• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to prove?

exchemist

Veteran Member
My point would be that each of us "observe" subjectively because we are the subjects doing the observing, and our observations are being determined by what we can, and what we expect, to see. Our very nature is a bias. There is no "objective reality" that we will ever be able to apprehend, because to apprehend anything, we (the subjects of the subjectivism referred to as "subjective reality") are doing the apprehending. And we cannot escape ourselves. So that "objective reality" is a perpetual myth that we humans imagine exists, but can never actually experience, ourselves. And science doesn't overcome this limitation because science is a process created by us, and evaluated by us, according to our conceptual expectations. It is as subjective as everything else about us, is.
It is just a matter of definition, I think. There is obvious value in defining that which all observers (or what seem to be observers, since my perception of them could also be an illusion) agree on.

If we are not allowed to call that objectivity, mankind cannot uses the term at all, it seems to me, and then we have to invent another term to use instead.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
In that case, it is an ambiguous figure. it can be interpreted as either a duck or a rabbit. Of course, it is neither. It is a bunch of ink on paper, or a bunch of dark places on a screen, or even a bunch of electrons acting a certain way.

Our brains do not always interpret what we sense correctly. This is a wonderful example of where our brains get confused.

Now, is the claim that spirituality is *always* an ambiguous figure? Is it actually impossible to get at a 'truth'? Or are you saying that our brains will always interpret it wrong no matter what we do?
The purpose of that post was much more narrow.

It was asserted that since descriptions of the spiritual realm don’t correspond at all, we may conclude that people aren’t seeing the same thing.

Since we can imagine that the spiritual realm *might* be ambiguous and since we can imagine that our brains *might* interpret it differently from each other, I don’t think we can make that conclusion.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is just a matter of definition, I think. There is obvious value in defining that which all observers (or what seem to be observers, since my perception of them could also be an illusion) agree on.
But there is just as much value for an individual in what he uniquely observes and understands. Shared human experience and understanding are great for those times when we need to cooperate with each other. But our unique experiences and insights are great for when we need to find our own meaning and purpose in life, as we all need to do. As this is just as important a task as mutual cooperation is.
If we are not allowed to call that objectivity, mankind cannot uses the term at all, it seems to me, and then we have to invent another term to use instead.
We can use whatever terms we want to. But it's important that we be clear in our minds about what exactly they are implying. Unfortunately, in English, we use the term "reality" to refer to both our imagined conception of what is, and to 'what is' regardless of our conception of it. Yet those are two very different phenomena. And then because we do not clarify which phenomena we are referring to when we use the term, we generate a great deal of confusion; both in our own minds and in the minds of others.

ecco

Veteran Member
Please explain what part you do NOT understand that we do NOT live in a clockwork Universe with hard determinism?

It would be really difficult to explain what part of a nonsensical comment is not understandable.

Perhaps - All of it?

Your comment on what I am saying is woo when you have nothing but fairy tale beliefs with materialism.

What you call my "fairy tale beliefs" are backed by the accumulated scientific knowledge of mankind.

What supports your supernatural pseudo-scientific woo? Books written by other people who believe in supernatural pseudo-scientific woo but make money with their writings.

exchemist

Veteran Member
But there is just as much value for an individual in what he uniquely observes and understands. Shared human experience and understanding are great for those times when we need to cooperate with each other. But our unique experiences and insights are great for when we need to find our own meaning and purpose in life, as we all need to do. As this is just as important a task as mutual cooperation is.
We can use whatever terms we want to. But it's important that we be clear in our minds about what exactly they are implying. Unfortunately, in English, we use the term "reality" to refer to both our imagined conception of what is, and to 'what is' regardless of our conception of it. Yet those are two very different phenomena. And then because we do not clarify which phenomena we are referring to when we use the term, we generate a great deal of confusion; both in our own minds and in the minds of others.
OK it looks to me as if we are not disagreeing much really.

I use a working definition of "objective" to mean what all human observers agree on, since there is nothing more objective available to any human being. And while I treat common observations as real - or as real as anything gets for us - the models we construct from these observations remain models of something real, rather than reality itself.

You introduce a separate issue when you mention the importance of unique personal experiences and I would not disagree. As someone who reads and sings, I am not one of those who think that valuable human experience is restricted to what we perceive in common.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I can taste chocolate. There are sensors on my tongue that evolved to do that. These sensors send signals to my brain...

There are no sensory organs to "taste" spiritual truth so, no, it is not the same.

Billions of years of evolution have given us organs to taste, see, hear, feel, smell. Nature never thought it was useful or necessary to devise an organ to sense spiritual truth. If a billion years of evolution didn't bring it about, it's probably not necessary or even desirable.

