• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the heck are people so stupid?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes - it's called a reality check.

Your profile says you're 30 years old. According to you, you make about $24,500 and bring home after taxes about $11.70 an hour (assuming you work full time).

Who is going to take care of you in YOUR old age? Where is your retirement fund coming from?

I guess I can see why you're not too worried about paying into the tax bucket though.

But what does that have to do with anything? We're talking about taxes. This has nothing to do with taxes; it has to do with the high price of living these days. Lowering taxes isn't the answer to allow a couple making $100,000 to have a great retirement.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's not a crime to make money and earn a great living in America. It shouldn't be punished as such. Progressive tax is great for re-distribution of wealth to marginally address the imbalance, but throw that around too much and there's bound to be trouble.

Example: in the new budget proposed, anyone making $250,000 and over would be capped as to how much of their mortgage interest they can deduct. Question: Who can afford expensive houses, or buy a lot of houses? Rich people or the average Joe? The answer is obvious. So why do we disincentivize those who are in the best position to buy up houses? Answer: redistribution of wealth taken to the nth degree with an agenda and no footing in economic reality.

Is this a direct quote from Glenn Beck or are you just paraphrasing?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
$1200 (mortgage)
$500 (utilities and internet/TV)
$500 (minimum for charitable causes - would like to give more, and sometimes does)
$200 (property taxes)
$500 (car payments)
$1000 (Could be life insurance, college for a couple of kids, child support, braces for kids, medical expenses, etc - any number of real and significant costs)
$400 (health insurance - and that would be a very low figure)
$200 (phones, misc)
$200 (gas for two people per month)
$600 (Medicare, SS payments)
$1000 (savings, short and long term - not enough, by the way)
$600 (groceries, eating out, entertaining)
$200 (clothing and personal items)
$200 (car insurance for multiple vehicles)
$150 (average of vehicle expense for two vehicles over a year - tires, maintenance, etc)

$600 (Medicare, SS payments)

What is SS medicare payments?wE pay ss# out of our taxes.IOW that should be included in your 24,000 you pay every year.

$500 (minimum for charitable causes - would like to give more, and sometimes does)

Im sorry but that is too much to give away if you are truly concerned you will be unable to support your self in your retirement years.What good does it do to give that much away and then become a charity case your self later on?%100 a month would be generous .Theres $400 a month .

$500 (car payments)

Pay the cars off early and drive them untill they start to break down ...reducing the amount of interest you pay..and eliminating car payments say 3 years out of 10.Lets say makign that average monthly for car payments $300 a month instead of $500.Thats $200 in the bank.

$200 (property taxes)

$1200 (mortgage)

So in reality you are paying $1400 a month for your home.Not $1200.Taxes and insurance are IMHO part of how much you pay for a house.If you are paying $1200 just for your principle and interest maybe you cant afford to live in that house.We pay $760 a month for a 4 bedroom 1800square ft house we bought 22 years ago.That payment includes principle and interest ,property taxes and home insurance.if we wanted too..we could have bought a bigger home and be paying double that.So lets meet in the middle and say 1100.00 a month for a decent house that includes taxes and insurance. $300 a month saved.

$1000 (Could be life insurance, college for a couple of kids, child support, braces for kids, medical expenses, etc - any number of real and significant costs)

This sounds like an awful lot.Especially when several of the things you mentioned are tempory for a few years and optional.If youur spending an everage of 12,000 a year every year for these things then I dont know what to say except you cant afford life insurance and you cant afford to pay for yoru kids college.I would cut that # in half. $500 saved.And that is still allowing for $6,000 a year for these items.I think in lets say 20 years 120,000 should be enough.

So if I dont add in that $600 a month in SS medicare payments a month because Im not sure what you are talking about I've trimmed $1400 a month off your budget.

I guess what Im saying is if you are struggling to make ends meet on 8,000 a month without any unusual circumstances then somethings not right.

And you said you claim ZERO deductions? Well why?that sounds like your problem.The government allows for deductions to adjust your tax burden based on your cost of living.

