• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to help Hinduism

Surya Deva

Im not one to comment on the links between Judaism and Christianity, but Israel (a mainly jewish nation) is surrounded by Muslim nation, who are mainly despise the Jews.
They have stood strong in the face of all these nations, without huge number.

Quality over quantity.

This is true. I think it is more important to ask why this is true. I think we should not overlook that Israel is heavily weaponized by the USA. It was created by the USA, has been funded by the USA, defended by the USA, and even to date it is donated billions of dollars worth of weapons. Some argue Israel is just a US proxy state.

India is not a Hindu country anymore, it cannot be. Therefore in largely multi-cultural nation one religion presiding over the other is not fair. Other faiths would not have their say. That, is not right.
War was very much common in those time, kings in that day always set out to conquer new land.
Ashok, was a king who turned Buddhist, he had a great kingdom, prosperous. He was a Buddhist and was considered the greatest king of the world, he was Buddhist, not Hindu.

I was not really saying that Hinduism should be the religion of India today. I was answering your point on Hinduism has not eradicated poverty in India. It has not eradicated poverty because it is not in control of India. The nation state of India is a secular state, or at least suppose to be.

But I will say this much Hinduism is wide enough to accept other religions.

Please keep this in your mind, im 13, you have a MUCH greater understanding of our religion than i do, or at least i think so.
I do live my life like everyone else, because i am everyone else. I do play football with my mates, does this make me a bad Hindu, or just simply not Hindu at all?

No, playing football does not make you a bad Hindu. Accepting the values of modern culture today, probably does though.

Originally Posted by Suraj
This is true. I think it is more important to ask why this is true. I think we should not overlook that Israel is heavily weaponized by the USA. It was created by the USA, has been funded by the USA, defended by the USA, and even to date it is donated billions of dollars worth of weapons. Some argue Israel is just a US proxy state.

I suppose so, but i still do not know enough to comment on this.

Originally Posted by Suraj
But I will say this much Hinduism is wide enough to accept other religions.

We agree :D

Orignally Posted by Suraj
No, playing football does not make you a bad Hindu. Accepting the values of modern culture today, probably does though.

Then, there are very few Hindu's in the world.

Atman

Do you practice Yoga(Jnana, Bhakti, Karma?) If not, how can you say you are a Hindu? Living your life according to the Vedas makes you a dharma magee(a follower of sanatana dharma) if instead you live your life like everybody else, consumerism, playing football with your mates, and going to school and becoming a software engineer or doctor(an Indian thing :D) then there is nothing Hindu about you.
What is so wrong about preforming worldly duties and actions? Last I checked Hinduism does not prescribe initiation into Sanyasa for everyone, and such actions and duties are bound to be a part of a householders life.

I think today Indians living in India are very materialist. They might be 80% Hindu but that does not actually make them truly Hindu. Going to a temple and worshipping an idol is not Hinduism. Hindusim is something to be lived. I think Want to be Hindu will tell you more about this than I can.
Why not? If done with sincerity isn't this Bhakti Yoga? Certainly, reading the Bhagavad Gita becomes useless, if one can not grasp its meaning, where as an illiterate who worships murtis is following the highest Dharma prescribed by Bhagwan Sri Krishna.

Now, in regards to Jack's original question, living a life of turth (Satya) and righteousness (Dharma) is perhaps the best thing we can do for Hinduism. Worship God daily, chant his names, don't ever treat others ill, or even speak ill of others behind their backs, try to dispell myths about our religion, and help remove undharmic practices which have crept into it. It is by following these tenets, that we can provide an example for our fellow Hindus, and for those who wish to join our religion.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Surya Deva

What is so wrong about preforming worldly duties and actions? Last I checked Hinduism does not prescribe initiation into Sanyasa for everyone, and such actions and duties are bound to be a part of a householders life.

There is nothing wrong with performing wordly duties and actions. I believe I said that conumerism, football, materialist driven culture is not Hindu. Hinduism allows for four ashrams of life, but each ashram has its dharma, it's not a free-for-all like modern culture.

