• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to interpret the christian Bible?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
First we exegete the texts. Then we establish a baseline for who God is. Is God loving? Kind? Faithful? True? Compassionate? Merciful? Good? Hospitable? Equitable? Then we interpret what is written in terms of how an interpretation resonates with whom we have found God to be.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think it has to do with recognizing Jesus in every person we encounter. There is a delightful little children's book, 'Where love is there is also God', which illustrates the same idea. The shoemaker has a dream that Jesus will visit him the next day. Again he dreams how disappointed he is because Jesus never did visit him, and in that dream the faces of all the people he helped that day, and Jesus saying 'It was I'.
If Jesus is in every person, why are they sheep and goats, and the goats are so terrible they are rewarded eternal destruction?

pearl

Pardon me? Could you put that another way. i am not sure what you are saying.

My mistake, it should have been, those who do not recognize Jesus in another. What we do for/to another we do to Jesus. 'Lord, when did we see you.....

nPeace

Veteran Member
My mistake, it should have been, those who do not recognize Jesus in another. What we do for/to another we do to Jesus. 'Lord, when did we see you.....
Oh. Understood. Thanks.
How do I recognize Jesus in a prisoner serving time for kidnapping children, raping them, killing them, and burying them?

pearl

How do I recognize Jesus in a prisoner serving time for kidnapping children, raping them, killing them, and burying them?

Jesus did not ask us to judge and only God knows what is in ones heart as he/she serves their time. For all we know they may be seeking redemption.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Jesus did not ask us to judge and only God knows what is in ones heart as he/she serves their time. For all we know they may be seeking redemption.
That's a very good answer.
So that means visiting all the prisoners, and not picking and choosing which I prefer, based on what I know about them is showing love as Jesus said. Is that right?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

I believe the Best way to interpret the Bible is to interpret it in a loving and kind way. Why?
Because it is written in the Bible that God is goodness, love, justice

And in the Bible the greatest commandment of God is:

Matthew 22:36-40
6 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Therefore I believe the logical conclusion is to is to interpret the Bible in a loving and kind way. And a loving and kind God care most about peoples heart and our actions, not which religion we follow

What do you think about this? Any thoughts?
So many in so many passages in the scripture, the common bible, relies very heavily on full reading of all the surrounding passages and getting a feel for the language and literary way things are being communicated.

So that for very many things it's not possible to interpret them well without that full total reading, of the entire book the passage is in.

And that's even before you also notice that many passages rely also on the context given in other sections for their full meaning and correct interpretation.

For these reasons, the common bible is widely misunderstood in quite a few places (hundreds), which are significant.

And even for things that can be understood without that more full reading, the fuller reading will enrich and add so much.

:)

nPeace

Veteran Member
@pearl perhaps the poster of the OP might believe I need love to interpret Matthew 25 correctly, but I am glad to hear that you agree with me that we need humility in order to know the love of God, because the potential may be there to consider what I am going to say.

First, I'll like to mention that your expressions reveal to me that you are a person who is considerate of people, and try to show love to your neighbor, which is very good.
You probably do this because you wan to please God.
Whatever the case, it is a good thing to do.

In fact, I think of the words of Jesus, in his sermon on the Mount of Olives.
(Matthew 5:38-48) 38 “You heard that it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39 However, I say to you: Do not resist the one who is wicked, but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him. 40 And if a person wants to take you to court and get possession of your inner garment, let him also have your outer garment; 41 and if someone in authority compels you into service for a mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one asking you, and do not turn away from one who wants to borrow from you. 43 “You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, 45so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. 46For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing? 48You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Fine words indeed, for being peaceable with all men. It helps us avoid trouble too - like getting into heated arguments or conflict that could lead to death.

Love though, is not limited to just a few things, as I am sure you know.
Jesus did not actually describe love, which would help us get a better understanding of what love involves, although he did give us some good principles.
Love is described in 1 Corinthians 13, and there we can see some other details, which we might not have considered.

For example, a person may do kind acts for others - help an old lady carry her groceries... but he may be impatient. He may be one who can't have a conversation without easily and quickly losing their patience. I wonder what @metis thinks about that...

A person may donate to charity, and give to others, things they can part with, but they may love unrighteousness - things God hates, or they may brag, or be puffed up, because of their achievements.
Their education may have "gone to their head", and they look down their nose at people who don't have the education they had.
Not love, according to the Bible.

