one cannot believe, if they have not heard...'.
Point is, comprehension an conviction are the integral dispositions required in order to gain any benefit from being exposed to the Word.

In other words, I have absolutely no idea as to what you mean, or where it is to be found, that Jesus ever said 'in order to receive the Word, you must serve the least'.
You are incorrect on both accounts: you do not receive the word by serving anyone, and whether you serve the greatest or the least is incidental to the efficacy of the act of serving in and of itself. Making yourself the least is the point in the latter case.

Receiving the Word does not guarantee any benefit whatsoever - for those who reject it, are worse off than if they had never received it.
It's not good enough to just believe in Jesus, you must also abide by his teachings and do as he did. There are different ways to be saved in the Bible, because it depends on what idols are placed ahead of love for God. Jesus was very clear on his desire for the least to be first, to be served first, etc. Those that rest on their laurels and think they should get the best because they are rich, educated, exalted in society, etc are wrong. Joel Osteen is going to have an interesting eternity; not one that he is expecting.

Treasure Hunter

I’m coming from the position that it is very difficult to receive the Word and you have the view that countless individuals have received it. Do you not agree that the Word is God? Would you say that countless individuals have received God?

We should remember that there is a wide path and a narrow path. We are to seek the narrow path.

Treasure Hunter

It's not good enough to just believe in Jesus, you must also abide by his teachings and do as he did. There are different ways to be saved in the Bible, because it depends on what idols are placed ahead of love for God. Jesus was very clear on his desire for the least to be first, to be served first, etc. Those that rest on their laurels and think they should get the best because they are rich, educated, exalted in society, etc are wrong. Joel Osteen is going to have an interesting eternity; not one that he is expecting.
Christ associates himself with the least and constantly emphasizes to lower yourself. It is a test of faith since whatever we make ourselves subject to, we will embody. The open question that followers of Christ are to struggle with: who is the least? What tests my faith more than it is currently being tested?

Let's assume I do pray and he sends his word. How do I know if I get it?
I believe the questions and prayers are going into thin air. There's nothing.

Treasure Hunter

Let's assume I do pray and he sends his word. How do I know if I get it?
I believe the questions and prayers are going into thin air. There's nothing.
Being deceived is unavoidable. Accepting reality checks is necessary so that we can try again. Deception and failure is a sign that we didn’t lower ourselves enough previously and that we should dig deeper next time.

Part of lowering yourself is the willingness to be a beginner and potentially play the fool.

Last edited:
Being deceived is unavoidable. Accepting reality checks is necessary so that we can try again. Deception and failure is a sign that we didn’t lower ourselves enough previously and that we should dig deeper next time.

Part of lowering yourself is the willingness to be a beginner and potentially play the fool.
Lowering myself???
Where did that rubbish come from?

Treasure Hunter

Lowering myself???
Where did that rubbish come from?
I’m speaking generally. We have to lower ourselves in order to relate to the least who Christ associates himself with. It’s a fundamental aspect to following Christ. Before everything else, lower yourself, serve, and receive the Word.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What sort of 'service' does this word need?
What would happen if this service were neglected?

Treasure Hunter

What sort of 'service' does this word need?
What would happen if this service were neglected?
You serve the Word by believing in what it promises (abundant life) and following its commands.

Neglecting it inevitably results in deterioration and destruction. Death.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the common word you probably mean to say is "humility". Being humble is different than "lowering yourself", which has the connotation of debasing yourself.

Yes, saying "I don't know" is a humble thing to say, and necessary in order to be open to learning anything.

BTW, why do you use the word "The Word" as you are? Why not just say Christ? If you're not speaking of 'Word' in the context John was in his gospel, it's just confusing. I prefer to say "the Logos", as that says a lot more. "The Word" is often conflated in people's minds with the Bible, or preaching, or the gospel message. Logos means a whole lot more than that.

Treasure Hunter

I think the common word you probably mean to say is "humility". Being humble is different than "lowering yourself", which has the connotation of debasing yourself.

Yes, saying "I don't know" is a humble thing to say, and necessary in order to be open to learning anything.
When Christ washes the feet of sinners, is that more humble or degrading? We must lower ourselves.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When Christ washes the feet of sinners, is that more humble or degrading? We must lower ourselves.
Why do you keep saying "lower ourselves", which is confusing everyone. Why not just be accurate and say "humble ourselves", or "be humble," or "show humility"? Why do you think "lower ourselves" communicates something more or better than that?

It sounds like "stooping down to the level of a servant", a lowly servant, etc. "Lower yourself down to be like janitor, who are lowly people." Or better still, why not just say, love others?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I disagree. I think we should raise others up, not lower ourselves. The former actually helps. The latter just hurts us and adds to the problem.

In the Biblical narrative, Jesus was being humble when he washed the feet of sinners. Because he did it out love, I don't think it would have felt very degrading to him at all.

Treasure Hunter

Why do you keep saying "lower ourselves", which is confusing everyone. Why not just be accurate and say "humble ourselves", or "be humble," or "show humility"? Why do you think "lower ourselves" communicates something more or better than that?

It sounds like "stooping down to the level of a servant", a lowly servant, etc. "Lower yourself down to be like janitor, who are lowly people." Or better still, why not just say, love others?
Are you reacting this way because “lowering self” seems unpleasant and inconvenient to you? If so, that is exactly what I mean. It is a struggle.

Treasure Hunter

I disagree. I think we should raise others up, not lower ourselves. The former actually helps. The latter just hurts us and adds to the problem.

In the Biblical narrative, Jesus was being humble when he washed the feet of sinners. Because he did it out love, I don't think it would have felt very degrading to him at all.
I agree that he did it out of love, but it is still a degrading act. He was showing what it means, what is required, to follow him.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I agree that he did it out of love, but it is still a degrading act. He was showing what it means, what is required, to follow him.
I think that, in order to view something as degrading, you have to at least partially see it as something bad that's happening to you.

Do you think Jesus felt bad that he had to touch those he loves? Do you think he felt humiliated by the act of serving someone he cares about? Do you think his pride was wounded by what other people might think of him if they saw him washing someone's feet, and that he was embarrassed by the fact that he was doing it?

I don't think so. I think you feel that it's degrading, but I'm not convinced that Jesus did. I doubt Jesus even had a second thought about the act. He was probably more focused on serving those he cared about than how it might impact his status in the social hierarchy. I think that's the point. Not that he degraded himself, but that he didn't because it's never degrading to treat other people as equals and serve them out of love.

Treasure Hunter

I think that, in order to view something as degrading, you have to at least partially see it as something bad that's happening to you.

Do you think Jesus felt bad that he had to touch those he loves? Do you think he felt humiliated by the act of serving someone he cares about? Do you think his pride was wounded by what other people might think of him if they saw him washing someone's feet, and that he was embarrassed by the fact that he was doing it?

I don't think so. I think you feel that it's degrading, but I'm not convinced that Jesus did. I doubt Jesus even had a second thought about the act. He was probably more focused on serving those he cared about than how it might impact his status in the social hierarchy. I think that's the point. Not that he degraded himself, but that he didn't because it's never degrading to treat other people as equals and serve them out of love.
We imagine ourselves in his place if we want to follow him. When we serve the least, yes it is degrading because what we serve, we will embody. What belongs to the father belongs to the son. Likewise, what belongs to the master belongs to the servant.

The least is the one who is degraded. If the one we serve is not degraded, then it is not the least.