There exists inner sight and inner hearing. As Christ pointed out when He said things like ‘those who have ears to hear and eyes to see’. Meaning perception and understanding. We are born with an innate ability to perceive and understand truth but whether we do or not depends upon whether we use these abilities or not.

So someone can say here is truth but until you experience it for yourself you cannot accept it. That is why it is useless trying to prove God or metaphysical things like that because only each person for himself can discover it. No word of mine can upload truth into another persons mind or heart. They have to make the effort themselves and only then will they be rewarded according to their effort. A person who makes no effort finds nothing. So we can share but it’s impossible to prove truth or God to another person as it is a personal discovery. That’s just my opinion.

Pudding

How to prove spirituality to someone when spiritually is something that happens within us?
Step 1: You explain precisely what you mean by "spirituality" to the person you want to prove to.
Step 2: You present them the evidence which shows that spirituality does exist, if they think the evidence is convincing, they then believe spirituality exists, vice versa. Or, if one can find out the existence of spirituality only by correctly using a specific method, you then explain the method to them and let them use that method to find out the existence of spirituality. If they use the method and success, they believe, vice versa.

If they fail to find out the existence of spirituality by using the method you provide, you and/or them then figure out the reason why they fail if you and/or them wants to do so.
(a) If the reason is because incorrect procedure occurs when they practice the method, you correct them and ask them try again until they success. If they still cannot success no matter how you try to help them, you and/or them then give up. Or, you and them never give up, so you spend your entire life helping them repeatedly practice the method until they success.
(b) If they have accurately follow every step of procedures when practice the method but still fail to find out the existence of spirituality, it may because (i) you con/prank them , (ii) they con/prank or lied to you, (iii) you are deluded, (iv) they're deluded, or (v) other answer.

How to prove to someone that realm we do not see with physical eyes does exist?
Step 1: You explain the full details of that invisible realm to the person you want to prove to.
Step 2: You present them the evidence which shows that invisible realm does exist, if they think the evidence is convincing, they then believe that invisible realm exists, vice versa. Or, if one can find out the existence of that invisible realm only by correctly using a specific method, you then explain the method to them and let them use that method to find out the existence of that invisible realm. If they use the method and success, they believe, vice versa.

If they fail to find out the existence of that invisible realm by using the method you provide, you and/or them then figure out the reason why they fail if you and/or them wants to do so.
(a) If the reason is because incorrect procedure occurs when they practice the method, you correct them and ask them try again until they success. If they still cannot success no matter how you try to help them, you and/or them then give up. Or, you and them never give up, so you spend your entire life helping them repeatedly practice the method until they success.
(b) If they have accurately follow every step of procedures when practice the method but still fail to find out the existence of that invisible realm, it may because (i) you con/prank them , (ii) they con/prank or lied to you, (iii) you are deluded, (iv) they're deluded, or (v) other answer.

Does it need to be proven to someone who do not belive in other then physical existance?
You need to proven to them by present evidence or provide the method which they can use it to prove the existence of spirituallity/invisible realm, if you wish to convince them to believe those things exists as real beings, vice versa.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
There exists inner sight and inner hearing.

It would be impossible to understand anything about nature if we all go around making up things like inner sight and inner hearing and redefining words as we see fit.

As Christ pointed out when He said things like ‘those who have ears to hear and eyes to see’. Meaning perception and understanding. We are born with an innate ability to perceive and understand truth but whether we do or not depends upon whether we use these abilities or not.

When you use the word "truth" the way you do, you are using your own definition. The commonly accepted definition is:
truth
/tro͞oTH/
noun
  1. the quality or state of being true.
    "he had to accept the truth of her accusation"
    synonyms: veracity, truthfulness, verity, sincerity, candor, honesty, genuineness; More
    • that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
      noun: the truth
      "tell me the truth"
      synonyms: the fact of the matter, what actually/really happened, the case, so; More

• a fact or belief that is accepted as true.
      plural noun: truths
      "the emergence of scientific truths"
      synonyms: fact, verity, certainty, certitude; More
Even though the second usage includes the word "belief", note that it relates to scientific beliefs.

So someone can say here is truth but until you experience it for yourself you cannot accept it.

So someone can say "truth", but if the word is used with one's own definition, then all they say is meaningless and there is no reason to accept it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which is why it is necessary to have people from as many different backgrounds and with as many different ideas as possible to suggest testable alternatives and possible gaps in logic.
All this "possible gaps in logic", is coming up with a mutually shared perspective amongst individual within the group. It has more to do with coming up with a shared perspective, then actually understanding something beyond the individuals. The technical term for this is "consensus reality". Consensus reality, or what we like to call "objective reality" will vary from group to group.

