1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Incite a Riot

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Mr Spinkles, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +3,065
    Thanks, but I also apologize - the OP is largely excerpts from the NYT article. I provided the link but I know many people will hit a paywall so I excerpted some of the content. I should have indented or used the QUOTE feature but I was lazy and also am not very nimble using those features on my phone.

Sorry!

2. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +3,065
    No, you are wrong. Ashli Babbit listened to Trump’s speech and then stormed the Capitol where she was shot. It’s all on video. See below.

Trump spoke from 11:50am - 12:50pm and the rioting began at 1:10pm.

That timeline is consistent with people going straight to the Capitol after Trump’s speech and immediately attacking police. They got Trump’s message and immediately did what he suggested: go to the Capitol and “fight like hell”.

Source: Timeline: How a Trump mob stormed the US Capitol, forcing Washington into lockdown

11 a.m.
    Trump’s “Save America Rally” begins first with the president's sons Eric and Donald Trump Jr., then his lawyer, Rudy Guiliani. Trump starts speaking shortly before noon at about 11:50 a.m. and says, “And after this, we're going to walk down there, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down ... to the Capitol and we are going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women.” Trump speaks for more than an hour. At the conclusion, thousands walk to the Capitol.

1 p.m.
    Lawmakers gather for a joint session in the House of Representatives chamber to count Electoral College votes.

1:10 p.m.
    Rioters begin grappling with police on the Capitol steps.
    Here is Ashli Babbit live-streaming herself on her way to the Capitol after listening to Trump’s speech, which she refers to in the video:

Here is Ashli Babbit soon after, trying to break through a barricaded door inside the Capitol and being shot dead by Secret Service (possibly Mike Pence’s):

Ashli Babbit was a huge Trump fan. She heeded his call to show up in DC on January 6th. She listened to Trump’s speech. Then she did Just what he told her to do: go to the Capitol. Fight like hell.

Yes, Shaul, the rioters heard Trump’s speech. Your willingness to believe otherwise is sad. Will you have the integrity to admit you were wrong?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +25,888
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Spoilsport! I was ready with my sources as well. But he would not even admit that Trump lied to foment the riot. I had a feeling that when the actual timeline came out that he would scamper.

When I screw up I do admit it. Sometimes too soon. Just yesterday I was called out for an error and I admitted it but then I thought, "Was I wrong?" I went back and quoted the relevant part of the article that I had previously been merely linked by my opponent. It was his article I had assumed that he had read it. Guess what? No joy there either. Just Pfft! The magic disappearing opponent.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,883
    Their cosplay/LARP session backfired so they're tossing each other under the bus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,747
    Religion:
    none
    It seems Trump really thought he could stop the vote count by sending his angry supporters to the Capitol. Maybe he thought Pence would leave (and not return) in fear of the mob.

6. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +66,991
    Religion:
    Atheist
    OAN has returned to pushing the stolen election story, &
    Stop The Steal. Fomenting violence for the inauguration?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +2,883
    Yep. And their megaphone in the White House is eating it up and spewing to his violently ignorant base. :facepalm:
    Trump falsely blames Antifa for Capitol riot

The right wing press hates all that ths USA represents, and Trump wants a coup to keep himself in power, and out of jail.
    As someone made a thread on, Reality is catching up to Chump, the Republicans, and unfortunately they are dragging down the US as they fall. :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +3,065
    Twighlight Hue the tragic facts suggest the President was a major cause of the insurrection against the Capitol.

There were two other recent, large pro-Trump rallies in DC: one in November, and one in December. The Proud Boys were at both. But Trump wasn’t at those rallies.

Source: Trump Supporters, Counterprotesters Clash At D.C. Rally Contesting Biden's Victory

4 Stabbed, 33 Arrested After Trump Supporters, Counterprotesters Clash In D.C.

DC Police thought January 6th would be more of the same.

What was different about January 6th?

The difference is President Trump was more involved in promoting it in the weeks leading up to it. He kept suggesting it would be “wild” and his supporters should “fight to the death”.

DC Police thought they would be containing a protest. Big mistake. This was not a protest. Trump incited a mob to attack the Capitol and they did ... with helmets, bats, hockey sticks, crutches, flagpoles, bear mace, etc.

The President is a cause, he is responsible and Republicans are saying this more forcefully now that their own lives were put at risk:

upload_2021-1-12_19-19-40.jpeg

9. Shaul

Shaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,824
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Sorry, but no.

Here is a link to a tweet by a Washington Post reporter showing the violence beginning with the first barricades overturned. https://mobile.twitter.com/rebtanhs/status/1346879406581624833
    There is a time stamp on the Twitter post. The time is recorded as “11:00”. But that is the time at the location of the person who recorded the Tweet. The time was 1:00 Washington time.

1:00 not 1:10 as you incorrect timeline has it.

President Trump’s Speech was one hour and twelve minutes. Here is a link which clearly shows its length,
    The speech was aired on CSPAN-2 starting the 12:00 noon

Not 11:50, 12:00 noon.

An hour and twelve minutes after 12 noon marks the speech end at 1:12.

Ashli Babbit was not shot in the initial violence. She was, unfortunately, caught up in later violence. But the violence had started before Trump speech ended and before the purported inciting portion which was spoken around 1:10. Ten minutes after the violence had begun. The violence was in full swing before those that had listened to President Trump’s speech arrived.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +3,065
    For Pete’s sake Shaul ... pay attention.

The video you showed is people at the back of the Capitol at 1:00. The timeline I showed said rioters were on the Capitol steps at 1:10. There is no inconsistency there.

Yes you’re right that some violence may have started before Trump had 100% finished his speech. Therefore ...? It didn’t calm down after his speech, did it? Let’s be generous and say he didn’t incite the “initial” violence, ignoring everything Trump said for weeks leading up to that. He still incited more violence.

If he hadn’t, Ashli Babbit wouldn’t have marched from his speech and through a barricaded door just footsteps from lawmakers, and shot by Secret Service.

#50 Mr Spinkles, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1