• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to disprove God to a believer? (no really)...

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hi Feathersinhair,

You said:

Thank you kindly for your explanation.
I'm pleased you found it sufficient. ;-)

I fear I get a little leery when a person suggests that all people of all faiths (or non-faiths) are the same. You clarified your position most wonderfully, and I'm afraid I cannot point to any theistic faith that does none of the things mentioned besides my own and that of several other people I know (primarily pagans).
I get a little leery of "absolutist" statements myself. After all, I am a skeptic. ;-)

It does not seem like you are attacking theists, so I will respectlfully digress
I appreciate both your acknowledgment and candor. What else could one expect from a well-mannered hobbit?

;-)

s2a

Hello Snowbear,

When I previously noted that our exchange was within a forum of debate, you said:

My mistake. For some reason I thought it was the discussion forum.
OK. It's not difficult to confound one with the other. ;-)

I try to stay out of the debate forums as I'm far too stupid to keep up my end of actual debates.

Sorry.... again... I'll shut up now.
Hmmm. If you'll indulge me my contrarian proclivities a tad bit longer, I would offer:

1) Your self-deprecation regarding your professed measure of intelligence does you discredit. You represent yourself as articulate, thoughtful, and most discerning.
2) I find great distinction between "inability" and "unwillingness" upon engaging merited issues of debate/discussion. I am most "able" (as example) to engage serious debate regarding the claims/validity of evolution theory with "creationists" (or ID adherents), but I am generally unwilling to even bother with such pointless online exercises in futility at this stage of my life (I wage enough "real-life" battles in local politics/school boards regarding science curriculums in public education).
3) Even casual debate (as in REF) demands added effort and consideration of an opposition viewpoint in proffered rebuttal/reply, versus "discussions" that essentially "preach to the converted", or provide validation for one's own, or similarly expressed views/beliefs. This is not a measure of intelligence or wisdom, it is merely a personal choice (of motivation or "purpose") of how one chooses to spend one's own leisure time within a community. I can respect your choice to avoid actual debate, but such a choice does not lessen my estimation of your capacities, or the sincerity of your held beliefs.

If you choose at some point to engage the give-and-take of (potentially) contentious debate, I retain little doubt that you will represent yourself far better than the insubstantial persona you would have me accede as veritable.

Regards,
s2a

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello, s2a!(Please forgive the following, as I've managed to do something wonky with the quoting system.)

I get a little leery of "absolutist" statements myself. After all, I am a skeptic. ;-)
You're probably more leery than I am, hehee! I do admire skeptics, and wish I shared more of their traits.

What else could one expect from a well-mannered hobbit?
Ahhh, but I'm only the "World's Tallest" hobbit... I never made any claim to be well-mannered. *grin*

I've very much appreciated your willingness to chat!

St0ne

I don't think you can convert people who have a good understanding of their beliefs, I think mostly it comes down to what type of person you are, how you think, etc. If you want to convert someone you have to change the way they think before following it up with your 'proof' and that is an extremely hard thing to do.

Opethian

Most creationists (especially YEC's) couldn't be convinced otherwise by all the evidence in the world, even if it's just about disproving that the earth is young. Once an idea is so stuck in a humans' head, it's impossible to get it out, especially if it's a movement with so many adherents. They usually have very little knowledge of science, allowing them to interpret the evidence wrongly and still think they're right, and try to break down evidence against their idea with all means possible, while they accept all evidence that in their opinion is for their idea, however weak that evidence may be. The fact that there are so many misleading and misinforming creationist websites out there doesn't help at all either. The bias is usually too strong to be broken.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Opethian said:
Most creationists (especially YEC's) couldn't be convinced otherwise by all the evidence in the world, even if it's just about disproving that the earth is young. Once an idea is so stuck in a humans' head, it's impossible to get it out, especially if it's a movement with so many adherents. They usually have very little knowledge of science, allowing them to interpret the evidence wrongly and still think they're right, and try to break down evidence against their idea with all means possible, while they accept all evidence that in their opinion is for their idea, however weak that evidence may be. The fact that there are so many misleading and misinforming creationist websites out there doesn't help at all either. The bias is usually too strong to be broken.

I must admit that I cannot understand the YECs............Creationism (well, that can be interpreted in so many different ways)........I'm still waiting to see man create a man out of material with has not one iota of biological life in it.

Opethian

I must admit that I cannot understand the YECs............Creationism (well, that can be interpreted in so many different ways)........I'm still waiting to see man create a man out of material with has not one iota of biological life in it.