So we see then that love involves so much more than doing some kind acts for our neighbor, and thinking that's automatically love for God.
What love of God means, must involve doing all that he requires of us, including things we may not want to do - like bearing witness to the good news to all our neighbors... including those who would curse us, and slam the door in our face. ;)

That's a primary way we show love to our neighbor, because spiritual things are better, and more important than physical things, and the message Jesus preached is a life saving message - saving persons for everlasting life.
Even the leader of the Catholic Church acknowledges this. He may not like the fact that "his flock" become potentially marked with the JWs brand, nor may he like the message, but he cannot deny the facts - If one believes their message is a good one, certainly they will make sure they waste no time, or opportunity effectively in reaching their neighbors with it.
This also showed Vittorio Messori Catholic writer in his recent book Scommesse sulla morte (a bet on death), who writes: “It makes us think that Jehovah’s Witnesses, is one of the religious denominations of the fastest growing in the world. It is among the religions that are practiced in many countries and perhaps […] is first in terms of fervor, zeal, activism, the ability to make proselytes. ” “And his presence, increasingly pronounced, is not limited to Christian tradition countries, but reaching the whole world, where in the name of Jehovah, and before long, they get results that are superior to those of Catholic missionaries, Protestants and Orthodox, who have worked for centuries. ”

“This stunning expansive force is incomprehensible only to those who simply do not want to admit that […] course in how to understand the Bible, Jehovah’s Witnesses meet the real needs that other theologies do not meet.” “You can not get around the issue suggesting that the growth of witnesses is because they scare people is precisely the opposite:. Unlike the churches” official “, deny the existence of hell and preach the destruction, disappearance after death to the wicked and unbelieving. This may be an unpleasant prospect, but certainly less frightening than the threat of a terrible pain for all eternity. “Yes, the God of Jehovah’s Witnesses is a loving God, and not one that terrorizes the people .
Wouldn't you agree?

It is in keeping with what Jesus told Peter.
(John 21:15-17) 15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He replied to him: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Feed my lambs.” 16 Again he said to him a second time: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He replied: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Shepherd my little sheep.” 17 He said to him a third time: “Simon son of John, do you have affection for me?” Peter became grieved that he asked him the third time: “Do you have affection for me?” So he said to him: “Lord, you are aware of all things; you know that I have affection for you.” Jesus said to him: “Feed my little sheep.

Likely you noticed, that Jesus asked Peter, if he loved him, before expressing his requirement.
This is keeping with what Jesus said earlier, at John 14:15 - "If you love me, you will observe my commandments. . ."

So love for God, and Jesus, clearly includes obeying Jesus' command to go, make disciples, teaching them to obey all the things Jesus has commanded. (Matthew 28:19, 20)

Finally...
On Matthew 25, something to consider...
The sheep and the goats are symbolic, of the spiritual condition of the people.
Jesus said, of himself, I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably; naked and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you visited me.’

These conditions are symbolic of conditions of "one of the least of these my brothers" - his brothers.

While persons might apply this to doing good works for others, and thus pleasing God, that does not mean that that is what Jesus had in mind.

We can discern that Jesus is not talking about random people in the world. How so?
We know this, for a number of reasons.

For one thing, Jesus applied family ties - not to fleshly relationships, but spiritual.
(Matthew 12:46-50) 46 While he was yet speaking to the crowds, his mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to him. 47 So someone said to him: “Look! Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak to you.” 48 In reply he said to the one who spoke to him: “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49And extending his hand toward his disciples, he said: “Look! My mother and my brothers! 50For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, that one is my brother and sister and mother.”

(Matthew 10:40) Whoever receives you receives me also, and whoever receives me receives also the One who sent me.

(Mark 9:41) And whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, I tell you truly, he will by no means lose his reward.

(Hebrews 6:10) For God is not unrighteous so as to forget your work and the love you showed for his name by ministering and continuing to minister to the holy ones.

Jesus stated clearly whom his brothers were, at John 20:17 - Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”

Jesus' brothers are those who would be heirs with him, because they are adopted sons of God, they are his brothers.
So "when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?" 

In reply the King will say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

Because, they supported Jesus brothers in their spiritual state of need - that is, the "hardships" they experienced in their assigned work, they are considered sheep.
They are sheep-like - humble, and they support Jesus' brothers, in carrying out their work here on earth.

Of course, I don't expect people to say, "Yeah. You know, that's right." That's the way I understand it, based on the scriptures.

I am wondering about something though. I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on it @pearl.
It relates to what Jesus said at Matthew 7
At the very beginning, Jesus said, "Stop judging."
Then in verse 6, he says, “Do not give what is holy to dogs nor throw your pearls before swine, so that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open."
In verses 15 and 16, he says, “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will recognize them."

I'm wondering how persons, apply those verses.
I hope you can share your thoughts. :)

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe the Best way to interpret the Bible is to interpret it in a loving and kind way. Why?
Because it is written in the Bible that God is goodness, love, justice..........................

