• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to interpret the christian Bible?

Faithofchristian

Good question.
I go by what's written.
(Galatians 1:8) However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond the good news we declared to you, let him be accursed.

The disciples would have tested the spirit, by considering what was said, against what they were taught by their master, whom they realized without a doubt, fulfilled the prophets, and Psalms.

Those who listened to the apostles tested the spirit, by considering what the scriptures said, against what the disciples said. If they lined up, then they were good to go.
(Acts 17:11) Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Today, we have both the writings of the Tanakh, and the Gospels, and letters of the apostles, and early followers of Christ.
If what we hear lines up with those, we are good to go.

So that when people like @Muffled :p tells us something, whether a revelation, or a message from an angel, or something else, we test the sprit, by using God's word.

It was so serious, that Paul said....
However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond the good news we declared to you, let him be accursed.

Oh, @Faithofchristian how do you try the spirit?

Your asking me how to test the Spirit,.
That's evidence enough that you have no clue or idea what spirit is talking to you..

If you do not know how to try the spirits..then how do you know what Spirit it is talking to You????

nPeace

Veteran Member
Your asking me how to test the Spirit,.
That's evidence enough that you have no clue or idea what spirit is talking to you..

If you do not know how to try the spirits..then how do you know what Spirit it is talking to You????
Say what?
So you asked me because you don't know? Oh, okay. I get it.
m1722.gif

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think all of the parables that were taught are a great way to teach.
par·a·ble/ˈperəb(ə)l/ noun
a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson
It is just a story - no need to debate if it actually happened or not, no need to debate if it is true or not - it is just a thought-provoking story with a moral. The morals - the point of the entire thing is lost when anyone tries to claim it is "true" or claim "it really happened", starts debating evidence. Leave everything as a parable - with room for multiple interpretations of it (because it is just a parable, no right or wrong interpretation of it - each person will find what they need from it)...
Parables. → The best way to "interpret the Christian Bible" is to see it all as parables.
Remember: Matthew 13:34 & Mark 4:34-35 that Jesus would Not speak to the public without a parable illustration story.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hey, thanks for that reminder URAVIP2ME. Let me go check on @metis. I asked for an explanation on that, and never got one.
Maybe I should look for another Catholic to answer the question.
Though, I really though he was eager to explain. :(
I did answer your question and, as a matter of fact, more than once. It's this simple: "veneration" is not the same as "worship", thus Catholics are forbidden under Canon Law to worship any object.

So, please stop being dishonest about this as I repeatedly addressed this issue.

Faithofchristian

Say what?
So you asked me because you don't know? Oh, okay. I get it.
m1722.gif

Not at all...your the one that was asking me how to try the spirits..
All your showing is that you have no clue or idea yourself.. what is means to try the spirits.
Therefore you have no clue or idea what spirit it is speaking to you..
Nice try though..

metis

Kind of like 2nd Cor. 5:7 that Christians walk by faith and Not by sight ( sighted objects or items )
"Not by sight" was a reference to those who did not directly hear or see Jesus but still do believe in him through their faith.

I find Jesus said at Matthew 6:7 when praying do Not say the same things over and over, so the model Our Father prayer (Luke 11:2-4) is Not meant to be repeated or recited word for word but as a model or sample to follow...Not a prayer to memorize repeating the same words over and over as with reading out of a book.
We use all sorts of prayers, and all prayers are addressed to God through Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The most repetitive prayer, which is not said at mass, is the Rosary, but with that prayer the repetitive prayers are used like a "mantra" while one focuses on the interpretations and applications of what is being said. IOW, it's what some call "meditative prayer", which we know was heavily used by the prophets and almost undoubtedly by Jesus himself. The basis of the Rosary is what Mary was told by her cousin, Elizabeth, but then it goes forward from there.

If you don't like such prayers, then don't use them. But, after all, which ever format is being used, all such prayers are oriented to God directly or indirectly.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............. If you don't like such prayers, then don't use them. But, after all, which ever format is being used, all such prayers are oriented to God directly or indirectly.

