• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to read Quran- the amazing revealed Recitation for correct understanding?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
leibowde84 said: ↑
So, can you read Arabic? I'm confused.
Paarsurrey said:
Why? Please
Regards
paarsurrey said:
I can understand Quran in Arabic, directly.
Regards

How? Please.
Regards
He asked about people who can't understand Arabic reading the Quran correctly. You said that you were able to do it. And then I asked whether you understand arabic. You do. You don't see the contradiction?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
He asked about people who can't understand Arabic reading the Quran correctly. You said that you were able to do it. And then I asked whether you understand arabic. You do. You don't see the contradiction?
No.
My mother tongue is not Arabic yet I can understand Quran. Is it bad to read Quran in Arabic and understand it directly in Arabic with some effort.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I want to repeat here Post #195 in another thread. Its contents are relevant to this thread also:

One has to adopt a proper measure to understand the truthful scripture, it is not like reading a novel or a story-book.
Please give it another try.
One should be clear of any bias while reading Quran.
Kindly start studying Quran from the beginning to the end, then read it again please and have a note-book with you while intently reading it. One should write down the valid question arising in one’s mind very naturally; this is not prohibited. If the context makes the questions clear or one realizes that one’s question is not valid; one could delete it and proceed further. This may take sometime of course; but it is worthwhile trying it, after all it is an oft quoted book of an important world religion.
I think it is not difficult to understand the verses by using a common sense approach which is generally helpful for understanding any book in the world.
A single verse without the text and the context could be sometimes misleading.
One cannot correctly understand the meaning of a word unless one knows the whole sentence in which it has been used; the value of a sentence could be best understood in a passage, and of a passage is best understood in a chapter. The reference with the context is therefore most essential for a meaningful understanding.
This helps to understand the verses; hence Quran is self-explanatory.
Quran in the very beginning make it known that it is a book for guidance to humanity to the righteous and as such it should be referred to in the ethical, moral and spiritual matters. Why persist to use it otherwise?
Another thing is that science is never final in anything; there is always a room for improvement in knowledge of science; nobody has closed yet the book of science; so why at all compare it with Quran.
Quran leaves the field of science open for search and research for the believers and the non-believers alike; it does not block science for investigation or oppose it.
Science does not have any absolute realities; it is a tool of human beings for physical advancements and with the available data it searches and researches till it matches with the nature; nature is the master. Nature existed when humans had virtually no knowledge of science; and science is subject to improvement as and when new data is obtained. It has no claims to perfectness.
It is therefore futile to look for any scientific mistakes in Quran; there is none there.
It provides guidance on temporal, moral and spiritual matters. Quran does not want that it should be believed only as a book of authority from an authority. It provides the wisdom to a thing and reason and logical arguments, in a way, that it is not a tedious book like the books of philosophy which are full with difficult terminology not understood by the common man. It mentions wisdom for the Philosophers, experts and the common people all at one and the same time; as it is guidance for everybody.
I think it appropriate here to suggest an on-line website for studying the same:
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/index.php
It is true that Quran if read in the Arabic language a little loudly in a manner that it does not disturb others has its own spell-bound charm; that cannot be denied.
Nevertheless; its real charm is its profound system of meaning conveyed in its message; one could benefit from it, in any language. Where-ever the translator has not been able to comprehend the meaning correctly, one could check the original Arabic word and find its etymology, available online.
I have personal experience of this; people borrow questions from unfriendly websites; but when referred to Quran, for the text and context, the questions become irrelevant.
I may add here that all translations, in fact, are commentaries as one could translate only to the extent one understands; if one does not understand fully one’s translation would be defective to that extent.
As is evident translations of Quran are not the real words of God; that is factual and reasonable; that does not mean that Quran should not be translated for understanding it.
When one has finished it, we can compare our notes with one another.

