• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to discern belief systems?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So... what things help you discern a belief system? The rituals? Prayers? Beliefs themselves?

what do you find most important that you seek in a religion or spiritual tradition?

A framework to understand fully what and who I am in the context of cosmic existence.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
So... what things help you discern a belief system? The rituals? Prayers? Beliefs themselves?

what do you find most important that you seek in a religion or spiritual tradition?

Rituals and prayer should not determine a person's choice of religion now that it comes to mind. Such things are only exterior methods leading to exterior results if you do not have a firm grasp of them or do not appreciate them. I can borrow rituals and prayers from any religion and I often do making me quite the syncretist.
Belief itself is more important and any religion that claims more affirmative understanding of the world and mankind is truly less valid. A religion is about you and god and not about the genesis of cosmic existence and the evaluation of human desires in accordance to god. it is about YOUR attitude towards god. So many religious followers focus on god's deeds to this world instead of accommodating god's wonders to their hearts. More time is spent validating how god created the earth then how he is worthy of adoration to yourself.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Fwiw, some seekers of truth understand that God is cosmic existence,...eternal and infinite.

Furthermore, a presumption that the spirit/breath of God is absolutely separate from the soul of man is not consistent with many religious traditions.

It is noted that some men think that their body is what they are, while others are aware that they are living souls of the body,..the breath of God which is not separate from God.

Depending on the individual's understanding of what am I, the question of who am I will naturally be different. This is an individual endeavour and not a doctrine to be believed or followed.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm trying to get back to basics of belief and then build on that. Trouble is, I am having trouble just deciding on what I think the basics are.

HiddenHijabi

For me I knew Islam was the right religion for me when I realized that far from having to twist scripture into hoops and do some logical contortions, the beliefs of Islam fitted exactly what I believed to be the truth.

In part I wanted a religion that wasn't just a case of 'believe this set of beliefs' but 'believe this and then do this to show it'. I found that everything in Islam is linked, practices being linked to beliefs and to reasons.