• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to prove a personal god exists

Sigma9222

I assume mainstream religions has this belief? That God answers their prayers. He can make tides seize and such with his power and might

So here is an idea, i dont think this is technically testing him either. But if scientific reasons works here

Get a bon fire, sacrifice food or something. Invoke God. See if Bonfire becomes magic fire or something. Invoke Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Buddah or whatever. And if this works constantly. Then there you go. Thats the real god.

Interms of scientific seeing if there truly is a personal god or not. If not then... well there you go

Lain

I assume mainstream religions has this belief? That God answers their prayers. He can make tides seize and such with his power and might

So here is an idea, i dont think this is technically testing him either. But if scientific reasons works here

Get a bon fire, sacrifice food or something. Invoke God. See if Bonfire becomes magic fire or something. Invoke Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Buddah or whatever. And if this works constantly. Then there you go. Thats the real god.

Interms of scientific seeing if there truly is a personal god or not. If not then... well there you go

This would not prove that deity necessarily.

Also you have a glorious name.

Sigma9222

This would not prove that deity necessarily.

Also you have a glorious name.

I mean in context that you use your will and might. And it will not work on other intentions or names. So you have to truly believe in that one religious path when offerings are made and waiting to see that sign to bonfire. Which if it works constantly then its true.

But if lightning strikes once.. and it doesnt happen next time or in general atleast. One has to assume its pure coincidence.
But if magic fire or something happens all the time when invoking the name and intent of the religious path, and magic fire or something goes to bonfire. Then most likely that religion is true

I dunno, it just seems sensical interms of scientifically proving which deity is true or not.

Psalm23

This reminds me of 1 Kings 18:21-39 between Elijah the prophet and the prophets of Baal. They were to build an altar with a bull on the altar and call on the name of their God and the God who answered by fire is God( see verses 23-24)

I tried this before.

Nimos

Not really :)

Im not aware that God in particular demand random sacrifices. :)

However you should be able to test it using this from Matthew and see if that hold true (pretty sure it doesn't though :)):

Matthew 18:19-20
19 - Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.
20 - For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

If you go into it with that attitude you think the Gods will actually respond to you lmao

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

If God could somehow be personal then I imagine ignoring God like I ignore cats would provoke an interaction. Just look away from any cat and look very interested in something cat doesn't think is interesting. This always provokes a response in cats, so why not God?

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

I have never seen, heard, read about or come up with a means to provide objective demonstration for any god or even God that I believe in.

AlexanderG

If your god interacts with reality in any reliably detectable way, then you should be able to predict and test this effect based on the understanding of your god. This would be evidence.

Otherwise, if you only think your god affects your thoughts, feelings, and hopes, then it's indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If you want to prove a personal God exists, its not too hard do do that in the mind and imagination.

However in reality, it's clear there's no way to ever prove something that just simply isn't there.

If I sacrifice food in a bonfire, I am guaranteed a good meal at least.

danieldemol

Premium Member
This reminds me of 1 Kings 18:21-39 between Elijah the prophet and the prophets of Baal. They were to build an altar with a bull on the altar and call on the name of their God and the God who answered by fire is God( see verses 23-24)
Isn't it strange how we are handed down tales of miracles being displayed openly then when it comes to Jesus its like, "You shall not test the Lord"?

In my opinion.

Psalm23

Isn't it strange how we are handed down tales of miracles being displayed openly then when it comes to Jesus its like, "You shall not test the Lord"?

In my opinion.

Deuteronomy 6:16 also says not to test the Lord. Exodus 17:1-7 speaks on what happened at Massah. The attitude of the people here was wrong.

In the case of Elijah in 1 Kings 18:21-39 , I believe this was a special circumstance and not something to be tried today.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Deuteronomy 6:16 also says not to test the Lord. Exodus 17:1-7 speaks on what happened at Massah. The attitude of the people here was wrong.

In the case of Elijah in 1 Kings 18:21-39 , I believe this was a special circumstance and not something to be tried today.
What was wrong with the attitude of the people at Massah (overlooking for a moment that it is a fictional story)?

If you had been taken out of a stable lifestyle then left to die of thirst you would be complaining about it too.

You appear to be blaming the people for something which was God's fault. God could have foreseen that they would get thirsty and provided water in advance so they didn't need to complain.

Also in that story God may begrudgingly do a miracle, but God still allegedly does it.

So why can't God begrudgingly do a miracle for the peoples of today.

God could solve world hunger and then complain about the attitude of the doubtful hungry people that God should have provided for before they even got hungry.

In my opinion.

Wandering Monk

Is God material? If not, then his existence cannot be 'proved' by science.

If he is NOT material, you can suggest anything you like about his attributes and abilities with no consequences. Who could falsify any of it? Quite convenient.

Toss in supposed 'prophets' who presume to speak in his name and know his mind and motivation and you have all the ingredients for rule by religious authorities.

Last edited:

Psalm23

What was wrong with the attitude of the people at Massah (overlooking for a moment that it is a fictional story)?

If you had been taken out of a stable lifestyle then left to die of thirst you would be complaining about it too.

You appear to be blaming the people for something which was God's fault. God could have foreseen that they would get thirsty and provided water in advance so they didn't need to complain.

Also in that story God may begrudgingly do a miracle, but God still allegedly does it.

So why can't God begrudgingly do a miracle for the peoples of today.

God could solve world hunger and then complain about the attitude of the doubtful hungry people that God should have provided for before they even got hungry.

In my opinion.

One thing I see wrong with their attitude is that they would have seen the signs and wonders beforehand ( the plagues on Egypt, the pillar of cloud lead them by day and the pillar of fire by night, the dividing of the Red Sea ) but they did not trust that God would provide and complained instead of asking God to provide.