• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to end negative thought patterns?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In your daily life, are you struggling with negative thought patterns? IF you are or have been, what do you do to get out of this pattern?

Personally i live a life with a lot of suffering and a lot of negative thought patterns due to being bullied most of my childhood, and also because of parents who were sick, and a lot of the responsibility was put on me to maintain the home and fixing problems that arise for my parents, and the negativity went s far as i wanted to end my life (tried once) But fast forward to today, I live a very happy and good life, even there are difficulties especially since my fianceè is handicapped, and need a lot of my time and effort.
The turning point for me comes a few years ago when I realized I was my own worsed enemy when it comes to the negative thought patterns, and I started working on looking more bright on the day. And now even in difficult times, it is fully possible to stay happy and unattached to the problems that occur.
Meditation is also something I use often to calm the mind in stressful times.

I am sure there are many who experienced a lot worse than me, and I know they will have their own way of dealing with the struggle of life.

Cooky

Veteran Member
In your daily life, are you struggling with negative thought patterns? IF you are or have been, what do you do to get out of this pattern?

Personally i live a life with a lot of suffering and a lot of negative thought patterns due to being bullied most of my childhood, and also because of parents who were sick, and a lot of the responsibility was put on me to maintain the home and fixing problems that arise for my parents, and the negativity went s far as i wanted to end my life (tried once) But fast forward to today, I live a very happy and good life, even there are difficulties especially since my fianceè is handicapped, and need a lot of my time and effort.
The turning point for me comes a few years ago when I realized I was my own worsed enemy when it comes to the negative thought patterns, and I started working on looking more bright on the day. And now even in difficult times, it is fully possible to stay happy and unattached to the problems that occur.

I am sure there are many who experienced a lot worse than me, and I know they will have their own way of dealing with the struggle of life.

Dopamine Fasting:
A dopamine fast is simple because it is basically a fast of everything. They would not be eating. They would not look at any screens. They would not listen to music. They would not exercise. They would not touch other bodies for any reason, especially not for sex. No work. No eye contact. No talking more than absolutely necessary. A photographer could take their picture, but there could be no flash.

The number of things to not do is potentially endless.

How to Feel Nothing Now, in Order to Feel More Later
Why You Should Do A Dopamine Fast
dopamine fast.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Etritonakin

When we experience things -especially early -they essentially program us -but we are also involved in the process.

When bullied -or anything negative, the programming is negative. When young especially, what we experience tells us about ourselves in relation to our environment and other people.
We -somewhat automatically -believe the negative things said are true -and that we deserve what we get because that is how people treat us.
It is not true at all, but our minds are set to take in so much information so quickly that it becomes a part of us before we know what happened.
Then we actually start to bully ourselves and treat ourselves badly.

Because we are involved in the process, however, we can re-program. We can pay attention to our thoughts -find the ones which are negative and false -and replace them with positive and true ones. It is also very helpful to avoid negative people and find positive, uplifting people. We naturally want to belong -and things like bullying make us feel we do not -and even should not.
We naturally want to think the world is awesome -have people think we are awesome -and treat us well. Because the world is imperfect, we have to choose to spend our time and energy positively -avoid the negative -and realize that some things in life just suck -for now.

Overall, however, I have found that answering the big questions about the future beyond this life has put this temporary life into perspective. It is only temporary -there is more -and this time, though difficult, makes us strong and prepares us for the next.
It will not always be like this.

nPeace

Veteran Member

What helps me, is knowledge that Jehovah is my refuge and strength, a help that is readily found, when there is distress. (Psalm 46:1)
Psalm 5:11, 12; 9:9, 10; 18:2-6; 34:8

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see one must try to replace the negative thought with a positive thought. It is not easy to do, it takes practice.

A key is accepting all that has happened and all that will happen can help you grow spiritually, to become a better person.

Some of the greatest peoole have suffered the most, but they remainn the most positive that good will come from the experience.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Jim

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When that is not an option, are there other things you would say is important?

Some Toltec philosophy called The Four Agreements penned by Don Miguel Ruiz have certainly helped me overcome negative thoughts in the past...
  • Be impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
  • Don't take anything personally - Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
  • Don't make assumptions - Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
  • Always do your best - Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Here are a couple of suggestions I've used successfully:

1) Positive affirmations. (Your first sentence comes across as a negative affirmation, reinforcing the idea of how you live your life) A positive affirmation used over time, and some real strong visualisation, will indeed eventually reprogram your subconscious mind. A few minutes a day, or when stuff comes up. It can be simple, but should be worded in the positive. For example ... "All my needs will always be met." if you worry about that. But we have to be patient with the subconscious. It likes to fight against change. Whichever side is more persistent will win.

2) Vasana Daha Tantra ... This involves writing down past memories, and putting emotion into them, or re-enacting stuff. It can be in the present also, but can 'cleanse' the subconscious. After it's written you burn it in an ordinary fire. (In Hinduism we have sacred fire, definitely not good to burn it there.) As it burns, visualise it disappearing. The idea is to change the memory from colour (with emotion) to black and white. (No emotion). You may have to do this more than once, even several times, until you can revisit the movie without reacting.

I admire your keeping your vows with your fiancee. It's very honorable of you. Best wishes.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

If it related to a person, try to focus on the positive you see in them not the negatives

In general memorizing scripture or a song helps.

You need to replace the negatives somehow so be selective in what you related and watch on media

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
When I notice I'm in a frame of mind I don't like, or having a memory that causes negative emotions, I recite a short meditative statement that I composed, and when I'm done, the bad thing is gone.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

Yes, every single person who lives suffers at some point in their lives. It most definitely comes down to how one views the hardships as to how they can still live a reasonably peaceful and satisfying life regardless. It is entirely up to each individual to learn how to accept themselves and their hardships. There are only two choices. One of misery, self-pity, anger, and jealousy of those they oercieve have it better or acceptance, reflection and positive thinking. The latter thinking makes for a good life. The former makes for misery.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Run toward what scares you the most.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
  • Everything is maths.
  • Music is advanced maths.
  • Depths in music add to escalation; we need lows to have uplifting highs.
  • Everything in reality is created from different resonances of frequencies.
  • Every aspect of reality has a score from its self (historical timeline) identifications.
  • Running away from our lows, doesn't deal with our musical score.
  • Embracing every note of every action that has taken place within our score, leads to understanding.
  • Understanding the cause and affect of the synchronicities within life, leads to enlightenment.
  • Realize downs, and ups are weight training; it takes strain to build, and we're down near Hell in the Maya for a reason.
  • That plants grow in the darkness to reach towards the light.
  • Mindfulness is allowing every routes journey in the bus station of our mind; after the buses have gone to their destinations, the bus station area then makes an open peaceful space.
In my opinion. :innocent:

syo

For ten years I suffered from psychological illness, and negative thoughts bombarded me. With a lot of help, I managed to seperate my thoughts from my illness, and my thoughts cleared. Now I am recovering little by little with therapy, and the negative thoughts are becoming powerless. I'm still not out of the woods but I try!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For ten years I suffered from psychological illness, and negative thoughts bombarded me. With a lot of help, I managed to seperate my thoughts from my illness, and my thoughts cleared. Now I am recovering little by little with therapy, and the negative thoughts are becoming powerless. I'm still not out of the woods but I try!
You are going to make it to full recovery :) That i am sure of.
And yes mental illness is some of the worsed to experience, and some of the most difficult to be able to win over, But you can do it :)