You may have to wait for quite a while then cause we have not yet advanced technologically far enough to accomplish a feat like this. First off, we would have to understand how the human body works, up to the slightest details. And that's just the beginning. I am however interested in what you mean by "not one iota of biological life".

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Opethian said:
Most creationists (especially YEC's) couldn't be convinced otherwise by all the evidence in the world, ...
To the man with only a hammer ...

I have no idea why anyone found it useful to resurrect this thread. It's title, "How to disprove God to a believer...", suggests that it is possible (and easier) to 'disprove' God to a non-believer which is, of course, nonsense.

s2a

[It's alive! I read through the entirety of this thread again, just to refresh my own memory of what the thrust of my premised topic was, and to revisit the earlier exchanges.]

Hello StOne,

You said:
I don't think you can convert people who have a good understanding of their beliefs, I think mostly it comes down to what type of person you are, how you think, etc. If you want to convert someone you have to change the way they think before following it up with your 'proof' and that is an extremely hard thing to do.

I neither completely agree nor disagree with your opinion, yet I'm unsure I follow whatever topical point you're attempting to forward here, or (more aptly) how it applies to the OP as presented.

Hey Jayhawker Soule,

You said:
I have no idea why anyone found it useful to resurrect this thread. It's title, "How to disprove God to a believer...", suggests that it is possible (and easier) to 'disprove' God to a non-believer which is, of course, nonsense.

Ouch. ;-)

Well, that would be nonsense (or perhaps fruitless is a better descriptor), but that was not the essence of the OP as presented. It's easy enough to revisit and reread the initial post to see that the focus and intent differs from the more facile rendering you have lent.

As I note (more than once) within this thread, I have been asked numerous times by believers, "What would it take for you to believe in God?"

In essence (with qualification), I simply pose the obverse question of the "believer"; "What would it take for you to not believe in (a) God?"

I consider it a fair question, especially since I have provided answer to that first inquiry in another thread, here.

Considering the limited amount of input the thread initially generated, I know I wouldn't mind engaging a wider audience in prospective answer to a fair question.

;-)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trying to disprove God, or the tooth fairy for that matter, to a believer is usually a waste of time. The best one can do is demonstrate a lack of credible evidence for His or her existence.

The acceptence of unseen beings is usually an enculturated phenomonon. A society's world-view, attitudes, theology &c become ingrained in a young child long before s/he develops the logico-analytical filters that might sift out unsupported concepts.

Inasmuch as theological beliefs are more emotional than logically or experimentally based, perhaps the most reliable way to shake a believer's faith in a just and loving God might be a tour through a newly liberated extermination camp or a vacation in a Darfur refugee camp.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Its strange, a lot of young children believe in Father Christmas (Santa Clause).
They are told that he comes down the chimney at night and delivers their presents, they are told that he arrives on a sled pulled by flying reindeer and that he delivers presents to all the children in the world in one night.

Some theists believe that God created the world as it is now, that one man and a big boat re-populated the world with animals after a global flood. They believe that God created the world in six days, and that the Earth existed before the sun and the stars.

Children stop believing in Father Christmas when they become aware of the evidence against his existance. Chimney's too thin, no foot or hoof prints, one man delivering gifts to billions of people across the globe in a single night.

However, no matter what evidence confronts the YECs they continue to believe. Why the difference?

If an adult continued to believe in Father Christmas their sanity would be called into question...

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Seyorni said:
...Inasmuch as theological beliefs are more emotional than logically or experimentally based, perhaps the most reliable way to shake a believer's faith in a just and loving God might be a tour through a newly liberated extermination camp or a vacation in a Darfur refugee camp.
Perhaps you are not aware of the many theological schools where students study religions and examine their faith with devotion that rivals what medical school students endure...minus the blood and guts.:p To dismiss theirs and other's interest in faith os 'emotional rather logically based' is rather unfair and condescending.

As for 'shaking a believer's faith' by showing him what some men do to each other, only someone who does not understand faith would suggest a thing. The tours you suggest would demonstrate to me that evil is alive and well in the world, and that more needs to be done to spread the word of God's love.:162:
Halcyon said:
...Children stop believing in Father Christmas when they become aware of the evidence against his existance. Chimney's too thin, no foot or hoof prints, one man delivering gifts to billions of people across the globe in a single night...
I think you answered your own question. You can examine the physical evidence and determine whether or not you believe that Santa Claus actually delivered toys to all the world's children. There is no physical evidence that makes God's existance an impossibility, so it comes down to a matter of faith. Some people's is shakable, other's is not. Mine is the latter.:fish:

Like many have said, it is a rather pointless debate...besides...I was unware there were evangelical atheists out there who sought to undermine other's faith. I thought they just wanted to be left alone to contemplate their lack there of.:D

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Not trying to get off subject, so please bare with me till I get to the point:

When we look at the sun, we see it as it was 8 minutes ago. The further the happening, the further in the past we see it. Even what you view as the present (right now) actually happened millionths of a second ago. Therefore we only exist in the past, for we can never truly see the present. So it comes down to: DO YOU BELIEVE (you exist) or DO YOU NOT BELIEVE?

