• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Best Enjoy Black Label Whiskey?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I usually drink bourbon instead of scotch. When I do drink scotch, it tends to be heavily peated, although I also like Balvenie and some Japanese offerings (which are scotch in all but name).

Any good whisk(e)y, I will drink neat and sip. To mix the good stuff almost seems criminal: you miss the whole experience.

For mixing, I'll use a cheaper bourbon, in which case, I'll put it into a ginger tea for a hot toddy. Alternatively, mixing with ginger ale gives a nice, light drink. But I haven't tried either of those with scotch.
Cheap whiskey is vile unless mixed.
It's perfect for the "Canadian Bacon" (aka Revoltistan Brain Food).
2/3 Canada House whiskey (the cheapest rock gut at my local supermarket.)
1/3 maple syrup
Add crumbled bacon.
Serve at room temp.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
It's a good think you mentioned whiskey. Otherwise...

Carling_Black_Label.png
Black Label Boilermakers?
Boilermaker (beer cocktail) - Wikipedia

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Cheap whiskey is vile unless mixed.
It's perfect for the "Canadian Bacon" (aka Revoltistan Brain Food).
2/3 Canada House whiskey (the cheapest rock gut at my local supermarket.)
1/3 maple syrup
Add crumbled bacon.
Serve at room temp.
I'd like to think that you're making this up but you probably aren't. :screamcat:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The man who started it all in Japan, if I rcall correctly, was inspired by visiting Scotland. Today they produce some of the best whisky in the world. I had a bottle of Yamazaki 12yo which I eked out for about a year. It is exquisite, but the price is eye-watering.

I haven't had Yamazaki, but Hibiki is quite nice and more in my price range.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
A friend and I are planning to have a drinking evening soon for a celebration, and I don't want to drink straight Black Label. I'm interested to hear recommendations on how to best enjoy it without drinking it straight--for example, the ideal pace of drinking, what to mix it with, etc.

All tips appreciated!

Whiskey ginger has been my go-to mixed drink for years. So good!

Heyo

Veteran Member
You might have to sell more than one!
Yep. Or exchange a 0.7 l bottle for a 0.35.
Of course the really good ones start at a 1 : 3 exchange. But you can get decent every day whisky at about the same prices as a Black Label.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yep. Or exchange a 0.7 l bottle for a 0.35.
Of course the really good ones start at a 1 : 3 exchange. But you can get decent every day whisky at about the same prices as a Black Label.
Right, I'm bored now cos I can't drink the stuff anymore. :screamcat:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A friend and I are planning to have a drinking evening soon for a celebration, and I don't want to drink straight Black Label. I'm interested to hear recommendations on how to best enjoy it without drinking it straight--for example, the ideal pace of drinking, what to mix it with, etc.

All tips appreciated!
Drink it with a girl named Mable.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

All tips appreciated!

I'd say spend a little more and get a nice, mellow single malt. Maybe Balvenie? Something not too "peat-y".

Then I would say add just one ice cube :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'd say spend a little more and get a nice, mellow single malt. Maybe Balvenie? Something not too "peat-y".

Then I would say add just one ice cube :)
No. Never ever add ice to a malt whisky! Instead warm it in your hand (using a tasting glass, of course). The temperature lets all the flavours come to bloom. You may want to add a drop of water to the last sip as that can reveal even more flavours.
Adding ice is for bourbon - as you don't want to have to taste it.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
No. Never ever add ice to a malt whisky! Instead warm it in your hand (using a tasting glass, of course). The temperature lets all the flavours come to bloom. You may want to add a drop of water to the last sip as that can reveal even more flavours.

Haha. Well I agree with the bourbon part of your post :) As for the single ice cube, I can respect your appreciation for a good single malt, and we can toast to that!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

All tips appreciated!

Its my dad's tipple. He drinks it either over ice, with Canada dry mixer or with fresh orange juice.

I am not a drinker but i consider diluting a good scotch (i am including black label as good even though it's blended) to be sacrilege.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We are of one mind :)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I bought my nephew a selection of single malt miniatures once for his birthday. He said he liked whisky. When I asked him a few weeks later what he thought of them, he said they were very nice with his usual mixer - cherryade.