We are a sole propriertship.My husband and I deduct first of all ourselves and kids as dependents..Our mortgage interest..our property taxes..in our case we get to write off (a %) of our health insurance and medical and dental expenses..car maintenince and repair for his vehicle because its used for the business as well as mileage..our childs college expenses..etc...

Why in the world would you not claim any deductions?You cant claim no dedcutions and then complain you pay to much in taxes.

Love

Dallas

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Lowering taxes isn't the answer to allow a couple making $100,000 to have a great retirement.
You don't think giving the government the money is a better idea do you? Who will have a greater chance of saving for the future a couple making a six figure income or the government?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So if I dont add in that $600 a month in SS medicare payments a month because Im not sure what you are talking about I've trimmed $1400 a month off your budget.

I guess what Im saying is if you are struggling to make ends meet on 8,000 a month without any unusual circumstances then somethings not right.

And you said you claim ZERO deductions? Well why?that sounds like your problem.The government allows for deductions to adjust your tax burden based on your cost of living.

We are a sole propriertship.My husband and I deduct first of all ourselves and kids as dependents..Our mortgage interest..our property taxes..in our case we get to write off (a %) of our health insurance and medical and dental expenses..car maintenince and repair for his vehicle because its used for the business as well as mileage..our childs college expenses..etc...

Why in the world would you not claim any deductions?You cant claim no dedcutions and then complain you pay to much in taxes.

Love

Dallas

Dallas - all year we don't claim deductions so that the government will take out the maximum from our checks. THEN we claim our deductions on our taxes - and in spite of having the maximum taken out all year, we still have to pay more in taxes at the end of the year.

As for SS and Medicare - those are taken out of our checks SEPARATELY from the federal taxes. If you look on just about any paycheck stub, most employers break that figure down for you. And yes, those taxes are IN ADDITION to the federal taxes that I'm ranting about.

By the way, the figures that I posted are not just MY figures - they are based on the averages that I see for people in a similar income category.

I believe that responsible people generally carry life insurance and if at all possible help pay for their kids' education. Those don't seem like unrealistic goals for middle class Americans.

As for itemized deductions - yes, Dallas, my husband and I itemize them, and take off the interest we pay on the house, sales tax, etc. - and on our ADJUSTED net income, we still have to write a check every April 15. We don't own a business so we can't take off mileage and that sort of thing like a sole proprietorship can. We can't take off tuition because we can't claim my stepson as a dependent - even though we pay about $1000 a month in child support, and have him about 1/3 of the time at our house.

I didn't say that we can't personally make it on $8000 a month - heck, I didn't even say that we MAKE $8000 a month - like I said, I was generalizing using the typical set of bills for a family who DOES make about that much money. Of COURSE a family can make it on that amount. That's not my point.

My point is that a family in that income bracket is supposedly living the American Dream. I was simply providing a list of the expenses of that American Dream and trying to paint a picture of the typical moderately affluent middle aged American family.

So many people aim for this level of lifestyle their whole life - the nice house (not luxury home - just a nice house in a good neighborhood), nice car, some money in the bank, good schools for their kids, a fun week of vacation once a year, a decent plan for retirement at age 65. It seems so, I don't know - ATTAINABLE and reasonable to aim for.

I was simply writing down a bit of a reality check. It's not necessarily living on Easy Street - especially when you think you've reached a certain goal, and then the rules get changed on you. Suddenly you're paying more and more in taxes, and you're watching your "guaranteed" Social Security benefits that you factored into your retirement plan ten or twenty years ago - just dissappearing before your very eyes.

Many people caught in this situation feel alarmed and betrayed.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Dallas - all year we don't claim deductions so that the government will take out the maximum from our checks. THEN we claim our deductions on our taxes - and in spite of having the maximum taken out all year, we still have to pay more in taxes at the end of the year.

This does not make any sense.They arent taking out the right %.

The only way you should owe anything at the end of the year if you claim no deductions and then AFTER you claim deductions still owe is if they arent taking the right % out of your checks to begin with.Well not the "only way" the other way is if you had any other additional sources of income that had zero withholding taken out such as profit on the sale of a stock or a home(2nd home that is) alimony ..child support ..etc...

Or in our case since our taxes are estimated for the current year are based on last years income if we make more than the year pervious or if we have less deductions etc..