Neither opionion is less, nor more valid by my eyes and views. It is practically imposible to change somebodies mind once they have made it. Especially when it comes to things that can neither be proved or disproved by any ways we know of.

A Theist can no more prove that God/Gods exist than an Atheist can disprove their existance. When it comes to things as such, it is all a matter of how you view it. I think by either standard it takes FAITH to believe what you do. That is just my opinion though.....

(I think this is a great thread by-the-way :clap Again just my opinion)

Jerrell

Lord Roghen There is one Flaw i see in your words. You are not steadfast in GOd. That when a Storm comes you are taken swiftly away with it. Did you know Jesus had a strom? DId you know Peter had a storm? Did you know Paul had a Storm? Anannias, among many other christians throughout history. Yet when the Storm came they stood faste in their beliefs. You may have doubts sometimes but NEVER Doubt GOd, NEVER Doubt his ability to bring you through. Stand Faste in God the Devil would want you to be reprobate as many others are, Dont.

s2a

CaptainXeroid said:
Like many have said, it is a rather pointless debate...besides...I was unware there were evangelical atheists out there who sought to undermine other's faith. I thought they just wanted to be left alone to contemplate their lack there of.

Debate is rendered "pointless" only when opposing views are utterly intractable, and involved parties eschew all reason in favor of irrationally immutable beliefs. Earnest debate may prove fruitful if both parties of opposing views are willing and able to employ reason in self-evaluation and estimation/determination of fact.

"...error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it."
- Thomas Jefferson

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul."
- Mark Twain

Is it your opinion that appeals to reason (as opposed to appeals to emotion) inherently undermine faith?

"Evangelical atheists" is an interesting characterization. How would you define such a person/group? Just what is it, specifically, that "evangelical atheists" preach?

Before you lend answer, let's revisit some definitions of "evangelical""

"1. Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of the New Testament.
2. Evangelical Of, relating to, or being a Protestant church that founds its teaching on the gospel.
3. Evangelical Of, relating to, or being a Christian church believing in the sole authority and inerrancy of the Bible, in salvation only through regeneration, and in a spiritually transformed personal life.
4. Evangelical
1. Of or relating to the Lutheran churches in Germany and Switzerland.
2. Of or relating to all Protestant churches in Germany.
5. Of or relating to the group in the Church of England that stresses personal conversion and salvation by faith.
6. Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous: an evangelical liberal.
"
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

"adj 1: relating to or being a Christian church believing in personal conversion and the inerrancy of the Bible especially the 4 Gospels; "evangelical Christianity"; "an ultraconservative evangelical message"
2: of or pertaining to or in keeping with the Christian gospel especially as in the first 4 books of the New Testament
3: marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause
"
Source: WordNet ® 2.0,

"1 : of, relating to, or being in agreement with the Christian gospel especially as it is presented in the four Gospels
2 : PROTESTANT
3 : emphasizing salvation by faith in the atoning death of Jesus Christ through personal conversion, the authority of Scripture, and the importance of preaching as contrasted with ritual
4 a capitalized : of or relating to the Evangelical Church in Germany b often capitalized : of, adhering to, or marked by fundamentalism : FUNDAMENTALIST c often capitalized : LOW CHURCH
5 : marked by militant or crusading zeal : EVANGELISTIC
"
Source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

In deference to your previously offered characterization, I'll assume that your implied inference suggests either individualistic - or some groupthink - "militant, crusading, or zealous" atheistic enthusiasm/support of some "cause".

If the above articulation of your inference is accurate, then please elaborate upon what you think or perceive an "atheistic cause/agenda" may be. What is it - exactly - that you allege/infer/suggest that atheists "want" (or hope to achieve) in their "crusading zeal" or "ardent enthusiasm"? What is their motivation...towards what attained goal?

