• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Have Hours of Fun with Self-Referential Statements!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Dear, Beloved RFer,

There are two errors in the
the sentence shown here.

Can you name the two errors?

HINT: The sentence illustrates a logical weakness with self-referential statements.

Yours,

Uncle Sunstone

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear, Beloved RFer,

the sentence show here.

HINT: The sentence illustrates a logical weakness with self-referential statements.

Yours,

Uncle Sunstone
I can name two errors that I believe are there.

siti

Actually there's only one error - misspelling of "shown"...which means that the statement "there are two errors" is erroneous so there are two errors...which means that the statement is true only as long as it is false - that's probably somebody or other's paradox - is it?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ooops! There was a typo in the sentence. I typed "show" when I should have typed "shown". Darn! I've corrected it now.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Actually there's only one error - misspelling of "shown"...which means that the statement "there are two errors" is erroneous so there are two errors...which means that the statement is true only as long as it is false - that's probably somebody or other's paradox - is it?

"the" is also repeated twice. That was intentional -- to repat "the". The "misspelling of shown" was an actual typo.

Your analysis re: the tendency of self-referential statements to devolve into infinite epistemic regressions is correct. Huge weakness with many a self-referential statement.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yup. I even spotted one in the first sentence. So what's the logical self-referential thingy?

Self-referential statements have a tendency to devolve into infinite epistemic and/or logical regressions. For example: There is only one error in the sentence (the word "the" is doubled). But that means there are now two errors (the doubling of "the" plus the error of saying there are two errors when there is only one). But if there are two errors, the sentence is true. But if the sentence is true, then the second error is not an error. But if the second error is not an error, etc. etc. etc. to infinity.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ooops! There was a typo in the sentence. I typed "show" when I should have typed "shown". Darn! I've corrected it now.
Then I have to amend my previous statement.

The only error that can be attributed to you is the misspelling of 'shown'. The rest are intentional. If they are intentional, are they truly errors?

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear, Beloved RFer,

the sentence shown here.

Yours,

Uncle Sunstone

The first error is the repetition of "the." The second error is that this is actually just one error, but since the second error is a self-reference (i.e., saying there are two errors when there is only just one), it creates an infinite loop similar to what programmers get when they write code that results in an infinite regression that leads to a system failure. :D

My own two cents.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The first error is the repetition of "the." The second error is that this is actually just one error, but since the second error is a self-reference (i.e., saying there are two errors when there is only just one), it creates an infinite loop similar to what programmers get when they write code that results in an infinite regression that leads to a system failure. :D

My own two cents.

Yup!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I once thought about storing the value of Pi on my phone. Then I realized I didn't have enough memory. Let me know if you can hook me up with the last ten digits.

/I jest

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Correct. But the "show" was a real, honest typo. Sorry about that.
I love taking shots in the dark that have no intention of being correct, just purely in jest, but end up being correct, lol.
I'm so good I'm right without even trying to be right to the point I think I'm trying deliberately to be wrong! :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Dear, Beloved RFer,

the sentence shown here.

Yours,

Uncle Sunstone

Looked fine to me "unk' but but im dyslexic

siti

"the" is also repeated twice. That was intentional -- to repat "the". The "misspelling of shown" was an actual typo.
My God I missed the second the - that means the original sentence was in fact correct which means it was incorrect but now you have corrected it making it incorrect which means it is now correct after all - so there are in fact no errors in the sentence. Correct?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear, Beloved RFer,

the sentence shown here.

Yours,

Uncle Sunstone

Yes, I will name them Archie and George. What do I win?