Why not? If done with sincerity isn't this Bhakti Yoga? Certainly, reading the Bhagavad Gita becomes useless, if one can not grasp its meaning, where as an illiterate who worships murtis is following the highest Dharma prescribed by Bhagwan Sri Krishna.

Yes, if done with sincerity it is is Bhakti Yoga. Otherwise what do you think it is?

Now, in regards to Jack's original question, living a life of turth (Satya) and righteousness (Dharma) is perhaps the best thing we can do for Hinduism. Worship God daily, chant his names, don't ever treat others ill, or even speak ill of others behind their backs, try to dispell myths about our religion, and help remove undharmic practices which have crept into it. It is by following these tenets, that we can provide an example for our fellow Hindus, and for those who wish to join our religion.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Frubals! Well put, Atman! :)

Atman

There is nothing wrong with performing wordly duties and actions. I believe I said that conumerism, football, materialist driven culture is not Hindu.
Where then do you draw the line between consumerism, and worldly actions? What is so sinful about playing football, that it invalidates one's right to call himself a Hindu?

Yes, if done with sincerity it is is Bhakti Yoga. Otherwise what do you think it is?
Blind ritualism. I wasn't aware you were making a distinction in your original post. However, I don't think ritualism (as rather futile as it is) is always without merit (recalling the story of how the hunter Suswara unknowingly worshiped Lord Shiva while out hunting.), thanks to Bhagwan's mercy.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Where then do you draw the line between consumerism, and worldly actions? What is so sinful about playing football, that it invalidates one's right to call himself a Hindu?

Consumerism is not the same as worldy living. Rather consumerism is a particular philosophy on world living, which is inherently materialistic and without real value. Modern culture is consumerist, this means we treat the world as a place where we can individually seek pleasure through things; the individuals's pleasure is the value.
It is a hedonistic, individualistic and egoistic culture. In fact it is no different to what Hinduism calls demon culture This is why I said that being Hindu and being an active part of modern culture is mutually exclusive.

In Hinduism one is allowed to live a worldy life, it is actually considered necessary in ones development, but it is not about doing anything you want, whenever you want, it is about doing your dharma. A concept which is completely alien to modern culture.

There is nothing wrong with playing football as a game, it only becomes wrong when football becomes more than a game, a lifestyle. How do footballers contribute to society? By kicking a ball about on the field, how is this contributing? It doesn't. A game is a game in the end. In Modern culture the footballer who contributes nothing is valued higher than a noble Swami who enlightens, a scientist who innovates etc. This is a sign of the times.

A Hindu is sombody who lives a life of dharma. If they are not living according to dharma, they are Hindu only through namesake, but not by their karma, which is what really makes a Hindu. Hinduism is the only religion where you become that religion through realisation by action.

Surya Deva

I don't know, the zeros in computers are definitely Hindu :D

Computers, mobiles and any technology does not belong to any religion or culture. They are amoral(have no moral value)

Technology is not the product of any particular kind of culture or religion. Every culture has technology, only each culture interprets technology differently.

I don't know, the zeros in computers are definitely Hindu :D

Computers, mobiles and any technology does not belong to any religion or culture. They are amoral(have no moral value)

Technology is not the product of any particular kind of culture or religion. Every culture has technology, only each culture interprets technology differently.

That still means they are not Hindu. So we should refrain from using anything that is not Hindu?

Surya Deva

My little friend, technology does not belong to anybody. I am finding your argument a bit strange. Being Hindu has to do with living your life a certain way(according to dharma) there is no link to technology. Why would using computers and mobile phones make you less of a Hindu? I am bit confused with your argument.

My little friend, technology does not belong to anybody. I am finding your argument a bit strange. Being Hindu has to do with living your life a certain way(according to dharma) there is no link to technology. Why would using computers and mobile phones make you less of a Hindu? I am bit confused with your argument.

Now you put it like that, so am i, but the point remains, just because something is not Hindu and is performed by a Hindu, it does not make that person less Hindu.

Hinduism is an ever-evolving religion, it changes to adapt to life in the modern times. I am sure Hinduism allows Hindu's to do things which are not Hindu.