Because the Bible is Not written in ABC order as a dictionary is then we need to research the Bible by topic or subject arrangement taking one topic or subject at a time just as the people of Acts of the Apostles 17:11 did.
A comprehensive concordance puts the Bible in alphabetical order for us and that helps us see the internal harmony between the Bible writers because the Bible is chock full of corresponding cross-reference verses and passages.

I find God's main attributes or qualities are: love, justice, wisdom and mercy besides the fruit of God's spirit as listed at Galatians 5:22-23 of which ' goodness ' is one on that list of nine.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......And in the Bible the greatest commandment of God is:
37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”.......................

I find the ^above ^ to be accurate regarding the Constitution of the Mosaic 'Law' for ancient Israel - Leviticus 19:18.
Regarding the end of that old Law, Jesus gave a NEW commandment as found at John 13:34-35.
Under the 'Law of Christ' (Galatians 6:2) now we are to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule.

Faithofchristian

37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Therefore I believe the logical conclusion is to is to interpret the Bible in a loving and kind way. And a loving and kind God care most about peoples heart and our actions, not which religion we follow

Well that all depends on who actually does the interpretation of the bible..

Seeing a lot of Christians are taught by man's teachings and doctrines in the churches..thinking they will give the interpretation of the bible..

When in fact the Spirit of God has already given the interpretation of all things in the bible himself..

But rather than let the Spirit of God do the interpretation...
Christians for some unknown reason think they can do a better job than the Spirit of God can..
But yet it was the Spirit of God who given the inspiration to the prophets to write down what the prophets written down..

This is why it's written in
1 Corinthians 2:14--"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him, neither can he know them, because they are Spiritually discerned"

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I find the ^above ^ to be accurate regarding the Constitution of the Mosaic 'Law' for ancient Israel - Leviticus 19:18.
Regarding the end of that old Law, Jesus gave a NEW commandment as found at John 13:34-35.
Under the 'Law of Christ' (Galatians 6:2) now we are to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule.
One way to think of the golden rule, which Christ said was the essence of all the Law, is that it is the how-to for "love your neighbor" .

It's a very practical guide, or instruction manual, for good love towards others in all situations, where once in a while (even if rare) it can be harder to figure out what to do without that kind of extra guidance.

firedragon

Veteran Member

This is my opinion.

How to interpret the Bible is to separate it to each author as much as one could. Especially separate the Tanakh and the New Testament, then separate the Septuagint from the Tanakh and know that Septuagint is a hellenised so called translation of the Tanakh, which originally was only the pentateuch.

Then you should try your best to understand that based on textual criticism the scholars have developed a critical text and Nestle Alands text is basically the standard. Thus you should try to come from the text itself, not from the inherited information you already had based on the textus receptus.

Thats from a purely textual point of view. Its best not to approach it with a preconceived notion like love or hatred.

Art1787

Well, that's actually a pretty good approach, as long as we don't contradict any scriptures along the way. See what the Bible and other early Christian sources say in the broad strokes. God with the preponderance of the evidence. To get a head start, you could refer to "To the Law and To the Testimony," (Amazon).

nPeace

Veteran Member
Well that all depends on who actually does the interpretation of the bible..

Seeing a lot of Christians are taught by man's teachings and doctrines in the churches..thinking they will give the interpretation of the bible..

When in fact the Spirit of God has already given the interpretation of all things in the bible himself..

But rather than let the Spirit of God do the interpretation...
Christians for some unknown reason think they can do a better job than the Spirit of God can..
But yet it was the Spirit of God who given the inspiration to the prophets to write down what the prophets written down..

This is why it's written in
1 Corinthians 2:14--"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him, neither can he know them, because they are Spiritually discerned"
Why do you think that people in the Church do not allow God's spirit to guide them, but only the single individuals that claim that they are different to those in the Church, are guided by God's spirit?

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe the Bible says the heart is desperately wicked. So what might seem kind and loving could be a deception of the heart.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I agree that a loving and kind God cares most about virtues, not which religion we follow.

But I also believe it is truthful to say that the ancient men who wrote the Bible did very much care about which religion we should follow.

So I could not read a loving and kind God back onto the text of the Bible because in my opinion the two are not fully compatible.

So if God didn't have a problem with wrong religions then whydoes he say: "Isaiah 53:6 6We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."
For me the best way to interpret the Bible is to split up all of the texts according to who their original author was and to try to get into the mind of that original author, how he himself thought and not a later redactor of that piece of text. This is called exegesis.

E.g. the separate gospel stories and the separate Pauline epistles are each patchworks of texts that originated with different authors who thought in different ways.

I believe that is scholarly but it places the mind of man above the mind of God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why do you think that people in the Church do not allow God's spirit to guide them, but only the single individuals that claim that they are different to those in the Church, are guided by God's spirit?

I believe not everyone is equally gifted by the Spirit to interpret scriptures.