I'm serious. What - exactly - do you allege (or infer) most accurately represents an atheistic agenda/perspective? Prospective "conversions" to atheism? What does atheism offer as prospective "advantage" over faith-based claims, beliefs, and promises? Does atheism proffer or promise any revealing "truths", especial insight, or prevailing, exclusionary, and/or ultimate wisdom? Does countenance and promotion of estimable fact as being superior to (faith-based) belief actually constitute an evangelistic crusade of some sort? If so, how so, and in what way?

Is human employment and emphasis upon skepticism, reason, and critical evaluation/estimation to be relegated to some facile, dismissible "cult" status of errant, especially purposed, or wild-eyed "evangelism"?

Is supplantation of reason and critical thinking over faith-based rationales something to be feared and avoided at all costs? Is personal faith and derivative self-validation/justification so weak and unsubstantial, so as to regard espousal of critical thinking an evangelistic endeavor in and of itself??

I remain an ardent atheist in my own right, but I offer no case of disproof regarding any claimed/alleged deity, spirituality, or "force". You are invited to peruse any or all of my (now 500+ !) postings within REF to illustrate any instance wherein I may have asserted anything akin to "Your god/deity/spirit does not exist, and here's why you should not "believe" in it/Him/them".

"Tests of faith" may come from many sources, and many differing circumstances of prospective challenge. Does an inexplicable and untimely death of a loved one constitute some focused or intended "undermining" of faith-based beliefs? Would such an instance seem more or less compelling in evopcation of questioning one's own faith-based rationales; vs. premised issues of topical debate that favor reason and critical thinking?

Like faith, reason and critical evaluation (especially within/of oneself) is a conscious choice: in deliberative decision-making; forward-looking perspective; and lifetime ideology/philosophy. Ultimately, we are all but the culmination (and personalized expression) of our own wits and experience. It's the innate capacity of human reason that permits (or denies) the merits (or "truth") of evaluative reason and logical empiricism over wishful-thinking and superstition. To open a book, a door, or present a premised alternative to faith-based rationales and justifications hardly constitutes an "evangelical" (as defined above) appeal to some ill/undefined atheistic "motives".

Relative piety or adherence to faith-based rationales is not in question, or of any merited significance in matters of reasoned argument/debate. It's the premised ideas that are in question, and arguments lacking any credible foundation in demonstrable fact - in defense of those ideas - are the ones most likely to falter/fail and cause others to question the "why" of "what" they believe (by faith) to be "true".

Debate amongst those of divergent ideas is therefore never pointless, unless devotion to evangelism of faith-based beliefs is the primary (or lone) motivation in engaging such debates.

Faith is easy to accept. Reason takes effort to employ. Debate serves to define the differences between the two. All may choose accordingly...and freely...

SoliDeoGloria

The first thing this thread does from a Christian prospective is downplay the role that faith plays in this issue (Eph.2:8-9 Heb.11:1), but being as how I am all for Christian Apologetics (1Pet.3:15) and firmly believe that faith is not dependant on ignorance (2Tim.2:15), I am happy to play along.

From a Christian Theistic worldview, what I believe would probably do the most damage would be to absolutely disprove the first principle of causality. This would take not only a philosophical but also a scientific approach that would have to be absolutely exhaustive. From what I have read, the best attempts are nothing more than sidestepping and turn out not to be disproofs for causality at all. Some of the most noted Atheists/Agnostics (David Hume, etc.) have attempted and failed due to mere human limitations.

Besides that, I would probably have to die and find out that there is no God.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

s2a

Hello SoliDeoGloria,

You said:

The first thing this thread does from a Christian prospective is downplay the role that faith plays in this issue (Eph.2:8-9 Heb.11:1)...

And the first thing you manage in your above reply is a complete evasion of nearly 3/4 of my preceding post (you know, the parts about your characterization of "evangelical atheists"?); instead you choose to argue an issue I never presented.

*sigh*

Just the same, in reply to your first vague assessment, I ask:
How so? I made reference to issues of faith many times in the OP, acknowledging it's role in theistic beliefs.

...but being as how I am all for Christian Apologetics (1Pet.3:15) and firmly believe that faith is not dependant on ignorance (2Tim.2:15), I am happy to play along.

It was not I that suggested that faith was "dependent on ignorance". But neither would it be unfair to observe that many of faith willingly reject any knowledge that they deem as conflicting with - or contradictory to - their understanding or their faith.

