• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Know if You Are Saved?

sealchan

If we have certainty, what do we need hope for? This translation makes no sense.

It could be read as faith is what the certainty of unseen things consists of. So in modern democracies have faith in free will and human rights and that faith is equivalent to a certainty that such things actually exist.

If we all believe with our lives that something invisible exists...does that make it real in some way?

Etritonakin

How does a Christian know they are saved? Is this a knowledge thing of a faith thing?

@halbhh The wedding parable...

One is invited but finds at the wedding they are not chosen

Folks have sincerely, in their hearts accepted Jesus as their Savior. For example the Westboro Pastor had sincerely believed he had accepted Jesus. Went on to assume every thought, understanding of God came to him divinely inspired.

Was he right or should Christians not assume their own salvation?

Should a Christian be certain of their salvation or continue to question it?

For example, I accept Jesus when I was seventeen. I took it on faith that everything that happened to me was God refining my spirit. The people I met, the situations I ran into were all intended towards making me worthy.

Where going forth into life, in faith lead me was to doubt the church, doubt the leaders, question the validity of the Christian religion itself. No where was one who exemplified the standards put forth by Jesus in my mind.

So I went seeking. What I found was a lot of ignorance, self righteousness and questions that Christianity couldn't answer.

So for me, sincere belief lead to non-belief. Did my once sincere belief save me or was I never saved?

If you are lost in the desert, you know you are saved when you are no longer ACTUALLY lost in the desert.
Many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip, as they say -so just keep doing that which leads to being saved EVENTUALLY.

If one day you find yourself no longer human -immortal -and not in the lake of fire... you're saved.

However... the fire is actually meant to save the rest! Not all realize that!

God is ABLE to destroy both body and spirit in Gehenna, but that does not mean that is what he WILL do.
He is also able to use it as an ultimatum/last resort/final purification for those who did not respond to anything else.

1 Cor 3:13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

THOSE will know they are saved when they are no longer in the fire!

1 Cor 15:20But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 21For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Did my once sincere belief save me or was I never saved?
Honestly, no one has any business trying to tell you one way or the other since it is between you and God. Salvation in Christianity is a process of transformation through the grace of God that takes a lifetime and not a one-time event like the Evangelicals like to erroneously believe. "I was saved, I am being saved and I will be saved" is how I've heard it put before.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Saved from Hell/torture/non-existence. Given access to paradise in the afterlife. From what I recall, that's what it is about, I think.

I tend to expect non-existence myself, which I suppose actually aligns with some Christian theology. They can sit there in Heaven and tell each other, "See, I told you so."
"Saved" might just be from pain. Don't know. Kinda think that's the wine. I keep drinkin' it. The bread is really, really tough. Haven't been able to eat that yet. Here's hopin'.

PearlSeeker

What I have observed is that God never actually speaks to me... it’s always somebody else speaking for God and, presumably, with the same authority as God.

Maybe God doesn’t speak at all but he just listens... maybe we should all just shut up and listen to the music playing all around us. Like the monks do in their monastery.

Listen and observe...

All this nonsense about salvation... if you can’t let go of your humble human life, then you don’t deserve it or understand it.
God’s Revelation to Elijah
Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:11-12)

sealchan

If you are lost in the desert, you know you are saved when you are no longer ACTUALLY lost in the desert.
Many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip, as they say -so just keep doing that which leads to being saved EVENTUALLY.

If one day you find yourself no longer human -immortal -and not in the lake of fire... you're saved.

However... the fire is actually meant to save the rest! Not all realize that!

God is ABLE to destroy both body and spirit in Gehenna, but that does not mean that is what he WILL do.
He is also able to use it as an ultimatum/last resort/final purification for those who did not respond to anything else.

1 Cor 3:13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

THOSE will know they are saved when they are no longer in the fire!

1 Cor 15:20But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 21For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

How do you know you are saved NOW...without having to wait for some unprovable reality to appear in the future?

Etritonakin

How do you know you are saved NOW...without having to wait for some unprovable reality to appear in the future?

Never stop keeping the commandments and doing good works!

And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

You're simply not done until you're done! Still -there is no need for fear. If you are concerned about it, you are on the right track. If you continue to overcome sin and endure, you're moving in the right direction on that track.

The same applies to being born again.

6Flesh is born of flesh, but spirit is born of the Spirit. 7Do not be amazed that I said, ‘You must be born again.’ 8The wind blows where it wishes. You hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son

How do you know your sins are forgiven?

I believe so, because:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
Luke 4:18-19

He said to them, "Let's go elsewhere into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this reason I came forth."
Mark 1:38

Whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained."
John 20:23

But, I think it is important to understand, forgiveness is not useful, if person doesn’t become righteous, because eternal life is promised for righteous. If person after forgiveness continues in sin, the forgiveness was not useful, because even if the old sin is gone, there is new sin and the wage of sin is death.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

For me it is not necessary to know do I get eternal life, or have my sins been forgiven. I want to live righteously anyway.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe so, because:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."

