• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Build a Self-Conscious Machine

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Thousands of years of failure in this regard points to the simple truth: Human consciousness is not for anything at all. It serves no purpose. It has no evolutionary benefit. It arises at the union of two modules that are both so supremely useful that we can’t survive without either, and so we tolerate the annoying and detrimental consciousness that arises as a result.
How to Build a Self-Conscious Machine | Backchannel

Consciousness is a flaw in the system.

The article goes on to explain how a Self-Conscious machine could be made but also asks the question why would anyone what to. If self-consciousness isn't particularly good for anything and is a very inefficient part of the system of intelligence, why would a designer want to include it?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
How to build one? I think every computer I've built have had a mind on it's own. Only thing that helped at times of computer problems was to yell to it I would pull the plug on it or else.

A Vestigial Mote

In evolutionary terms, there needed to be "something" to steer the ship. What good is a giant glob of living cellular matter that has no singular volition or higher-order "purpose?" The consciousness is the one in charge of designing that purpose and acting upon it with respect to the outside world. All the individual cells and systems internally can then be left with the tasks assigned them, and the questions like "where do we get nutrients?", "where do we bed down for the night?", "where should we go when the water dries up?" have an authority to be turned to. And that's "you."

I just don't think calling that a "flaw" accurately summarizes the situation.

Bob the Unbeliever

How to build one? I think every computer I've built have had a mind on it's own. Only thing that helped at times of computer problems was to yell to it I would pull the plug on it or else.

Coming from a years-long career of programming? One of the best metaphors for computers I ever heard, was to imagine all language compilers/interpreters were made of a gaggle of maliciously lawful-evil, prankster monkeys: They had to do exactly as you told them to, but if there was room for any interpretation or sloppiness? They would always choose the worst possible outcome, within the parameters of your instructions.

A kind of Murphy's Law of computing: If a set of instructions can have a negative outcome, they will sooner than later, and at nearly the speed of light, and with an infinite loop too.

:)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can see the attraction in building a conscious machine.
But why a self conscious one?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In evolutionary terms, there needed to be "something" to steer the ship. What good is a giant glob of living cellular matter that has no singular volition or higher-order "purpose?" The consciousness is the one in charge of designing that purpose and acting upon it with respect to the outside world. All the individual cells and systems internally can then be left with the tasks assigned them, and the questions like "where do we get nutrients?", "where do we bed down for the night?", "where should we go when the water dries up?" have an authority to be turned to. And that's "you."

I just don't think calling that a "flaw" accurately summarizes the situation.

Computer are steering cars know. Likely at some point cars will no longer need human drivers. The car will make all of the decisions of how best to get us to our location.

My company is building a software system to manage all the decisions of managing a company. They rely on the software to tell them what to do. Not perfect now but it's what they are working towards.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Thousands of years of failure in this regard points to the simple truth: Human consciousness is not for anything at all. It serves no purpose. It has no evolutionary benefit. It arises at the union of two modules that are both so supremely useful that we can’t survive without either, and so we tolerate the annoying and detrimental consciousness that arises as a result.
How to Build a Self-Conscious Machine | Backchannel

Consciousness is a flaw in the system.

The article goes on to explain how a Self-Conscious machine could be made but also asks the question why would anyone what to. If self-consciousness isn't particularly good for anything and is a very inefficient part of the system of intelligence, why would a designer want to include it?
What an excellent article! I think everybody should take the time and effort to read it through.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I can see the attraction in building a conscious machine.
But why a self conscious one?
I actually sort of wonder whether it's even possible to be "conscious," but at the same time not "self conscious." After all, if conscious means being able to sense and react to surroundings, would not those very senses sense the presence of the self in those surroundings -- and then its own reaction?

But then, of course, I notice that while plants, for example, can sense where the sun is, and align themselves to it, surely they can't be aware that they are actually doing it. So, at what level of sophistication does that ability kick in? I know my dog (while she was alive) had it, but I could never really tell about the fish in my aquarium.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My thought is that conscious experiencing is the only thing in the universe that does matter.

Also I don't think you can build true consciousness into a machine that can subjectively experience. Consciousness is not physical is my view.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I actually sort of wonder whether it's even possible to be "conscious," but at the same time not "self conscious." After all, if conscious means being able to sense and react to surroundings, would not those very senses sense the presence of the self in those surroundings -- and then its own reaction?

But then, of course, I notice that while plants, for example, can sense where the sun is, and align themselves to it, surely they can't be aware that they are actually doing it. So, at what level of sophistication does that ability kick in? I know my dog (while she was alive) had it, but I could never really tell about the fish in my aquarium.
From virus to human, there's a vast continuum between unconscious
& conscious. Not only is defining the point it arises arbitrary, it is a
bear to measure. (No reverence to @Wu Wei there.)
I expect that advances will happen, & our understanding will improve.

A Vestigial Mote

Computer are steering cars know. Likely at some point cars will no longer need human drivers. The car will make all of the decisions of how best to get us to our location.

My company is building a software system to manage all the decisions of managing a company. They rely on the software to tell them what to do. Not perfect now but it's what they are working towards.
I see what you mean... however "consciousness" was likely "the best" that could be attained within the spectrum of nature/the-wild. Which, of course, puts us into the position of trying to determine what "the best" even means. If, to us, it means efficiency and lower probability of mistakes then we might look at the "machine" brain as more desirable. If, however, it means ability to work "on the fly", improvise and branch out into imagination for solution to problems... well then currently the human brain has the machines beat hands down, and my guess is that it will for quite some time.

Shadow Link

Well looky there, a conscious bubble...
17607DF2-CC0E-4B82-B220-5AB84D625968.jpeg