Regards

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No.
My mother tongue is not Arabic yet I can understand Quran. Is it bad to read Quran in Arabic and understand it directly in Arabic with some effort.
Regards
No, it's wrong to say that anyone can understand the Quran in aarabic. It is, understandably, probably on the bottom of the list of any language people would have reason to learn in the west. So, it would be beneficial to state that you do know how to read arabic in this context which is why you can understand the meaning of Quranic verses.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No, it's wrong to say that anyone can understand the Quran in aarabic. It is, understandably, probably on the bottom of the list of any language people would have reason to learn in the west. So, it would be beneficial to state that you do know how to read arabic in this context which is why you can understand the meaning of Quranic verses.
If one is interested in reading Quran because it is the religious scripture of Islam "the second-largest religion by number of adherents and, according to many sources, the fastest-growing major religion in the world"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam.
One could start with any translation and when one finishes from cover to cover, there is no harm in studying it once more from the original text in Arabic.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Further to post Post #16, I would like to add the following.
For example we take verse 4:35 which is not understood by many correctly.
Suppose:
the meaning of verse 4:35 = x *
*people differ with its meaning or say its value is unknown.

• To know its correct meaning we will take the previous verses in the context, say, 4;29 - 4:34, we see all these verses are compassionate with not only near-relatives of the husband and wife but even to the distant relatives of both, and even to neighbours.
  • We also observe the same compassionate behaviour in the context verses that follow the verse " x" or (verse 4:35), that is 4:36-40.
  • The first verse of the chapter 4:1 is very compassionate, and it repeats in Quran, in this sense, every verse should be understood grounded in compassionate sentiments , not otherwise.
  • Husband and wife are not enemies, they are a loving family, so the meaning should be understood within the relative appropriate scope.
  • From this we get the limit within which we could ascertain the correct meaning, value of the verse "x".
Hope, I am able to explain it to friends.
Regards

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
On the other hand, Christians and Jews don't seem to have this problem with the Bible, which was originally written in ancient Hebrew and Greek. We don't claim that you must read it in the original languages to understand it. Just get a good, scholarly translation that is well-regarded in the mainstream academic world.

That hasn't always been the case, though.
Translation arguments have been central to schisms/near schisms more than once.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Further to post Post #16, I would like to add the following.
For example we take verse 4:35 which is not understood by many correctly.
Suppose:
the meaning of verse 4:35 = x *
*people differ with its meaning or say its value is unknown.

• To know its correct meaning we will take the previous verses in the context, say, 4;29 - 4:34, we see all these verses are compassionate with not only near-relatives of the husband and wife but even to the distant relatives of both, and even to neighbours.
  • We also observe the same compassionate behaviour in the context verses that follow the verse " x" or (verse 4:35), that is 4:36-40.
  • The first verse of the chapter 4:1 is very compassionate, and it repeats in Quran, in this sense, every verse should be understood grounded in compassionate sentiments , not otherwise.
  • Husband and wife are not enemies, they are a loving family, so the meaning should be understood within the relative appropriate scope.
  • From this we get the limit within which we could ascertain the correct meaning, value of the verse "x".
Hope, I am able to explain it to friends.
Regards

One should use the context method of understanding Quran correctly, it saves one in misunderstanding Quran. It exposes those who are biased in their approach. For practice please try getting correct meaning of another verse # [8:61] mentioned in Post #42 .

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
On the other hand, Christians and Jews don't seem to have this problem with the Bible, which was originally written in ancient Hebrew and Greek. We don't claim that you must read it in the original languages to understand it. Just get a good, scholarly translation that is well-regarded in the mainstream academic world.
Their problem has got aggravated. They have lost the original text.
Regards

Shad

Veteran Member
I always thought that that excuse given by Muslims was very stupid and desperate. It seems to be a way for them to dismiss criticisms of the Qur'an coming from English speakers and speakers of other languages besides Arabic, by saying that it doesn't say what you think it does and confuse those who don't know Arabic. In other words, it's a trick. You would think the Almighty would come up with a better way to deliver His message that wasn't hindered by being given in such an apparently difficult language that only a minority of His followers can understand and which can only be properly understood by studying it in the aforementioned impossible to accurately translate language. That rather screws over the many millions of people who are illiterate, doesn't it? It also really screws them over doubly since the religion at hand forbids images so they can't even depict the messages that the Qur'an contains. I mean, the intricate stained glass windows on churches, icons and paintings were referred to as the "poor man's Bible" to help those who couldn't read understand the message of the Biblical stories.

A lot of times Muslims do make such claims when it comes down to verses which are seen as immoral by modern standards. However what is ironic is that this reference is used as a defense yet the person in the reference founded the very source I have used which Muslims deny when it is convenient. Such as:

http://corpus.quran.com/wordmorphology.jsp?location=(4:34:29)