Do you have an accountant.Because what you are saying doesnt make any sense.Unless they arent taking enough out.No one who gets paid hourly or on salary by the way has any "deductions" counted off their paychecks(except counting your self as a depentent or not).Its all based on your income and then you write stuff off when it comes to filing .And if after that you owe a signficant % of your income more than what you have paid then they arent witholding enough throughout the year.

But either way it would equal the same amount Kathryn.Its not "extra" after you have paid in the propper amount.You can not convince me that thoughtout the year they are witholding the right % based on yoru earnings and then charging you more on top of that.That doesnt make any sense .If that is true you need to hire an expert to figure it out.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Bankruptcy maybe. In the meantime there is no paycheck for the owner if there is no profit. A small business cannot just print fiat currency as needed like the government does.

There is no doubt that business owners can go broke or barely make enough to live on ..All I was trying to say was in response to the employee having a "guranteed pay check" that isn't any more true than the shop owner turning a "guranteed profit".

My son just lost his (little job)..He had a weeks worth of pay coming to him.Untill he finds a job somewhere else there is no more "guranteed pay check".

And yes some people can file unemployment.Not all.Of the ones that can they recieve a fraction of what they earn and its temporary.At least thats the way it was when my husband got laid off.He got the maiximum at the time and it was roughly 1/2 what he was earning at his job.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Bankruptcy maybe. In the meantime there is no paycheck for the owner if there is no profit. A small business cannot just print fiat currency as needed like the government does.

No ..but they can run out and get a job and get a "guranteed pay check" untill they figure out what to do now cant they?

Love

Dallas

Kathryn

This does not make any sense.They arent taking out the right %.

The only way you should owe anything at the end of the year if you claim no deductions and then AFTER you claim deductions still owe is if they arent taking the right % out of your checks to begin with.Well not the "only way" the other way is if you had any other additional sources of income that had zero withholding taken out such as profit on the sale of a stock or a home(2nd home that is) alimony ..child support ..etc...

Or in our case since our taxes are estimated for the current year are based on last years income if we make more than the year pervious or if we have less deductions etc..

Do you have an accountant.Because what you are saying doesnt make any sense.Unless they arent taking enough out.No one who gets paid hourly or on salary by the way has any "deductions" counted off their paychecks(except counting your self as a depentent or not).Its all based on your income and then you write stuff off when it comes to filing .And if after that you owe a signficant % of your income more than what you have paid then they arent witholding enough throughout the year.

But either way it would equal the same amount Kathryn.Its not "extra" after you have paid in the propper amount.You can not convince me that thoughtout the year they are witholding the right % based on yoru earnings and then charging you more on top of that.That doesnt make any sense .If that is true you need to hire an expert to figure it out.

Love

Dallas

Dallas, maybe we're saying the same thing but approaching it from different directions.

What I am saying is that even though I claim zero deductions on my W-4 with my employer - AND have them withhold some extra per pay period (though apparently not enough, damn it) we still owe money at the end of each year. You're right - whether they withhold at the zero deduction rate PLUS some or just at the zero deduction rate - it's gotta be paid.

I know I have to pay my taxes. The point I am trying to make is that I am not sure if many people really KNOW just how much in taxes the middle class has to pay - the class of people that Obama promises not to raise taxes on.

You may know this already but:

When you go to work someplace, you have to fill out a mandated form called a W-4. On this form you list the number of exemptions you want to claim, so that your employer can figure out the percentage of federal tax to take out of your check. Many people on that form claim the number of exemptions they are going to claim on their 1040 form at the end of the year when figuring taxes. Not everyone does though. In our case, we claim zero exemptions.

The more exemptions you claim, the less tax is withheld - because the figure is that you are going to claim those same exemptions on your tax return at the end of the year. Many people prefer to use their own money during the year and hope to break even at the end of the year - and in many cases, come out ahead.

On our W-4s my husband and I claim ZERO exemptions. In other words, we don't even claim OURSELVES as an exemption. That way, our employer sends the IRS the maximum amount of taxes throughout the year. Often we resubmit this form to have the IRS hold out even MORE of our paycheck each pay period, to offset the amount of tax we are STILL going to owe, IN SPITE OF CLAIMING ZERO DEDUCTIONS all year. (In fact, this year I just resubmitted my W-4 to my employer asking for them to withhold more money than required out of each paycheck for taxes.)

