• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Discourage People From Using the N-Word

sooda

Veteran Member
Plenty of black folks use it, except it has an A in the end instead of the derogatory R.

I figure the logic is if you normalize something, it won't be so bad anymore , it loses its sting.

You mean like women saying b*tch or whore or the C word?

You can have it.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
No much.. Even "good rap" is not comparable to black music of Motown.. I can't even begin to name the fabulous black artists.
Well, Motown artists actually had to be able to sing. That music is timeless, which is why we're still loving it over 50 years later and will continue to love it. Rappers aren't singers. They just need rhythm and flow. But nowadays the rap that's popular doesn't even have those features.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You mean like women saying b*tch or whore or the C word?

You can have it.

Ive heard it so much I don't even think it registers as even being offensive. Of course I'm around a fair number of bikers in my neighborhood. It's pretty much day-to-day banter. Of course I can see how it could shock a lot of people who aren't accustomed with that type of banter and talkin smack.

I kind of put it as being a cultural and generational thing.

sooda

Veteran Member
Ive heard it so much I don't even think it registers as even being offensive. Of course I'm around a fair number of bikers in my neighborhood. It's pretty much day-to-day banter. Of course I can see how it could shock a lot of people who aren't accustomed with that type of banter and talkin smack.

I kind of put it as being a cultural and generational thing.

I think that kind of talk is disgusting and demoralizing.. like swimming for the drain.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
People in the black community use the N word to describe people they don't care for certain behaviors among their own community that they don't care for at all.
Black Rap when it first started in the market introduced the N word in its music. Changing the consonant to a vowel didn't mean they weren't referring to one another as the actual N word. They were just led to believe that edit allowed them to "reclaim" the N word and have it empower them rather than demean.

What a load of crap. Let them reclaim a pejorative?
No, what it did was enable them to insult themselves. Making the consonant vowel exchange a double entendre.

To answer the OP Q? The N word stereotype is exploited by movie makers like Tyler Perry today and formerly and firstly, Spike Lee. So when will the N word stop being used? When blacks set the example.
Stop using the N word with the vowel attached. And stop making the likes of cross dresser Perry and Lee rich because you approve of the stereotype playing in theaters. Repeatedly!
And what's with black kids wearing baggy pants??! And brown people not speaking English?? I even saw a man out in public yesterday not wearing a tie or hat, would you believe?? :mad::mad:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Well, Motown artists actually had to be able to sing. That music is timeless, which is why we're still loving it over 50 years later and will continue to love it. Rappers aren't singers. They just need rhythm and flow. But nowadays the rap that's popular doesn't even have those features.
You realize a modern rapper recently won the Nobel prize for literature, right? Methinks there’s a lot about rap that is just as “timeless” as the Motown you enjoy.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
It is disheartening and angering to see so many people use the N word so regularly and frequently in casual conversation. It seems that many people frequently use it as an expletive when angry or frustrated, and that in some cases, it is not directly meant to be used in a racist manner. However, I believe that the majority of time, people who use it must be racist whether they admit it or not. I cannot understand why for so many people, this terrible word is the first thing that emerges from their mouth when faced with a frustrating experience. From people frustrated with other drivers on the road, to a reaction to injury, this terrible word (or sentences involving this word) is far too commonplace in common conversation, at least in my experience. I told one of my colleagues the other day, that there has to be some other word that he could have used when he stubbed his toe. Nevertheless, he insisted that he is not racist, but the word just "slips out" from time to time when faced with extreme frustration. He said that he asks Jesus for forgiveness, but he just can't remove the word from his vocabulary completely. This is concerning, and there must be some way that we can encourage people in society to remove the word from their vocabulary so that it does not "slip out" at all.
I think the best thing you can do is be a good example. You don't say it, people around you will avoid saying it.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Jews don't call themselves "kikes" and Mexicans don't call themselves "wetbacks" or "spics". I do think it makes blacks look bad when they do it and that black culture in the inner cities has declined since the '60s. Rap culture is partially to blame as much of that is effectively a minstrel show that just confirms racist stereotypes of black people.

