• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Jewish people understand Hosea 1:10?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Let's be honest. You just recently tried teaching Muslims about the Christian view of Hosea using this link and now you're doing the same for Jews. You picked a random verse and made some stupid question to ask about it as an excuse to post your link. If you're question was really about being comparing Israel to sand as you implied by your highlight, you would have quoted Genesis 22.

Your sly, deceitful behavior typifies the worst of evangelicals and easily brings to mind the snake tricking Eve with lies and half-truths.

Jedster

Let's be honest. You just recently tried teaching Muslims about the Christian view of Hosea using this link and now you're doing the same for Jews. You picked a random verse and made some stupid question to ask about it as an excuse to post your link. If you're question was really about being comparing Israel to sand as you implied by your highlight, you would have quoted Genesis 22.

Your sly, deceitful behavior typifies the worst of evangelicals and easily brings to mind the snake tricking Eve with lies and half-truths.
I think @whirlingmerc is using a different Bible.
POI there is no Hosea 1:10 in the Tanach I looked at.
Seems to me that the Christians have taken the first 2 verse of Hosea 2 and put them into Hosea 1.

Any ideas why?

rosends

Hosea 1:10
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be like the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or numbered. And in the place where it was said to them, “You are not my people,” it shall be said to them, “Children of the living God.”

see Hosea in more context --> Hosea and his family, a portrait of grace
Here, hope this helps:
"And the number… shall be: What is the connection of retribution and consolation juxtaposed in one speech? Our Rabbis explained in Pesachim (87b): Hosea felt that he had sinned by saying, “Exchange them for another nation.” He stood and begged mercy for them (See above 1:2). And in Sifrei Devei Rav, in the section commencing: “And Israel abode in ****tim” (Num. 25) we learned: Rabbi says: Some sections are close to each other yet as far apart as east is far from west. “For you are not My people… And the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea.” What is the connection of one to the other? This can be compared to a king who became angry with his wife. He summoned a scribe to come and write a bill of divorcement. Before the scribe arrived, the king became reconciled with his wife. Said the king, “Is it possible that this scribe should leave here divided?” I.e. his heart should be divided and bewildered, saying, “Why did the king send for me?” He said to him, “Come and write that I am doubling her kethubah.” And according to its simple meaning, this is the reason for its juxtaposition. “For you are not My people, and I will not be yours.” I will show Myself as though I am not yours, and you shall be exiled among the nations, and even there you shall multiply and grow, and there you shall lay it to your heart to return to Me, as it is said through Moses (Deut. 30:1,3): “And you shall lay it to your heart among all the nations where… has exiled you etc. And the Lord your God shall return your captivity.” Here too, “And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together.”

whirlingmerc

Here, hope this helps:
"And the number… shall be: What is the connection of retribution and consolation juxtaposed in one speech? Our Rabbis explained in Pesachim (87b): Hosea felt that he had sinned by saying, “Exchange them for another nation.” He stood and begged mercy for them (See above 1:2). And in Sifrei Devei Rav, in the section commencing: “And Israel abode in ****tim” (Num. 25) we learned: Rabbi says: Some sections are close to each other yet as far apart as east is far from west. “For you are not My people… And the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea.” What is the connection of one to the other? This can be compared to a king who became angry with his wife. He summoned a scribe to come and write a bill of divorcement. Before the scribe arrived, the king became reconciled with his wife. Said the king, “Is it possible that this scribe should leave here divided?” I.e. his heart should be divided and bewildered, saying, “Why did the king send for me?” He said to him, “Come and write that I am doubling her kethubah.” And according to its simple meaning, this is the reason for its juxtaposition. “For you are not My people, and I will not be yours.” I will show Myself as though I am not yours, and you shall be exiled among the nations, and even there you shall multiply and grow, and there you shall lay it to your heart to return to Me, as it is said through Moses (Deut. 30:1,3): “And you shall lay it to your heart among all the nations where… has exiled you etc. And the Lord your God shall return your captivity.” Here too, “And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together.”
It is a leading intro verse where the promise to Abraham of having descendants like the sand is in apparent conflict with the state of the nation so a reasonable question

whirlingmerc

Actually. Hosea makes significant claims related to Jesus and appears several important places in the New Testament so I was interested

rosends

Actually. Hosea makes significant claims related to Jesus and appears several important places in the New Testament so I was interested
Those are two very different statements. Its use in a later work has no bearing on the claim that it makes claims that are related to Jesus. It doesn't, no matter how it is used.

And if it is quoted in Harry Potter, that doesn't mean that it makes references to Hagrid.

whirlingmerc

Those are two very different statements. Its use in a later work has no bearing on the claim that it makes claims that are related to Jesus. It doesn't, no matter how it is used.

And if it is quoted in Harry Potter, that doesn't mean that it makes references to Hagrid.
Hosea buying back homer is a stunning picture of redemption. But ok. Whether it represents Jesus is an issue. The hope in the book does point to a david figure which I take as messiah

whirlingmerc

I think @whirlingmerc is using a different Bible.
POI there is no Hosea 1:10 in the Tanach I looked at.
Seems to me that the Christians have taken the first 2 verse of Hosea 2 and put them into Hosea 1.

Any ideas why?
There are different chapter breaks with Hosea. I think the Jewish breaks might make more sense. Catholics and protestants break and number psalms different from each other. Not sure which is closer to Jewish numbering but I don't worry allot how someone breaks chapters