• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to be truly happy!

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
I wanted to share and possibly discuss the topic of "how we can be truly happy," with whoever wanted to read or give their insight on it.

I think the underlying meaning and goal for all religious, non religious, spiritual, and non spiritual aspirants is to find happiness. Not just fleeting happiness that comes and goes in normal materialistic ways. I'm talking about the happiness you find within that never disappears no matter what you are doing.

My dillema in life personally is that I don't like what I do everyday in terms of working 9-5 and then going home and doing the same things I always do everyday. Life becomes drossy. I know this may be due to being an old soul, but I have to make money and work to pay bills and and help others I live with. I have a real problem trying to find happiness in what I do, so how can I work and still find enough joy and happiness within that will wipe away all redundancies and repetitiveness of life? My only solution I can think of is immersing my self with God's bliss.

Everytime I think something in the outer world is going to give me satisfaction I find that it lacks in fulfillment in the end. What I'm getting at is eventually life will come to a point where you have experienced enough of the world and need to find where true happiness and freedom lies. That happiness is in God, and I know most know that but its very hard to remember when your energy is constantly going outward. I then realize that hey its not the things I do that will make me happy but my beingness that will. The only way to have that unshakeable happiness and peace is through deeper and more joyous contact with God in meditation. I just felt inspired to start this thread because the whole reason we all seek truth or anything in this world is the underlying desire to find happiness and fulfillment. Happiness can be attained simply if your ego is simple and without to many desires. I might be preaching to the choir but this topic should be talked about more since to me and deep down for everyone its the only thing that matters really. Its why Jesus said, "Seek ye the kingdom of God first, and all else shall be added unto you." If I could only know one thing in this world that line right there and how my Guru states it is the only thing I would need to know. Its also universal.

If anyone has any other thoughts or advice on this subject please respond. I would love to hear from you! God bless! :)

our experience of anything is wholly dependent on the definitions by which we choose our relationship to it. to share another quote attributed to jesus in the book of thomas the contender that i feel fits quite well here:

"Blessed is the wise man who sought after the truth, and when he found it, he rested upon it forever and was unafraid of those who wanted to disturb him."

if you settle on happiness as your truth and define all your experiences by it, only you yourself would be able to wrest it from you. and in fact, it is also only you yourself who can grant it to you.

i feel appreciation is another important concept in realizing happiness. in a mode of appreciation, you deny yourself nothing. you become a pure channel for the highest feelings of joy and happiness, and everything reflective of this state is made apparent to you. it is the path that every master exemplified and taught.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
our experience of anything is wholly dependent on the definitions by which we choose our relationship to it.

Very true! Perspective is everything, but in time the problem I see is that perspective can change without your control. I think the only way to permanently keep your perspective optimistic and fresh is to raise your own consciousness up enough to feel gratitude and happiness for all things no matter how negative or positive the circumstance or experience may be. The only way to raise your consciousness to its highest point or to higher than average points is to merge it with God's.

to share another quote attributed to jesus in the book of thomas the contender that i feel fits quite well here:

"Blessed is the wise man who sought after the truth, and when he found it, he rested upon it forever and was unafraid of those who wanted to disturb him."

Thank you for the quote! Once truth is found no untruth can fool you or shake your peace.

if you settle on happiness as your truth and define all your experiences by it, only you yourself would be able to wrest it from you. and in fact, it is also only you yourself who can grant it to you.

I agree! I almost want to argue that some mistake their current happiness for true happiness, when they do not know what true happiness really is. My point is there are different levels of happiness in my opinion and lasting happiness will always evade us until it springs from God contact. Then and only then can it never be taken away from the waves of negative and positive energy of Maya.

i feel appreciation is another important concept in realizing happiness. in a mode of appreciation, you deny yourself nothing. you become a pure channel for the highest feelings of joy and happiness, and everything reflective of this state is made apparent to you. it is the path that every master exemplified and taught.

True! This goes back to the idea that happiness is a state of being and not dependent on a certain result from a certain action. If we can raise our consciousness up enough to be able to appreciate all of life then that level of happiness is not evasive. You are right its the goal of all masters.

no-body

That depends on how you define "happiness" a lot of people see the dharmic religions as teaching some superhuman feat of will to rid yourself of your emotions and live in a pleasurable state forever when this is far from the truth.

From my understanding of enlightened states everything says (except for myths) that you will still experience everything a human being does except you won't become attached to it and cause yourself further suffering.

There is no magical key or door to unlock. No technique, ritual, discipline, religion or anything else. It's just right here, right now.

no-body

Whatever 'It' is...if it is here why do people die?
:run:

Because we are mortal and bound by certain rules . The true happiness from within never dies but that is not "you" what you think of as "you" is an illusion, just a bundle of thoughts masquerading as you.

Anyways if you've found some practice that gives you provable earthly immortality I would like to see it.