If you go to www.irs.gov and search W-4 worksheet, you will find a worksheet that will help you figure out how much MORE money you need to have withheld, even with zero exemptions claimed, based on your income. This is optional of course. But what does it matter? Pay more now or pay more in April - the bottom line is that even with claiming zero deductions and paying the maximum rate, if you fall in a certain combined income bracket, you'll pay a much higher tax rate than other people.

According to this worksheet - in addition to the amount of taxes that we pay each pay period at the zero deduction level, in order to break even at the end of the tax year (forget about ever getting a REFUND), we would have to send in about $1000 more PER PAY PERIOD. Yes, folks - that's over $2000 more PER MONTH. IN ADDITION to the federal tax that we're already having deducted at zero exemptions level.

Our COMBINED incomes put us in a higher tax bracket with a higher tax RATE. So in other words, not only are we paying MORE taxes than most Americans, we are also paying a higher PERCENTAGE of our earnings in taxes.

The unpleasant (or pleasant - depends on whether it's income tax time or not!) fact is that we fall into an income bracket where we are required to pay the US government tens of thousands of dollars each year - even though we claim zero exemptions all year long.

Someone has to pay ADDITIONAL taxes and not get a "refund." And someone has to make up for all the "refund" checks the government sends out every year. Contrary to the media spin, it's not just the millionaires who have to send in checks every April (or quarterly) - it's middle aged middle class people as well.

I've hired accountants for many years. I checked behind them and usually found even more deductions than they gave us credit for, so for the past couple of years I haven't hired an accountant. But when I did - guess what - we still sent in money every April.

Just to clarify - we don't have any income that hasn't already had taxes taken out of it.

And like I've stated again and again - I am not opposed to paying taxes to live in the United States of America. I AM opposed to calling a redistribution of wealth a tax REFUND - when the recipient didn't even pay in the amount of the refund check!

I also think it's good for people to realize how much of their year they spend paying taxes before they actually begin working for themselves. IN my case, my husband and I work for the federal government till sometime in April of every year. Or you could put it another way - my husband works for us all year, and my entire paycheck (yes, the equivalent of my entire annual salary as a full time banker!) goes only to paying our taxes.

If I really thought about it, I could get very depressed! Sheeze, even I never realized that till just this minute.

Just to let you know - we considered the option of me not working at all, but my husband has a very good job. Even if I quit working to lower our tax bracket, he would still pay over $20,000 a year in taxes.

We are however, working on a plan to do this. We have to sell our place and downsize though - and my car is nearly paid off, and our house is on the market. Hope it sells.

Hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
and my entire paycheck (yes, the equivalent of my entire annual salary as a full time banker!) goes only to paying our taxes.

Definatley you should quit unless you just enjoy working.

We are however, working on a plan to do this. We have to sell our place and downsize though - and my car is nearly paid off, and our house is on the market. Hope it sells.

If every penny you are earning litterally goes to taxes why would you downsize?

Even though I think "downsizing" sometimes is best and frees up some cash so you arent so tight around the belt..And with a smaller house you also have the advantage of saving in utilities.Having said that you have less of a write off on interest and taxes.

Im glad my husband and I stayed put..Everyone was like BUY a bigger house over the years..We thought about and and even looked into quite a few times.

But now we enjoy the fact that our house payment is only about 10% of of our income a year.And I cant imagine if in this 1800square ft house our electricity bill runs as high as $500 a month in the summer how much more in utilities we would pay in a 3,000 square ft.

I'de rather have a smaller house..and drive older cars ..and be able to go out to eat more often ..save more..Speaking of cars..I drive a 14 year old mountaineer.(yes I know a gas guzzler but I only drive maybe 1,200 miles a year)..and we paid my husbands off early in 3 years instead of 5 so we have enjoyed no car payments at all for over a year now.And only had one car payment for many years because I dont need a brand new car every 4 or 5 years.Especially because my husband does.He puts about 30,000 miles a year on a car due to the nature of our business.

