• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the heck are people so stupid?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I realized that there's something wrong with American politics and society - NO HUMAN BEING CAN BE STUPID ENOUGH TO DO SOME OF THE THINGS REPUBLICANS DO.

There is NO possible way, for example, that a middle class person could think that nationalized healthcare would be bad for them. No one is stupid enough to fight against something that is obviously in their own interest.
This link attempts to explain it, but it still doesn't answer the question - WHY ARE PEOPLE THAT STUPID?!? WHAT MAKES AMERICANS SO VEHEMENTLY AGAINST EVERYTHING THAT IS REMOTELY GOOD OR BENEFICIAL?!?

Or, for a better example, why are some people against homosexual rights? NO ONE could truly be stupid enough to believe that gays shouldn't have the right to marry just because of what some old book says, especially since those same people ignore just about everything else in the book. NO ONE could possibly be stupid enough to take the Bible as fact or to believe that it was literally authored by God. Approximately seven seconds of critical thinking will make one realize that since there are hundreds if not thousands of different versions of the Bible that say slightly different things, they can't all be the word of God. Another two minutes or so of critical thought makes one remember the Catholic Church and how they edited and manipulated the Bible for their own gain during the Dark Ages, and how parts of the Bible were cut out even before then. How can a book that's constantly being edited by humans possibly be the Word of God?

Of course, those folk are probably the uneducated, right? They're just that way because they haven't learned better, right? Eh, wrong. A while back, an example of blatant stupidity on the professional level emerged in the North American Politics section:
Edge: WHAT MAKES PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN? By Jonathan Haidt

I would say that the second rule of moral psychology is that morality is not just about how we treat each other (as most liberals think); it is also about binding groups together, supporting essential institutions, and living in a sanctified and noble way.

When Republicans say that Democrats "just don't get it," this is the "it" to which they refer. Conservative positions on gays, guns, god, and immigration must be understood as means to achieve one kind of morally ordered society. When Democrats try to explain away these positions using pop psychology they err, they alienate, and they earn the label "elitist." But how can Democrats learn to see—let alone respect—a moral order they regard as narrow-minded, racist, and dumb?
Conservative apologism. "Living in a sanctified and noble way" as a justification for restricting gay rights and promoting the idea of God in public schools (both of which republicans want to do)?
They want more prayer and spanking in schools, and less sex education and access to abortion? I didn't think those steps would reduce AIDS and teen pregnancy, but I could see why the religious right wanted to "thicken up" the moral climate of schools and discourage the view that children should be as free as possible to act on their desires. Conservatives think that welfare programs and feminism increase rates of single motherhood and weaken the traditional social structures that compel men to support their own children? Hmm, that may be true, even if there are also many good effects of liberating women from dependence on men. I had escaped from my prior partisan mindset (reject first, ask rhetorical questions later), and began to think about liberal and conservative policies as manifestations of deeply conflicting but equally heartfelt visions of the good society.
So he admits that their ideas are destructive, but he still suggests that they are on equal intellectual footing with liberals. That their view of a "good society" is justified. Disgusting.

Which brings me to my point... no human being could possibly be that outright stupid! Obviously, some conspiracy is going on. Since no human being could possibly be that stupid, the only logical conclusion is either that they're acting stupid as part of a social ritual, or these people don't really exist and they're made up by people who are intelligent but enjoy destroying the lives of others.

Of course, stupidity is present in fields besides politics (which is why I put this in the general discussion section rather than the politics sections). In the social world, people often feel compelled to lie and deceive as part of social ritual. This is actually part of a real disease, called Neurotypical Disorder, but no one seems to take it seriously (so far, every single site I've found speaking of neurotypical disorder have been satire).

For example, here's something I've observed in myself - why is it that when a male is sexually attracted to a female, the male automatically feels nervous around the female, despite the fact that he has no reason to be nervous and a lot of reasons not to be nervous (ie, being nervous around a girl is a huge turn-off).

Or, in young neurotypicals, a common occurence is for males and females who are attracted to eachother to be mean to eachother, to hide the fact that they like eachother. This is apparently is called "flirting," and is very common in the middle-school age range.
WHY?!? Why would someone intentionally try to put off someone they would want to go out with? Why do I feel nervous when I'm around sexy women? How did humans evolve to be so counterproductive to their mating goals?
[/rant]

Last edited:

Humanistheart

How? I find that there's something wrong with the gap between minimum levels of human intelligence and republican idealogy (with republican idealogy being the lower of the two).

How? The part where you claim no human would be stupid enough to do the things the republicans do.

Clearly there are people stupid enough to do these things. That entire sentance of your's I quoted in my last post is one big contradiction, designed more for insulting purposes than as an actual observation.

Last edited:

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
How? The part where you claim no human would be stupid enough to do the thingsthe republicans do.

Clearly there are people stupid enough to do these things. That entire sentance of your's I quoted in my last post is one big contradiction, designed more for insulting purposes than as an actual observation.

I still don't see the contradiction.

Fact: People do what republicans do.

Common sense: No human being could be stupid enough to do what republicans do.

Conclusion: Therefore, something must be wrong.

Humanistheart

I still don't see the contradiction.

Fact: People do what republicans do.

Common sense: No human being could be stupid enough to do what republicans do.

Conclusion: Therefore, something must be wrong.

:facepalm: No, by your formula, the conclusion would be that, if no human can do what the republicans do, then republicans are not humans.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I realized that there's something wrong with American politics and society - NO HUMAN BEING CAN BE STUPID ENOUGH TO DO SOME OF THE THINGS REPUBLICANS DO.