Surya Deva

It does Don :D

Ever heard of a mathmatician who is bad at maths? I person wouldn't be called a mathmatician if they were bad it it. Likewise, you don't call someone a scholar if they are bad at scholarship. Hinduism is about living your life a certain way, and if you aren't living like that, you're a bad Hindu and not Hindu at all.

Some examples of doing things which make you less of a Hindu:

* Eating beef (A strict no no in the Vedas)
* Disrespecting your parents
* Disrespecting knowledge
* Being Selfish/Greedy
* Promiscuity
* Being idle or living your life purposelessly

These are the opposites of the very strong Hindu values which even today are taught to every Hindu. If you do any of those you are definitely considered to be less of a Hindu.

In Hindu ethos the characteristics mentioned above were possessed by evil folks(e.g. rakshases) who were by definition adharami. They were certainly not considered Hindu.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does Don :D

Ever heard of a mathmatician who is bad at maths? I person wouldn't be called a mathmatician if they were bad it it. Likewise, you don't call someone a scholar if they are bad at scholarship. Hinduism is about living your life a certain way, and if you aren't living like that, you're a bad Hindu and not Hindu at all.

Some examples of doing things which make you less of a Hindu:

* Eating beef (A strict no no in the Vedas)
* Disrespecting your parents
* Disrespecting knowledge
* Being Selfish/Greedy
* Promiscuity
* Being idle or living your life purposelessly

These are the opposites of the very strong Hindu values which even today are taught to every Hindu. If you do any of those you are definitely considered to be less of a Hindu.

In Hindu ethos the characteristics mentioned above were possessed by evil folks(e.g. rakshases) who were by definition adharami. They were certainly not considered Hindu.
I know what you mean, in that post i do agree. But football is not a Hindu thing, is it? Regardless of what it is, it in NOT a Hindu thing, i enjoy a lot of football, am i less of a Hindu? Same for tennis and cricket.

Surya Deva

No, football itself does not make you less of a Hindu, it is when it becomes a lifestyle. I really encourage you to play and enjoy yourself, but don't let football became your goal in life, like it has for many in the world. But I have very positive feelings about you. I think at your very young age you are already showing great character and wisdom. If you hadn't told me you were 13 I would thought you to be much older, perhaps as old as me.

No, football itself does not make you less of a Hindu, it is when it becomes a lifestyle. I really encourage you to play and enjoy yourself, but don't let football became your goal in life, like it has for many in the world. But I have very positive feelings about you. I think at your very young age you are already showing great character and wisdom. If you hadn't told me you were 13 I would thought you to be much older, perhaps as old as me.

Thank you, Suraj :) I must say, you seem to know SO much about Hinduism. You know a little Sanskrit too, right?

I know what you mean, in that post i do agree. But football is not a Hindu thing, is it? Regardless of what it is, it in NOT a Hindu thing, i enjoy a lot of football, am i less of a Hindu? Same for tennis and cricket.

Swami Vivekananda believed body-building ( not being pumped up but getting your body in good shape.) and exercise to help boost one's morale and strength.

He said: "It would be better to play football than read the Gita..." this is to be taken as powerful metaphor for the way he wanted the young folks to evolve in this life — fearless, strong and independent in the right sense. This is a call to action, to karma, not to be passive and lazy. Making you body strong by exercise puts your mind in a better place. I would say play lots of football every day. While you are playing repeat the name of God in your mind. Practice not only football but the best ethics you can on the field. This is good practice for daily life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hinduism is an ever-evolving religion, it changes to adapt to life in the modern times. I am sure Hinduism allows Hindu's to do things which are not Hindu.
Science belongs to all humanity, it is neither hindu, nor christian, like shunya (zero). Did we ever claim a copy-right to it?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Games change over ages. Today it is cricket or football too. In earlier ages, it was archery, wrestling, etc. (in the curriculam). When did hinduism say that you do not enjoy life? Did not Lord Krishna play with a ball (I do not know what game, but the ball fell down in the Yamuna, Kanduka-krida)?