These are simply shared frameworks of reality they all more or less agree to perceive reality through within that group. Those that vary too far afield from the middle ground are considered either "crazy", or better still "foreigners", savages, primitives, idiots, and so forth. :)

You can learn a little more about it in this brief article from Wiki Consensus reality - Wikipedia

Objectivity *is* having a public means of testing.
And that testing typically is devised to test against basic premises that the consensus reality brings into the criteria for testing. It's kind of like self-fulfilled prophecies, seeing what you expect to see. True "objectivity" is an illusion.

Well, that's what it means to be objective: that it is possible to have a public means of testing.
Yes, that is what we call objectivity because it's an agreed upon perception held loosely around a common perception. But as I said, it's an illusion that what we think together upon what something is, makes that something what we think about it is. A cat, is not a cat. We call it a cat. To the cat, it does not know it's a cat. "Cat" is our concept of reality imposed upon it. And then we pat ourselves on the back for believing we are understanding the truth of reality, objectively.

Don't get me wrong, consensus reality, or "objective reality" serves a true pragmatic purpose for us, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, actually reality is not limited by our ideas of its objectivity. What is objective truth to one generation, is a myth to another. And that can happen to the individual within their own lifetimes, many times over.

To say today what we believed yesterday was a lie, is itself a lie. It was, functioned, and served as objective truth to us then, just as what we believe is objective truth serves us today, but tomorrow will be considered a lie too, unless we recognize that it's all metaphors to begin with, and currently still is. All "objectivity" to our minds are simply metaphors, not actuality, not the thing-in-itself. An "objective metaphor" is an oxymoron.

Strange. So most people don't just experience? They always add language to it? Sure, as a means of communicating with others, but internally also?
Yes, internally also. And that is the pitfall. Because by languaging it, we change its nature from raw experience to a memory that has a wrapper of words and ideas around it. Doing that changes it, reduces it to fit within the conceptual frameworks and boundaries of our ideas. Words create boundaries around something, and when we think "logically", we actually filter out and disallow what does not fit into that. We "forget" pieces which cannot be compressed into that framework of reality we hold in our minds through language.

This is why meditation is so powerful and affords the meditator much greater depths of insight and realization about the nature of truth and reality, because it deliberately seeks to get rid of words through conceptualizing ideas about something. It illuminates the world and ourselves and our own experiences "as is", including all our previously held ideas of what constitutes "objective reality".

Just to restate, this does not mean that we don't still find pragmatic usefulness in "objectivity". We need to do that. But what it does is it opens the mind to see that it's all simply just a way to talk about reality, and it's not necessarily truly objective, that that is in fact what we see it as, individually or collectively. It changes a concrete reality, into something much more intune with its truth, which can be apprehended beyond mind and reason and logic. One breathes reality, not reasons it.

I guess I just do this naturally. It doesn't seem difficult or problematic. The hard part, for me, is putting experiences into language to be able to communicate them to others.
This is why listening to others how they frame and express reality is important. If we limit the metaphors to "Science", then we limit reality, reducing it to propositional truth statements. I think what comes naturally for most every person who has ever lived, is to be programmed with language to see reality as the group they are part of sees it. This is an evolutionary feature, repeating functional patterns for the sake of social cohesion. It usually takes something comparable to a baseball bat to the head to make someone questions these inherent ideas of reality. We call these Awakening experiences. These are Enlightenment moments, which forever change one's assumptions about truth and reality, or objectivity.

Then finding words, becomes the real challenge, because others will inherently and mistakenly take them literally, as descriptors of objective truths and ask the mystic, "Prove to me God exists" or "Show me objective proof for spirituality", similar to what started this discussion.

Well, for me, it has meaning only if it is true. To find out it is merely symbolic or that it is not 'real' makes the experience vacuous.
This illustrates my point. To call symbolism "merely", proves a lack of understanding of what metaphors and symbolism in particular are and perform for us. Carl Jung stated that "the mechanism that transforms energy is the symbol". To say "merely a symbol" makes little sense. A symbol is far more powerful than a simple descriptor of reality as held by conventions of the programmed mind. It leads one to new depths of understanding and being in the world.

Think of it like looking at the night sky and seeing countless stars littering the endless expanse. To make sense of this we create patterns. We overlay a map of our minds upon it. We see a lion, or a rose, or a hunter, or a ship. We call it Leo, or Orion. These are metaphors. They are not actualities. All of language itself is just this for reality. What we call a thing is not its reality, but a pattern of recognition we relate to it and call it for convenience sake. But what happens then, as we use these metaphors day in and day out, then they become descriptors of reality. When a metaphor becomes a descriptor of reality, it becomes a dead-metaphor. Reality is collapsed into a conceptual model of the mind, as the reality of it.