He said to them, "Let's go elsewhere into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this reason I came forth."

Whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained."

But, I think it is important to understand, forgiveness is not useful, if person doesn’t become righteous, because eternal life is promised for righteous. If person after forgiveness continues in sin, the forgiveness was not useful, because even if the old sin is gone, there is new sin and the wage of sin is death.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

For me it is not necessary to know do I get eternal life, or have my sins been forgiven. I want to live righteously anyway.
And what makes this source authoritative?

sealchan

I believe so, because:

If I understand correctly you cant really tell if you are forgiven, in fact, knowing that in a direct way is not necessary. You hope or assume that that is the case based on your reading of scripture and a sort of logical deduction from that correct?

But you dont have any sort of direct knowledge that tells you this is the case. There is no "indicator light" in your conscious experience that definitively shows the state of your salvation.

That may seem like an odd thing to point out, but I find it essential to understanding the basis of a person's knowledge in spiritual matters.

I appreciate your reply to this.

If I understand correctly you cant really tell if you are forgiven, in fact, knowing that in a direct way is not necessary. ...

I believe everyone’s sins are forgiven. But, eternal life is for righteous. If after forgiveness person is not righteous, the forgiveness was not useful.

PearlSeeker

I believe everyone’s sins are forgiven. But, eternal life is for righteous. If after forgiveness person is not righteous, the forgiveness was not useful.

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. (Matthew 5:45)

In him was life, and the life was the light of men /... / The true light that gives light to everyone /... / (John 1)

Eternal and blissful life is for all but some don't accept it. "They loved the darkness rather than the Light."

Muffled

Jesus in me
How does a Christian know they are saved? Is this a knowledge thing of a faith thing?

Folks have sincerely, in their hearts accepted Jesus as their Savior. For example the Westboro Pastor had sincerely believed he had accepted Jesus. Went on to assume every thought, understanding of God came to him divinely inspired.

For example, I accept Jesus when I was seventeen. I took it on faith that everything that happened to me was God refining my spirit. The people I met, the situations I ran into were all intended towards making me worthy.

Where going forth into life, in faith lead me was to doubt the church, doubt the leaders, question the validity of the Christian religion itself. No where was one who exemplified the standards put forth by Jesus in my mind.

So I went seeking. What I found was a lot of ignorance, self righteousness and questions that Christianity couldn't answer.

So for me, sincere belief lead to non-belief. Did my once sincere belief save me or was I never saved?

I believe I am saved because I believed.

I believe you were saved while you believed but if you stopped believing you are no longer saved. See the parable of the seeds.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was a hopeless alcoholic for many years. I have now been sober longer than I drank. So I can certainly say that I have been saved from myself, through my faith in power greater than myself.

I believe that is true but you are still not saved from your sin until you ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Christian answers to this question will be contingent on their preconceived soteriology. Calvinist types are going to say you were either never saved or that you'll come back to the faith before you die. Others who believe salvation can be lost will say you may have genuinely been saved at some point, but your apostasy now damns you.

I believe it is difficult to know whether a person was sincere but one can know if they were doing it the right way. For instance baby baptism doesn't count a salvation.

I believe it is possible that God pursues a person more diligently if at one time they believed. It show that it is possible for them to believe again.

I believe anything can be forgiven but certainly a lack of faith can't be continued to the end.

moorea944

Great question. How do we know if we are saved.....

Well, first of all, what does "saved" mean? Are we saved "into" something? "Out of" something? Being put aside for something to come? Or all three....

Salvation is not instant. It is a process through life. Scripture tells us that it is not just one thing that saves us. Some people think it is only belief and your saved. Bam!!! Your saved!!! But it doesnt say, the "only" thing you have to do is just believe. We know that scripture tells us that "proven faith" saves, baptism saves, truth saves, endurance saves, fear saves, etc, etc. Are we suppose to throw those things out if only salvation is based on belief? Belief IS important, but it's not the "only" thing that saves us. Look at Israelites in the wilderness, God saved them, but also destroyed them..... How come God destroyed them if they were "saved"?

We also must "know" our God. (John 17v3). Do we?
We also must walk a life in the Lord. Do God's will and not ours. Have faith AND works.... (James 2). Salvation is a life long journey. We cant "think" we are saved and just go on through life doing what we want to do.... doesnt work that way... God has called us for a reason. We've been "called out" from this world for a purpose.

In Revelation, Christ tells us that he will bring our promises and rewards with him when he returns. We dont get that when we die, he brings it to us. We also stand for judgement when he returns. We will know then and only then if we will be accepted into God's Kingdom. Look at Hebrew 11. No one in the bible has ever received anything. The dead (resurrection) will get that with the living (who havesnt died), together at our Lords return.