• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to get a book published etc etc

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do any writers here have published books, if so how do you publish them?

It is extremely difficult to break into the publishing world. There is a glut of books, and 90% are pretty good. Most publishers turn away 99% of the book proposals that they get. But you can find many publishers on line, as most also have websites. You can read their guidelines for submissions and try to figure out which ones fit your genre or book, expectations, and all that.

There are two other alternatives. One is called vanity publishing. It's considered the scum of the business. They will 'publish' anybody. Basically like a printing service, you pay for it, often at ridiculous rates. They insinuate promises they don't keep, etc. You get books out of it, but then you have to market it yourself. So then you enter the foray of bookselling, which is equally as cutthroat, dominated by large chains, and there is little chance of them taking on your book.

The third and better method is self-publishing. This is when you find your own printer, do your own cover, etc. The difference between this and vanity is you're not paying anybody any fees. Many authors did start out self-publishing. (I self-published 3 books) There is less risk to you, and you have more control, but still without a big publisher's name on it, it's a tough sell. the more successful ones also dropped some money into marketing or into self-promotion, or became like used car salesmen.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But before all that, you have to somehow find out if your writing is any good. That can be hard. So the best method is to fine several neutral people to read it, and give you honest feedback. That can be really tricky, as some people, especially if they are close to you, will have difficulty being critical. So before anything else, really fine tune your manuscript, find a decent editor (a good friend up on English grammar, etc.) The worst thing you can do is submit stuff that isn't well written. Nobody takes manuscripts, but they tale samples and a cover letter. If you can impress them with that, they will ask for the manuscript.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Unless one recognizes and accepts the fact that vanity publishing is just that, a sop to vanity, one will doubtlessly be surprised when the money so spent never amounts to anything more than that. There's a very good reason "legitimate" publishers turn down the many manuscripts that eventually turn up at vanity publishers: they've been deemed unprofitable, and this is from the experts in the business. So if I were a vanity published author I would consider the whole thing nothing more than a personal ego massage, and nothing more. For the most part vanity items seldom reach beyond the circle of one's friends and relatives, and the few that are picked up from the folding table the author mans at the regional book fairs. This isn't to say there are no exceptions, but they're rare ones indeed.

Personally, if I was at such a point in my writings I'd spend the money on something else, like wine, women, and song, but that's me. ;)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It all can be a gamble, but you have to be in it to win it, and plus its a great achievement in itself.