As Paul notes in Titus 1, "...the knowledge of the Truth..." is "...a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life..." [as promised by God]). Faith-based rationales and motivations borne of wishful thinking are not especially conducive to discernment of fact, or to open inquiry.
Faith is easy, and many can claim "knowledge of the Truth"; even or despite lacking capacities to read, write, or astutely evaluate foundational claims and concepts for themselves.
Ignorance certainly isn't requisite to faith, but neither is challenge to personalized faith especially encouraged, invited, or welcomed either.
I advocate reason. I don't waste effort "downplaying the role of faith" in religious beliefs. Your piety is yours - and yours alone - to claim or master as you see fit. Whatever level, degree, or brand of faith you espouse is of no interest or consequence to me, nor is it of any question in the points I choose to offer within this thread.

From a Christian Theistic worldview, what I believe would probably do the most damage would be to absolutely disprove the first principle of causality. This would take not only a philosophical but also a scientific approach that would have to be absolutely exhaustive. From what I have read, the best attempts are nothing more than sidestepping and turn out not to be disproofs for causality at all. Some of the most noted Atheists/Agnostics (David Hume, etc.) have attempted and failed due to mere human limitations.

Your lent caveat ("From a Christian Theistic worldview") - while candid - certainly does limit the scope of what such a perspective might constitute as "damaging" disproof. The "Cosmological argument" (or as you qualify it, "the first principle of causality"), is an argument for (or favoring) the existence of [a] god. It proposes no methodology for falsification of that "logical proof", which goes somewhat like this:

1) If something exists...then "something else" must have caused that first something to exist.
2) Nothing can cause itself into existence.
3) A causal chain cannot be of infinite length.
4) Therefore, there must be a first cause.

Rhetorical conclusion: What could possibly exist before the universe existed, to "
cause it" into existence? Only [a] god."

Seems to make sense at first glance, doesn't it...at least if you don't bother to think too much beyond that simplistic conclusion; to ask more questions; or to illustrate the flaws/errors of the given premises themselves.

If space/time the cosmos) is infinite (a cyclical continuum - instead of a linear progression), does it then require a "first cause"? If no causation is required, then no "god explanation" is necessary.

If the cosmos (spacetime) is finite (with a beginning and end), then there is a point in which spacetime is (or was) non-existent. "Cause" (or causation) is itself a temporal concept (of time) - an instigating event (or "thing") that produces a result...over some measure of time. If there is no time, there is no existent cause (nor any need of one).

[The question and nature of cosmological spacetime (as being either finite or infinite) remains unanswered and incomplete by science today, as both possibilities have their supporters and detractors. This is not to be confused with Big Bang theory, per se...as most cosmologists (and within other related fields of study) retain an overwhelming consensus in support of that predominantly-held understanding (considering that the Bang has been evidentially demonstrated "backwards" in spacetime to the first few millionths of a second, it's hard to argue against it ;-)).

We already know (in fact) that sometimes, some things can and do come from "nothing" (ex nihilo). Subatomic particles pop into and out of existence as virtual particles; unpredictable manifestations of a time-energy uncertainty principle. [Go ask a qualified quantum field theorist for expert details on this phenomena]. In essence, there is no attributable "cause" to either their temporary existence, or disappearance into non-existence. Does this phenomena prove that a god therefore exists...or that a god is completely unnecessary as a logical explanation of (first) cause and effect?

When you think about it for just a bit, the "first cause" argument is demonstrably flawed (by extant fact); presents no empirical or evidential "proof" (of an existent god), just an "either/or" rhetorical proposition; nor does it outline any methodology of/for "disproof".
As you might suggest, it's a matter of faith to accept the "first cause" conclusion as some compelling logical fact, or existential "Truth".
Lucky me - as I am not bound by faith to believe or accept anything so tenuous, or failing in compelling conclusion.

To reiterate once more, I have lent ernest, honest, and qualified answer here to the inevitable religious evangelist's query of "What would it take for you to believe in God?".
It would again seem that my question of "What would it take for you to not believe in God?" remains beyond any similarly qualified response on your part, excepting:

Besides that, I would probably have to die and find out that there is no God.

You wouldn't know. You'd never know. You'd just be dead. The dead know nothing, feel nothing, and retain nothing.

Ecclesiastes 9:10

Now that, I can believe. ;-)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
How to disprove God to a believer? (no really)...
Why would anyone want to disprove God to believers? Let them take comfort in their beliefs, as long as they do not attempt to impose them on others. PEACE

Melody

Snowbear said:
My mistake. For some reason I thought it was the discussion forum.

I try to stay out of the debate forums as I'm far too stupid to keep up my end of actual debates. :bonk:

Sorry.... again... I'll shut up now.

Please don't. I have been enjoying your responses tremendously. I think you are stating your position quite well and all I can say is "Ditto".