• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to pick a wedding date?

Lintu

So everyone keeps asking if we've set a date, and we haven't yet. But now that we both have jobs, I really want to. I'm thinking late April or early May of 2006. How do you figure out what to pick? Just pick one out of a hat of options?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can't tell you how to pick a wedding date, but perhapsI can help you avoid a pitfall.
Marie and I had planned an April wedding; we were looking hard for a house to buy towards the end of the year before our intended date, and happened to fall upon the ideal one in September.
Being cautious with money, and having decided that the house was ideal for us, we bought it straight away. We then realized that we would be paying a mortgage and keep (at home) for at least 7 months, and so decided to move the wedding date forward.
Marie, in a flash of well meaning inspiration said "Why don't we set the date as the 6th November - that's my mother's birthday; it will be such a happy day for her".
Well, our wedding aniversaries have since been focussed on My mother in Law's birthday - not that it really matters, because we just celebrate our anniversary a day or two late.
On reflection, we both wish we hadn't chosen that day!:)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Lintu said:
So everyone keeps asking if we've set a date, and we haven't yet. But now that we both have jobs, I really want to. I'm thinking late April or early May of 2006. How do you figure out what to pick? Just pick one out of a hat of options?
Well Lintu since your heading down the Jewish path remember....
You can't get married during a High Holy day, so avoid that time of the year
And of course not on Shabbat....
Other than that just pick a day that works best for ya'lls schedule

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
limo.gif

No weddings around the Holidays. If you like summer, have a summer wedding. If you like winter where you like everything white, pick a winter wedding. My first wedding was July 5. It was hot, it was the holiday weekend and everyone really wanted to get drunk and they did. Let's just say that I wish I had a video camera and I would have been able to win $10k from America's Funniest Home Video
rofl.gif

My second wedding was in February, 2 years ago. The ground hog informed us that we had another 6 months of Winter left. It was not that cold but it was some what windy. It was the right date for us. Some get married on the date that they first met. Some get married on the date that they got engaged. Some get married on the weather that they preffer. What ever you will feel comfortable with. For some people they choose to get married on Sundays because it's cheaper. Good luck!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'd completely missed that you're getting married! Congratulations!

I say, pick up some darts and hurl 'em at a calendar!

Dr. Nosophoros

Congratulations,
When me and my wife got married (our own ceremony), we did it outdoors in the spring because it is generally warmer at that time, but not too warm- and we felt the newly blooming flowers and life was symbolic of our marriage being a new beginning. We wanted it outside and wanted it to be comfortable for our guests as well as utilizing a symbolism aspect, so that's how we chose it.