I dont want to minimize your angst..but do be grateful your husband has a good income .

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh and also I believe in accelerating your mortgage payments.Not only do you pay it off sooner when you are younger..You save so many thousands in interest .I HATE paying interest if you couldn't tell by now..LOL!! Im no friend of your bank Kathryn...LOL!!!

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Just to let you know - we considered the option of me not working at all, but my husband has a very good job. Even if I quit working to lower our tax bracket, he would still pay over $20,000 a year in taxes.

The most we ever made in one year was right at 100,000 ...and we paid about 15,000 in taxes.Thats every thing though.Not just FICA.And we had a LOT of write offs.I will admit that year I was mad because we had paid close to 10,000 that year just for health insurance.

It was worse one year when we paid 13,000 in a year we made 73,000.But thats because I had to pay penalties for early IRA withdrawls.(10%) on top of income for the sales.

Now your making me mad...LOL!!!

Love

Dallas

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Oh and also I believe in accelerating your mortgage payments.Not only do you pay it off sooner when you are younger..You save so many thousands in interest .I HATE paying interest if you couldn't tell by now..LOL!! Im no friend of your bank Kathryn...LOL!!!

Love

Dallas

I'm not sure where you live, but in many parts of the Bay Area where median home prices are like $300k - $400k, people will never pay off their loans. Why do they want to pay them off anyways? Makes more sense to own in this market compared to rent and with the deductions factored in, it's like renting from yourself and you own more of the house every month. :rolleyes:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You don't think giving the government the money is a better idea do you? Who will have a greater chance of saving for the future a couple making a six figure income or the government?

I'd be happy to respond, if you can make this make sense.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I'm not sure where you live, but in many parts of the Bay Area where median home prices are like $300k - $400k, people will never pay off their loans. Why do they want to pay them off anyways? Makes more sense to own in this market compared to rent and with the deductions factored in, it's like renting from yourself and you own more of the house every month. :rolleyes:

Well first of all its less (way) a month going out for the cost of the roof.And you dont pay as much interest over your lifetime.

Sure the interest is a tax right off.So you lose that right off.But you still have to pay property taxes every year which can be counted.

And if it makes a difference I live in Plano,Tx.

Love

Dallas

Kathryn

The most we ever made in one year was right at 100,000 ...and we paid about 15,000 in taxes.Thats every thing though.Not just FICA.And we had a LOT of write offs.I will admit that year I was mad because we had paid close to 10,000 that year just for health insurance.

It was worse one year when we paid 13,000 in a year we made 73,000.But thats because I had to pay penalties for early IRA withdrawls.(10%) on top of income for the sales.

Now your making me mad...LOL!!!

Love

Dallas

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still have kids at home, and own your own business? Those are some hefty deductions.

We have no kids at home and are both employees, not business owners or independent contractors. So we pay much more in taxes on $100,000 than you and your family does.

I can't quit working just because my ENTIRE INCOME goes to paying our taxes - because even if I quit working, we still would have to pay over $20,000 in taxes - so my income does help offset that tax bill. If I didn't work to pay it, it would still have to be paid - by my husband alone.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very grateful that I have a husband who is such a hard worker and so good at what he does, and that he makes a very good income. I'm also grateful to live in the US, and I know that I have to pay taxes for that privilege.

I am just trying to shed light on the reality of the middle aged middle class in this country.

By the way - I don't know why this is, but BEFORE I turned in my revised W-4 the other day, my federal tax outtake was higher in January than it had been in 2009. So was my husband's - about $20 more out of our checks to federal taxes.

Did anyone else see that increase? Isn't that a (GASP!) tax increase??? Weren't we told that people making under $250,000 a year would not have a tax increase?

Check your January paystubs and compare the federal taxes to your last paystub in December 2009 and see if there's an increase.

Kathryn

By the way, not really sure why this matters, but I drive a five year old car that I bought used. Our house is 2650 square feet and 40 years old. We take one vacation a year - for an average of five days - usually go to the beach within driving distance.

We're not living lavishly by any means - though we DO spend a lot of extra money on cat treats and dog bisquits, to avoid an uprising in our house.