The symbol then, stands out in language from mere descriptors, and reclaims its finger-pointing to something beyond itself, which then moves the mind and heart, and the energies of life and being itself beyond words and ideas and concepts. This leads to transformation, as opposed to simple or "mere" translation. So "mere symbol" is hardly accurate.

OK, so I don't get why symbols, in that sense, are needed. Just have the experience. Why move the experience to something else and thereby negate it?
Symbols are pointers to help someone break free from their programmed conventional thought patterns. To truly have an experience beyond those, the symbol stands as the doorman at the gate, ushering your into transcendent experience. The other way is to simply and deliberately deconstruct this illusion of reality, our "consensus reality" or ideas of "objective truth" and enter into meditative states. But reasoning and using logic to "figure it out", will always end you right back to the illusion of the mind.

The other way is that metaphorical baseball bat to the head, having a spontaneous Awakening experience which slams a wrecking ball into our mentally constructed realities through language and culture.

No, reality is NOT what I choose it to be. That is the whole point. Reality is there no matter what I tell myself or what I want. It is independent of what I believe. That is the whole point.
But what you believe about it is not its "objective reality". It's your metaphors reduced to descriptors of reality, taken as facts, thus collapsing reality to a mental construction, shared or otherwise.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How to prove spirituality to someone when spiritually is something that happens within us?

Does it need to be proven to someone who do not belive in other then physical existance?
I don't see the need.

Milton Platt

The first step is to precisely define the word "spirituality".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The purpose of that post was much more narrow.

It was asserted that since descriptions of the spiritual realm don’t correspond at all, we may conclude that people aren’t seeing the same thing.

Since we can imagine that the spiritual realm *might* be ambiguous and since we can imagine that our brains *might* interpret it differently from each other, I don’t think we can make that conclusion.
If two people, both looking into a "spiritual realm" see different things, then they aren't seeing the same thing.

Even taking into account differences in perception and interpretation, there are times when a set of claims implies that two - or more - people's observations ought to correspond. In these situations, intersubjective verification is a point in favour of the truth of the set of claims, while a lack of intersubjective verification is a point against the truth of the set of claims.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If two people, both looking into a "spiritual realm" see different things, then they aren't seeing the same thing.
That’s why I posted my rabbit/duck. You can see the same thing and interpret it differently.

Since we can only go by their interpretation of what they saw— since we don’t have the original to compare— we can’t say whether the interpretations differ because what they saw was different or whether the interpretations differ because of some ambiguity present.

Even taking into account differences in perception and interpretation, there are times when a set of claims implies that two - or more - people's observations ought to correspond. In these situations, intersubjective verification is a point in favour of the truth of the set of claims, while a lack of intersubjective verification is a point against the truth of the set of claims.
I agree that the fact they don’t match weakens the claim. I just don’t think it’s enough to definitely conclude anything.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
it can not give a constant result because if you use more then one person they will be on different level of wisdom and they will do things a little different and they will understand same thing a little different. this is why science never could prove what spiritual people belive in

I think it's curious how you are making knowledge claims about things that you yourself are defining as unknowable....

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Let's try this for the next step: We will attempt to prove something that everyone assumes exists.
Prove the existence of thought.
I don't know the answer.

Put a person under a brainscanner and perhaps also use a few control subjects.
Ask several questions, show some picture, have the person listen to music,.... in some kind of controlled fashion.

Then watch and document the brain activity shown on the scanner.

And then off course, there are also the first baby steps in the technology of "mind reading devices". It's still very raw, but science is succeeding in the first steps into that world.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
All i speak about is from a spiritual point of view.

But you ARE making knowledge claims about this "spiritual" way of thinking.
You ARE making claims about how people are on "different levels of wisdom".
You make such claims as if you are able to "measure" these "levels of wisdom". Because otherwise, what does the word "level" even mean?

But at the very same time, you are saying that the entire thing isn't accessible for testing purposes. It can't be shown to be real. It can only "believed". It can't be tested. It can't be gauged. It can't be measured. It can't be evaluated. By extension, it can't be quantified, demonstrated or even only studied.

Yet, you make knowledge claims about it and refer to "levels" of wisdom that are apparantly required.

If it is true that it can't be tested, validated, evaluated, demonstrated, studied,..... then why on earth are you making knowledge claims about it? By your very own definition, it would be impossible for you to know anything about it - and that includes the knowledge that it even exists in the first place.

It sounds like you want to have it both ways. But you can't, off course.
Either it is knowable (and thus demonstrable, studyable, testable, etc) or it isn't.

If it is, then you should be able to show and test it.
If it's not, then you shouldn't be making any knowledge claims about and prefix everything with "it's just what I believe".