• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to choose a church or denomination?

I am trying to learn more about Christian culture and history, and I would like to attend a local church group. However... there are so many of them!

How did you find which denomination or church worked for you? Were you just born in that particular denomination and decided to stick with it, or was it a discovery of self and theology?

Just wondering... I am stuck between regularly going to a) an Anglican parish, b) United Church congregation, and c) Quaker group.

I haven't visited the latter one yet, but I hope to soon enough!

God bless!

Edit: I just realised I had a thread in this same subforum that outlined this same basic loss of a parish group a year ago! XD

Last edited:

Treks

Gaura Priya

I can't really help as I'm very new to exploring Christianity myself, and am also going through the process of finding out which church would be best for me to start with. I'm reading about the different methods of practice and the major differences in belief and trying to be guided by my heart.

A subtle difference that has me intrigued is between Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox methods of prostration: Eastern Orthodox can prostrate like a Sikh would matha tek.

Anyway, just my dislocated thoughts.

Gaura Priya

I can't really help as I'm very new to exploring Christianity myself, and am also going through the process of finding out which church would be best for me to start with. I'm reading about the different methods of practice and the major differences in belief and trying to be guided by my heart.

A subtle difference that has me intrigued is between Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox methods of prostration: Eastern Orthodox can prostrate like a Sikh would matha tek.

Anyway, just my dislocated thoughts.

I grew up a Roman Catholic, so while exploring, I feel that it is important to look through and sift, because there are many fundamentalist groups out there as well as more accepting ones.

Eastern Orthodoxy is beautiful, but very reserved. It's one of the few Christian groups left where women must cover their heads during the Sunday Service! But yes, they do some full prostrations during the service.

For Catholics and Anglicans, kneeling or genuflecting is part of Sunday service instead.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I found the Anglican Church by accident.
I was happy to find contemplative and meditative practices were a foreign idea to them.
Their openness and acceptance of me just as I was, keeps me there.
And the availability/proximity to one is what keeps me going back.
The one I attend right now has a Priest who is very into Orthodox theological understanding,
and it head long into contemplative practices, which we talk at length about. It's great!

As you likely know, I've had involvement time with and within a Friend community.
Quite amazing as well. Very inclusive. Very open to what gets you to knowing that Inner Light of Goodness.
Services are unique experiences, often feeling more like a meditation circle than church.

Obviously very important to me, as an spiritual-open individual.

I grew up United Methodist and only know the history of the UCC here.
But understand them to be an open group of people, but more structured and more Protestant, of course.

When I'm curious about a place of worship, whatever the religion, I just go there and tell them I want to know more.
Never has anyone turned me away.

*Tips hat to the Coptic Christian Father, Father Yusef, who spent 3 hours helping me experience the liturgy,
and 3 more walking around the Church, talking history and icons. :namaste

Jump in with both feet my Friend.

Try it out. If you don't like it. Stop it. And try something different.
The right place to be has always seemed to find me, even when I have reluctance.

Good luck. :namaste

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
For me personally, it's all about finding which Church had the best continuity with the teachings of the Apostles. When I first began my searching of Christianity five years ago, it was about what I was born into, and rediscovering that. But slowly, history got more and more into it, and my search became less about just agreeing with what I was born into (Lutheranism), and more about finding the Church founded by Jesus Christ Himself, whose faith had not changed. Now, my search for the Church is based on several things:

1: Prayer.
2: Fasting.
3: Studying Scripture.
4: Reading the Fathers, the lives of the Saints, and the Councils.
5: Just asking the simple questions, "Is Christ calling me here? Can I feel Christ's and the Saints' presence and blessing here? Can this place help me further along the path of theosis?"

I pretty much have it narrowed down to Eastern Orthodoxy (which I'm leaning towards fairly heavily), Catholicism (preferably Eastern Catholicism), and Oriental Orthodoxy (which I consider to be the same as Eastern Orthodoxy anyway, regardless of the current schism between us :) )

Eastern Orthodoxy is beautiful, but very reserved. It's one of the few Christian groups left where women must cover their heads during the Sunday Service!
I'm going to note that almost none of the American parishes I've been to require the head covering; some do it out of pious practice, but outside of that, no one really cares. Maybe the Serbians and ROCOR do differently? :D

Now, my search for the Church is based on several things:

1: Prayer.
2: Fasting.
3: Studying Scripture.
4: Reading the Fathers, the lives of the Saints, and the Councils.
5: Just asking the simple questions, "Is Christ calling me here? Can I feel Christ's and the Saints' presence and blessing here? Can this place help me further along the path of theosis?"