I think you know Christians pray, the model Our Father prayer is a sample to follow - Luke 11:2-4.
Because only Jesus is Mediator between God and man, then all prayers are only directly towards God - 1 Timothy 2:5

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
............ It's this simple: "veneration" is not the same as "worship", thus Catholics are forbidden under Canon Law to worship any object. .................
I am wondering where the line is drawn between worship and veneration ______
The 'New Catholic Encyclopedia' defines 'veneration' as " a religious act, an act of worship." ________
The same type of worship due the person can be rendered to the image as representing the person.
Thus, an image can include: pictures, icons. statues, symbols anything that is: venerated.
So, how could one consider bowing down or praying before or kissing an image Not be connected to worship ____

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
............ The basis of the Rosary is what Mary was told by her cousin, Elizabeth, but then it goes forward from there......
I find in the Bible there was No first-century rosary. Also,the Bible does Not assign Mary the role of ' intercessor '.
I find Jesus said that No one can come to the Father except through Jesus - John 14:6
So, Jesus is the only Intercessor, the only Mediator, between God and man.

metis

I think you know Christians pray, the model Our Father prayer is a sample to follow - Luke 11:2-4.
We say the Our Father at every single mass.

Because only Jesus is Mediator between God and man, then all prayers are only directly towards God - 1 Timothy 2:5
The word "directly" is not correct here, as we not only can pray through Jesus and the Holy Spirit, but we Catholics also believe we can pay through those "saints" that have "passed over", namely "the communication of saints" per the Apostle's Creed that is the oldest of all the creeds used that and was passed on down through the Apostles and through their appointees. Thus the "saint(s)" is/are not the ends of these prayers.

metis

I am wondering where the line is drawn between worship and veneration ______
That's very easy: "worship" is expecting the object to actually magically do something, whereas "veneration" is just as a reminder. With the latter, for example, much like in most Christian denominations, pictures [drawings] are often used, including those of Jesus.

Praise Jah

Psalm 83:18

I believe the Best way to interpret the Bible is to interpret it in a loving and kind way. Why?
Because it is written in the Bible that God is goodness, love, justice

And in the Bible the greatest commandment of God is:

Matthew 22:36-40
6 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Therefore I believe the logical conclusion is to is to interpret the Bible in a loving and kind way. And a loving and kind God care most about peoples heart and our actions, not which religion we follow

What do you think about this? Any thoughts?
Yes, God does care about our hearts and actions. Because of sin and imperfection our hearts are treacherous (Jeremiah 17:9) and we must fight against the temptation of wrongdoing. (Romans 7:23-24)

In order to please God we must listen to him. He requires our obedience in all aspects of our life and that includes how we worship him.

God requires pure worship and therefore sets the standard on how he wants to be worshipped. Engaging in any form of worship that ignores any or all of God's requirements displeases God and is worship in vain. (Matthew 15:9) (Matthew 7:21-23)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Not at all...your the one that was asking me how to try the spirits..
All your showing is that you have no clue or idea yourself.. what is means to try the spirits.
Therefore you have no clue or idea what spirit it is speaking to you..
Nice try though..
Post #70
Faithofchristian said:
By all means do tell how you try the spirits to know whether or not if they be of God..
Who wrote this? Not you? Was it an evil spirit? :D

nPeace

Veteran Member
I did answer your question and, as a matter of fact, more than once. It's this simple: "veneration" is not the same as "worship", thus Catholics are forbidden under Canon Law to worship any object.

So, please stop being dishonest about this as I repeatedly addressed this issue.
Which is more important to you metis... creating an image for man, or being approved by God?
Creating a pretext here, does not fool anyone, nor does lying in the hope of making one's self appear saintly. Makes me smile. :)
...but then I don't think many professed Christians believe in God, anyway, especially based on how they view the Bible. They do try to put on a false front.

I didn't see your post actually. I was not notified. So there is nothing dishonest about that.
However, keep it up. It's making you look good, and you are winning a lot of favors... I'm sure. :innocent:

I'll address your post, as soon as I get an issue sorted out. :)

John1.12

Free gift

I believe the Best way to interpret the Bible is to interpret it in a loving and kind way. Why?
Because it is written in the Bible that God is goodness, love, justice

And in the Bible the greatest commandment of God is:

Matthew 22:36-40
6 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Therefore I believe the logical conclusion is to is to interpret the Bible in a loving and kind way. And a loving and kind God care most about peoples heart and our actions, not which religion we follow

What do you think about this? Any thoughts?
Axiomatic minimalism .
1 ) The bible is true
2) It comes from God
3) God cannot lie.
Then we read the bible in discovery mode ,
Noticing who ,what, when, why and where in context, rightly dividing.

metis

Which is more important to you metis... creating an image for man, or being approved by God?
Why are you portraying this as being either/or, as one should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Also, since God commanded to make these images for Moses' staff and for the Ark pf the Covenant, can't you see the basic lack of logic in what you wrote above?

