• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to learn more about Judaism

Many Sages One Truth

I am not wanting to convert persay, I'm just wanting to learn more about it. I was also wondering is there some kind of class I could take at the local synagogue, do synagogues have classes for people to learn more about Judaism?

Poisonshady313

I am not wanting to convert persay, I'm just wanting to learn more about it. I was also wondering is there some kind of class I could take at the local synagogue, do synagogues have classes for people to learn more about Judaism?

There are a few good books on the subject...

Jewish Literacy, by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin. It covers in great detail what a person could want to know about Judaism, without treating the reader as if he's incompetent, but without going over the reader's head.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Judaism. I'm absolutely serious about that one. It's also very thorough.

I'm sure there are others that others could recommend. I don't think there is any sort of class you could take at a synagogue. You might take a Jewish Studies course at a local community college for some basic introductory stuff.... but I'm sure if you seek out the nearest synagogue, you could probably find someone, especially the Rabbi, who'll be more than willing to answer questions.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

If you're looking for online sources some good ones are:

Chabad
Simple To Remember
Aish HaTorah
Mesora
Ask Moses

These sites all have a wealth of information about Judaism. I feel I must point out that all of these sources are Orthodox. I apologize if you're looking for something that isn't.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
There are a few good books on the subject...

Jewish Literacy, by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin. It covers in great detail what a person could want to know about Judaism, without treating the reader as if he's incompetent, but without going over the reader's head.

Yeah, I think Jewish Literacy is great. Each topic is a section that ranges from a half-page to a couple of pages; short and to the point. And for just about every topic Rabbi Telushkin gives a list of references and recommended reading. It's a great book to build a solid reading list from.

I also found A History of the Jewish Experience by Leo Trepp to be very helpful.

Tamar

I am Jewish.

The different movements have classes. The reform movement has a class that lasts about 4 months. In my area they do this particular class called "Introduction to Judaism" and it will be in 3 different synagogues during the year. Many people take it. Those who were born Jewish but not brought up Jewish. Those who are Jewish but are marrying a non Jew. Those who are interested in Judaism.

You would need to contact the URJ (Union for Reform Judaism) to find out about classes in your area.

There will never be any push towards conversion.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I read "The Everything Book of Judaism" while I was also reading a biography about a man who converted, and I think the stuff he brought up in a narrative experience was expanded upon in the 'Everything' book.... It's an 'Idiot's Guide' with a little more of a serious tone for application, over just 'knowing' about it.

I'm not Jewish specifically, but this is a book I found useful in dialog and understanding, to get a grasp of 'what is going on' and 'terms'.