• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Leave the UMC

N0lyyfe

So, when i was 14, my parents had me baptized into the United Methodist Church.

At the time, I was quite willing. I thought that I thoroughly loved and believed in God. However, I soon discovered that I had been focusing only on the social aspect of religion and had been completely ignoring the actual religion itself. I spent (and still spend) a great deal of time researching Christianity and other religions. As i began to study my parent's religion, I became more and more skeptical. To try and make a long story short, I am now 18 years old and a sincere apostate and atheist (in the Bible Belt, no less).

So, here is my question.
I was simply wondering how one would go about formally renouncing one's ties to the United Methodist Church. Try as I might, I can find no satisfactory answer to this question. I mean no disrespect to the United Methodists; I was raised in their church and I will always feel somewhat connected to them. I do not, however, wish to have my name associated with their church any longer. It would be wrong to allow them to include me as one of their own when my beliefs (or lack thereof) are so contradictory to theirs.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
This is an old post, and I didn't see it when it was new, despite the fact that I was here when it was new. I will, however, answer it for anyone who has this question some time in the future:

To renounce your membership and association with the United Methodist Church, one simply needs to contact the church where you were confirmed and ask them to terminate your letter of membership. That's it. Simple, painless, and takes only a few minutes.