I pretty much have it narrowed down to Eastern Orthodoxy (which I'm leaning towards fairly heavily), Catholicism (preferably Eastern Catholicism), and Oriental Orthodoxy (which I consider to be the same as Eastern Orthodoxy anyway, regardless of the current schism between us :) )

I'm going to note that almost none of the American parishes I've been to require the head covering; some do it out of pious practice, but outside of that, no one really cares. Maybe the Serbians and ROCOR do differently? :D

I grew up Roman Catholic, so the idea of the marks of the Church: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic, etc. seemed of great importance. My personal question that I have been struggling with is less about what Jesus founded, and more about what Jesus practiced.

What I like about the Anglican Church of Canada is that they celebrate Aboriginal heritage as a part of Canadian history. Also, a particular parish I like is open to people regardless of sex (two female priests!), economic status (a huge one for me), social ranking, age, sexual orientation, and anything else, besides being a Christian. They have been very welcoming and accomodating to me, and I do not deserve it! And I am attached to the Eucharist and Mariology. Bread of Heaven, Food of Angels! :bow:

The United Church of Canada is more of something I've done with. They have been welcoming, and very liberal and progressive (women as clergy, forefront of gay, lesbian, and now, transgender rights, creedless, interfaith, open communion for everyone), and I have done social Gospel initiatives with them in the past (like serving free Thanksgiving dinners for over one hundred homeless people!). I just am not that particular with Protestant worship. I've been raised on the Liturgy and Sacramental Theology, and it just isn't aesthetically nourishing enough for me.

Wow, that's good! We have a good proportion of Russian Orthodoxy here, and it's like, wearing a kerchief or scarf. Growing up Catholic, I only knew some old church ladies who did that, plus the odd conservative family. Or Latin Tridentine Mass. Maybe I should become American, lol!

Quakers are just awesome! I have yet to worship with them, but Christian pacifism, equality of the sexes, and openness to all Christians just seem very wonderful!

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Nice reflection. With mindful awareness like that, I believe you'll find what you hope for and not have to settle. Check out a Friends Meeting though before you make up your mind, if for nothing else but the experience. But to me, it sounds like the Anglicans are the group that will fulfill your needs and tendencies in things like bells and smells and Mary... allowing you to express your Catholic roots.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I bought a book on denominations and found ones that were closest to what I believe. The current one I go to, however, was because we already knew people there. It's a little too conservative for my tastes and is small, but is a great church nonetheless.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I chose my denomination very unwisely- I went and joined the first Church I was invited to. Seriously, you can do research online about what each denomination teaches and what fits your beliefs. It seems you have already done that to a certain degree. Any Church will let you know it's "Statement of Belief". The last Church I went to sent me it's statement of belief after I filled out a first time attender card- most Churches don't do that, though.
Sometimes the differences between different denominations is a really minor or superficial things but other times, it is major.
P. S. I am a Baptist, or at least I was and that is a very conservative denomination. I am not really conservative but I do like the way they worship and preach.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
I bought a book on denominations and found ones that were closest to what I believe. The current one I go to, however, was because we already knew people there. It's a little too conservative for my tastes and is small, but is a great church nonetheless.

Would like to read that book. Sounds great. Can you give us the name of the book as well as the author?

rusra02

Premium Member
I am trying to learn more about Christian culture and history, and I would like to attend a local church group. However... there are so many of them!

How did you find which denomination or church worked for you? Were you just born in that particular denomination and decided to stick with it, or was it a discovery of self and theology?

Just wondering... I am stuck between regularly going to a) an Anglican parish, b) United Church congregation, and c) Quaker group.

I haven't visited the latter one yet, but I hope to soon enough!

God bless!

Edit: I just realised I had a thread in this same subforum that outlined this same basic loss of a parish group a year ago! XD

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to learn what true Christianity is or simply join a religion that appeals to you? If the latter, your task is simple. But if you want to know the true teachings of Jesus Christ, the most direct way, IMO, is to read the Christian Greek Scriptures (Matthew to Revelation.) Then compare the teachings of the religions who profess to follow Christ's teachings with what Jesus really taught. Not just what they say but what they actually DO. Do they support war? Are they seeking money from you? Do the members follow Christ's teachings on moral conduct? Is the Bible the basis for their beliefs? I wish you well on your search. (John 4:23,24)

Choose a church that loves God and people.
Love is very important. It is more important than denomination.
Therefore, I will advise you to choose a church that loves God and loves people.