There is much more contributing to the decline of inner city youth, than a word (offensive or otherwise), or rap culture (even if it confirms stereotypes [ever listen to Dropkick Murphys?]); just like sex drugs rock n'roll of the 60's-present isn't the cause of the decline of american ideals either, and violence in video games does not necessarily indicate a predilection to violence.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
There is much more contributing to the decline of inner city youth, than a word (offensive or otherwise), or rap culture (even if it confirms stereotypes [ever listen to Dropkick Murphys?]); just like sex drugs rock n'roll of the 60's-present isn't the cause of the decline of american ideals either, and violence in video games does not necessarily indicate a predilection to violence.
You're really comparing rap scenes like drill (which is heavily associated with gang violence in Chicago) to Dropkick Murphys? Those two aren't even in the same universe. Musical subcultures do encourage certain mindsets and behaviors. No one said music alone, but I'm not talking about music alone. Think '70s punk rock and Norweigan black metal - the cultures surrounding them, not the music itself. Early punk was associated with nihilism, anarchic attitudes and self-destruction. The early black metal scene is associated with extreme nihilism, anti-Christianity, Satanism, neo-Nazism, murder, suicide and arson. There's child rappers on YouTube and Worldstar rapping about gang life and threatening their enemies. UK drill rappers brag about stabbing people in their lyrics. Bear in mind that I'm not talking about all rap or all rap culture as it's a very diverse umbrella genre, same as how punk and even black metal have diversified a lot.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You're really comparing rap scenes like drill (which is heavily associated with gang violence in Chicago) to Dropkick Murphys? Those two aren't even in the same universe. Musical subcultures do encourage certain mindsets and behaviors. No one said music alone, but I'm not talking about music alone. Think '70s punk rock and Norweigan black metal - the cultures surrounding them, not the music itself. Early punk was associated with nihilism, anarchic attitudes and self-destruction. The early black metal scene is associated with extreme nihilism, anti-Christianity, Satanism, neo-Nazism, murder, suicide and arson. There's child rappers on YouTube and Worldstar rapping about gang life and threatening their enemies. UK drill rappers brag about stabbing people in their lyrics. Bear in mind that I'm not talking about all rap or all rap culture as it's a very diverse umbrella genre, same as how punk and even black metal have diversified a lot.

You are still equating words with actions, which is logically incorrect; and my point (that dropkick Murphy's condones Irish drunken stereotypes as much as rappers condone using drugs and saying n-words). I'm not thinking that you think all rap is bad, just like I don't think Dropkick is bad (I actually like them). But to blame the music for a societal issue is too narrow focused.

Edit: You essentially proved my point by mentioning early black metal sang about neo-nazism and satanism, and nihilism (did those people do those things? Or say those things?).

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
You are still equating words with actions, which is logically incorrect; and my point (that dropkick Murphy's condones Irish drunken stereotypes as much as rappers condone using drugs and saying n-words). I'm not thinking that you think all rap is bad, just like I don't think Dropkick is bad (I actually like them). But to blame the music for a societal issue is too narrow focused.
Once again, I wasn't blaming music. I was discussing the culture associated with it. There's a reason no one is surprised when rappers get gunned down, just like no one would be surprised if a black metal musician burned down a church.

Irish people liking Guinness is hardly on the same level of people being gunned down and hatred of women (especially of black women), to name some issues with hip-hop culture that are widely discussed. I never felt like a shootout would happen at a rock or metal show I've been to (yes, it's happened at multiple rap shows, with people getting killed). Oh, and I've been a fan of Dropkick Murphys for about 15 years and seen them live multiple times. The worst that happened there was a drunk shirtless guy in a kilt putting his arm around my shoulders and wanting me to sing along.

This essay points to what I am talking about: How Hip-Hop Holds Blacks Back