Creating a pretext here, does not fool anyone, nor does lying in the hope of making one's self appear saintly. Makes me smile. :)
...but then I don't think many professed Christians believe in God, anyway, especially based on how they view the Bible. They do try to put on a false front.

Well, there you go again, judging others while ignoring what Jesus taught. How utterly pathetic.

If you knew your Christian history, you would know that the canon of the Bible you use was based on the Catholic Church during the 4th century that you badmouth on a regular basis here. The Bible did not choose itself, and as a matter of fact the Church had to decide from around 1000 "books" [letters], and that process took decades.

So, do you have any intent whatsoever to obey Jesus on not judging others, or are you just going to continue on with judgementalism? Are you also going to stop telling other what they supposedly are thinking or are you going to just continue on being presumptuous?

As Catholics, were are taught not to judge others and be presumptuous of another person's character in any kind of negative way, as we all are creatures of God. We are taught that Jesus taught us to "love one another as I have loved you" [John 15:12], thus not "judge one another and put evil thoughts into someone else's minds" as you have done with the above.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why are you portraying this as being either/or, as one should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Also, since God commanded to make these images for Moses' staff and for the Ark pf the Covenant, can't you see the basic lack of logic in what you wrote above?
Oh. You entirely missed what I said. :) I was not talking about images, as in idols.
I was referring to the other image.
(John 5:44) How can you believe, when you are accepting glory from one another and you are not seeking the glory that is from the only God?
(John 12:43) . . .for they loved the glory of men even more than the glory of God.

Well, there you go again, judging others while ignoring what Jesus taught. How utterly pathetic.

If you knew your Christian history, you would know that the canon of the Bible you use was based on the Catholic Church during the 4th century that you badmouth on a regular basis here. The Bible did not choose itself, and as a matter of fact the Church had to decide from around 1000 "books" [letters], and that process took decades.

So, do you have any intent whatsoever to obey Jesus on not judging others, or are you just going to continue on with judgementalism? Are you also going to stop telling other what they supposedly are thinking or are you going to just continue on being presumptuous?

As Catholics, were are taught not to judge others and be presumptuous of another person's character in any kind of negative way, as we all are creatures of God. We are taught that Jesus taught us to "love one another as I have loved you" [John 15:12], thus not "judge one another and put evil thoughts into someone else's minds" as you have done with the above.
Oh, look how righteous... :laughing: You seem to have your own scripture too. "Judge while ye not be judged". :laughing:

stop being dishonest about this
If you knew your Christian history, you would know
So, do you have any intent whatsoever to obey Jesus on not judging others

Oh wait. You are not judging. You are calling it as it is. :laughing:
Me. What would I know about that. :laughing:

metis

Oh. You entirely missed what I said. :) I was not talking about images, as in idols.
I was referring to the other image.
(John 5:44) How can you believe, when you are accepting glory from one another and you are not seeking the glory that is from the only God?
(John 12:43) . . .for they loved the glory of men even more than the glory of God.

Oh, look how righteous... :laughing: You seem to have your own scripture too. "Judge while ye not be judged". :laughing:

stop being dishonest about this
If you knew your Christian history, you would know
So, do you have any intent whatsoever to obey Jesus on not judging others

Oh wait. You are not judging. You are calling it as it is. :laughing:
Me. What would I know about that. :laughing:
In all my years here at RF, I have never run across someone like you, who twists and turns things to suit themselves, as much as you have and continue to do. And laughing at others is not only rude, it even violates basic Christian decency. Do you also laugh at people whom are crippled? Do you also laugh at maybe your own children if they made a mistake? Maybe your own spouse? Whom else do you laugh at, nP?

Some of us here have been involved in Catholicism for decades, and some of here have taken classes and even taught Catholic theology, and yet you strut around here like a peacock telling us what we supposedly believe even after we repeatedly tell you that we don't. Could you be any more arrogant? I doubt it.

One of your fellow JW's, who will go unmentioned, posted a while back that Catholics worship the sun. When I posted four or five different Catholic sources that clearly showed that we don't and can't, it only stopped you fellow JW for a short bit. But sure enough, (s)he posted it again, including just recently. I mention this because I see a pattern with a couple of you JW's here, but fortunately not all.

Finally, I have had enough of your repeated dishonesty, thus this will be my last post directed at you regardless as to what the topic is.

Again:
Micah 6[8] He has showed you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk
humbly with your God?

Goodbye

Last edited: