• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to behave in front of a bear?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It depends on the kind of bear you meat. If it's a black bear there is no use in climbing trees. A black bear can climb also and it will climb after you and eat you.
Grizzlies otoh can't climb. So you will have a nice view of the scenery before the Grizzly knocks down the tree and eats you.
Black bears are pussycats. In fact, they're scared of pussycats.

Hardly more than big raccoons.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I was joking. You don't have to fear bears, wolves or tigers when you know how to behave. Humans are not on their menu and they usually avoid them. They only attack if threatened or if they are ill. What is really dangerous to humans is usually much smaller than we are, mosquitoes, ticks and other blood suckers. The only big animals which are dangerous are other humans. It's best to avoid them.
I give you an example: there was this bear which always roamed around a small village in Abruzzo. Absolutely not bashful at all. And this village had a butcher's shop. But the bear always roamed around the patisserie. And one fine day, he managed to break into that shop and ate so much sweet stuff.
So the fact that a bear prefers a bakery and not meat shop...well...it's reassuring.

ajay0

I think there are two responses , act dead or run.

If the bear is feeling territorial and defensive and attacks for that reason, it is better to lie down and act dead. The bear will then leave you alone.

If the bear is attacking due to hunger, then acting dead won't save you from becoming bear food. In such a situation, it is better to run and flee.

The right response depends on perceiving or gauging correctly the state of the bear, whether he is being defensive or actually hungry.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

If the bear is feeling territorial and defensive and attacks for that reason, it is better to lie down and act dead. The bear will then leave you alone.

If the bear is attacking due to hunger, then acting dead won't save you from becoming bear food. In such a situation, it is better to run and flee.

The right response depends on perceiving or gauging correctly the state of the bear, whether he is being defensive or actually hungry.

Let's say that I have so much food with me, and I will throw it at him.
Am I safe?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Let's say that I have so much food with me, and I will throw it at him.
Am I safe?
Until he's hungry again. Then he will seek you or somebody else to get more. Ask @Wu Wei, he's gettin' by on pick-a-nick baskets alone nowadays.
That's why you don't feed bears - or trolls.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Acting dead doesn't always work as you stated and you never run from a bear.

I'd grab branches and twigs and attempt to look bigger flailing my arms while screeching and howling like a crazy wild man while slowly moving away.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In the case I posted the bear didn't hunt the poor victim.
She just killed him because she felt threatened by him.
Same with Treadwell. It's believed he disturbed a strange bear that came from the interior while it was eating inside his camp. He also stayed further than he should have. as it was the period prior to hibernation.