• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to kill your acting career

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You would have thought anyone working in the movies would know public impression is important for success

John Boyega clashes with Star Wars fans over ‘disgusting’ joke about Rey’s sex life
What is it about Twitter that makes people, particularly people in extremely visible positions that are hugely affected by public perception, always want to do and say things that look bad and then double-down on them over and over and over again?

Is it really so hard to just go "Sorry about that last Tweet - just a bit of a tasteless joke"?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What is it about Twitter that makes people, particularly people in extremely visible positions that are hugely affected by public perception, always want to do and say things that look bad and then double-down on them over and over and over again?

Is it really so hard to just go "Sorry about that last Tweet - just a bit of a tasteless joke"?
I swear Twitter is the social media equivalent of alcohol mixed with a sense of invincibility. A tactless joke is one thing. Fine whatever.
But surely people “in the biz” have PR people at least who can tell the actor not to double down lest they look like a douche.

A Vestigial Mote

Do people not get that we're all idiots yet? Holding something as dumb as this against someone is basically hypocritical. Anyone who states that they haven't said or done something just as tasteless at one point in their lives is lying. Sure, give him a moment of hell for it, but then forgive and forget on something like this. "The public" is all so freaking petty sometimes its disgusting. A freaking bunch of drama queens and gossip hounds.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do people not get that we're all idiots yet? Holding something as dumb as this against someone is basically hypocritical. Anyone who states that they haven't said or done something just as tasteless at one point in their lives is lying. Sure, give him a moment of hell for it, but then forgive and forget on something like this. "The public" is all so freaking petty sometimes its disgusting. A freaking bunch of drama queens and gossip hounds.

It doesn't really matter anyway. Star Wars has turned to crap.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
The difference is the reaction TO the reaction. It's not just a case of him saying something tasteless and people not letting it go despite him apologizing or whatever. It's him doing something tasteless, refusing to apologize, patronizing and insulting people who were upset/offended, and generally behaving like a jerk about it.

A Vestigial Mote

The difference is the reaction TO the reaction. It's not just a case of him saying something tasteless and people not letting it go despite him apologizing or whatever. It's him doing something tasteless, refusing to apologize, patronizing and insulting people who were upset/offended, and generally behaving like a jerk about it.
People who can't handle a few choice words thrown their way are abjectly weak in my opinion. Not only should he not have taken such offense to their drivel (i.e. displayed his own weakness), but he also wasn't hurling threats, wasn't trying to start anything with anyone (which underlies the accusation of weakness I would hurl at those who got into a shouting match with him) - he was defending himself with words, because a bunch of OTHER PEOPLE were on the attack with words. What he said was in poor taste... tell him that and get on with your life. Don's pass it on to your friends and snicker together as you label him a misogynist and high-five one another like you just scored one for "society."

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
People who can't handle a few choice words thrown their way are abjectly weak in my opinion.
Um, I'm not sure that's what happened here. What's happened is people OBJECTED to the joke.

If somebody says something you find offensive or degrading, is it weak to stand up for yourself or others?

He wasn't hurling threats, wasn't trying to start anything with anyone - he was defending himself, because a bunch of OTHER PEOPLE were on the attack.
He was attacking other people for calling him out for saying something that offended people.

What he said was in poor taste... tell him that and get on with your life. Don's pass it on to your friends and s****** together as you label him a misogynist and high-five one another like you just scored one for "society."
This seems like a double-standard. You seem to be fine with people objecting to something that is in poor taste - provided they keep quiet about it. And if a public figure, instead of acknowledging or apologizing for causing offense, starts to attack the people who objected to him and directly insulting them, those people should not respond because that makes them weak?

Is that your position?

A Vestigial Mote

Um, I'm not sure that's what happened here. What's happened is people OBJECTED to the joke.

If somebody says something you find offensive or degrading, is it weak to stand up for yourself or others?

He was attacking other people for calling him out for saying something that offended people.

This seems like a double-standard. You seem to be fine with people objecting to something that is in poor taste - provided they keep quiet about it. And if a public figure, instead of acknowledging or apologizing for causing offense, starts to attack the people who objected to him and directly insulting them, those people should not respond because that makes them weak?

Is that your position?
Give me a break. I already indicated that what he said was in poor taste, and that rebuking him for it (and then MOVING THE HELL ON) was justified. I said this. I did. Get it straight in your mind. So yes, people objecting to the joke is fine, but you tell him THAT. You don't start name-calling and trying to drag the person through the mud. Petty, insignificant, weak-minded, stupid, lame, moronic, pitiable. And this crap ISN'T "newsworthy." Not in the slightest. And yet here we all are... sharing some stupid tale of a whole bunch of dummies throwing words around like apes chest-thumping. Social media is mostly a set of dumpster fires, with people eating out of it as if it were a grand ol' barbecue.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Give me a break. I already indicated that what he said was in poor taste, and that rebuking him for it (and then MOVING THE HELL ON) was justified. I said this. I did. Get it straight in your mind. So yes, people objecting to the joke is fine, but you tell him THAT. You don't start name-calling and trying to drag the person through the mud. Petty, insignificant, weak-minded, stupid, lame, moronic, pitiable. And this crap ISN'T "newsworthy." Not in the slightest. And yet here we all are... sharing some stupid tale of a whole bunch of dummies throwing words around like apes chest-thumping. Social media is mostly a set of dumpster fires, with people eating out of it as if it were a grand ol' barbecue.

Still, the line must be drawn somewhere. Whether you draw it now, or closer to the tweets of certain politicians, is up to you.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I beg your pardon?

tenor-1.gif

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It was a joke in bad taste that he probably shoud've thought twice about, and those bothered by it could block/unfollow or whatever, but this tend of zealous vindictiveness and disproportionate responses needs to be dialed back. This guy just might be a douche, I don't know. What I do know is that people need to loosen up when it things that were clearly meant in jest.

A Vestigial Mote

Still, the line must be drawn somewhere. Whether you draw it now, or closer to the tweets of certain politicians, is up to you.
Don't "draw a line", that's my take. Examine things on a case-by-case basis, make judgments and act accordingly. As it stands we have an idiotic culture that rewards "public outrage." As if any of us are so perfect with our usage of words, the jokes or things we say that pop into our minds. We call each other out - fine. But end it there.

As it stands, we have a bunch of people going back and forth with this guy, literally whipping the whole mess up into a frenzy. The actual damage his initial comment may have caused is trivial - likely immeasurable - and ANY OTHER NON-CELEBRITY PERSON who had made the same joke would have been ignored entirely. Yes, he is a more public figure, potentially a "role model" - and so you rebuke him, tell him it was in poor taste. But don't publicly throw around labels like "misogynist," actively trying to damage the man and any potential career he's got fomenting. At that point, you're doing FAR MORE damage, and making it FAR MORE personal than this actor ever intended with his poor-taste, one-off, who-cares joke.