There is NO possible way, for example, that a middle class person could think that nationalized healthcare would be bad for them. No one is stupid enough to fight against something that is obviously in their own interest.
This link attempts to explain it, but it still doesn't answer the question - WHY ARE PEOPLE THAT STUPID?!? WHAT MAKES AMERICANS SO VEHEMENTLY AGAINST EVERYTHING THAT IS REMOTELY GOOD OR BENEFICIAL?!?

Or, for a better example, why are some people against homosexual rights? NO ONE could truly be stupid enough to believe that gays shouldn't have the right to marry just because of what some old book says, especially since those same people ignore just about everything else in the book. NO ONE could possibly be stupid enough to take the Bible as fact or to believe that it was literally authored by God. Approximately seven seconds of critical thinking will make one realize that since there are hundreds if not thousands of different versions of the Bible that say slightly different things, they can't all be the word of God. Another two minutes or so of critical thought makes one remember the Catholic Church and how they edited and manipulated the Bible for their own gain during the Dark Ages, and how parts of the Bible were cut out even before then. How can a book that's constantly being edited by humans possibly be the Word of God?

Of course, those folk are probably the uneducated, right? They're just that way because they haven't learned better, right? Eh, wrong. A while back, an example of blatant stupidity on the professional level emerged in the North American Politics section:
Edge: WHAT MAKES PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN? By Jonathan Haidt

Conservative apologism. "Living in a sanctified and noble way" as a justification for restricting gay rights and promoting the idea of God in public schools (both of which republicans want to do)?So he admits that their ideas are destructive, but he still suggests that they are on equal intellectual footing with liberals. That their view of a "good society" is justified. Disgusting.

Which brings me to my point... no human being could possibly be that outright stupid! Obviously, some conspiracy is going on. Since no human being could possibly be that stupid, the only logical conclusion is either that they're acting stupid as part of a social ritual, or these people don't really exist and they're made up by people who are intelligent but enjoy destroying the lives of others.

Of course, stupidity is present in fields besides politics (which is why I put this in the general discussion section rather than the politics sections). In the social world, people often feel compelled to lie and deceive as part of social ritual. This is actually part of a real disease, called Neurotypical Disorder, but no one seems to take it seriously (so far, every single site I've found speaking of neurotypical disorder have been satire).

For example, here's something I've observed in myself - why is it that when a male is sexually attracted to a female, the male automatically feels nervous around the female, despite the fact that he has no reason to be nervous and a lot of reasons not to be nervous (ie, being nervous around a girl is a huge turn-off).

Or, in young neurotypicals, a common occurence is for males and females who are attracted to eachother to be mean to eachother, to hide the fact that they like eachother. This is apparently is called "flirting," and is very common in the middle-school age range.
WHY?!? Why would someone intentionally try to put off someone they would want to go out with? Why do I feel nervous when I'm around sexy women? How did humans evolve to be so counterproductive to their mating goals?
[/rant]

Prejudice, racism. classism, lies, lied to, mis-information, ill-advised, ill-informed....

SCARD-ISM....

Take your pick. Mix and match where need be.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
:facepalm: No, by your formula, the conclusion would be that, if no human can do what the republicans do, then republicans are not humans.

Actually, I was thinking that republicans weren't real and people just pretended to be republican as part of some bizarre social game, but I can see how you drew that other conclusion from that chain of logic too...

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I live in a town in north florida that has one of the highest poverty levels in the state. It is mostly republican. :facepalm: It became even more republican this last election because all the incest southern baptist fundie hicks would rather be republican than be associated with a party that would elect a "black muslim." I got to hear about it at work all the time from our lovely customer base. People are so racist here it's sickening sometimes.

Likewise, I have had to get forceful with people at work I have tried to help. Why I try to help thier stupid ***** I don't know. But they will want to do one thing which will be super expensive for them, while they complain about thier bill being too expensive, and I try to tell them that to get what they want they need to let me do xyz. "Whattaya mean I gotta blah blah and change blah blah and I'll lose blah blah. You dam people are always tryin da pull tricks and blah..."

-"No you're not going to lose blah blah, no you don't have to change blah blah, no there are no fees, no, no, no..."

Sometimes I do give up when they keep on hollering at me about something I can easily fix for them, and I let them go to thier lawyer over whatever it is that thier lawyer can do nothing about because it was thier fault in the first place and they had been given thier choices. Over something stupid and simple.

When you work with the public you develop a deep loathing for humanity. I still get little surprises, but just when I thought I had seen the depths of retardation, I meet a new idiot more shocking than the last.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Dallas, I know this wasn't directed at me but I would seriously like to know why woud you cheapen the word love by writing it after a post like this?

Its not cheapening the word love.

Saying the truth as you see it isnt non loving.Not in my opinion..

If it cheapens to word for you then dont use it for your self .

LOVE

Dallas

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
You seem to be delusional your self.

Love

Dallas

Hmm, I do feel sort of delusional. Try asking me about the subject again in a couple days or so. If I have my emotional patterns down correctly, I'll probably be depressed and worried about how inferior I am and how I'll never find love. And then after that, I'll probably start developing theories on how people with Asperger's are destined to be the master race that rules over the rest of humanity. I think that's how the pattern goes... depression -> arrogance -> paranoia/anger -> repeat.

(Yes, this is normal, they're called mood swings. Although I'm not sure if most teenagers bother to map out their emotions like that.)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I live in a town in north florida that has one of the highest poverty levels in the state. It is mostly republican. :facepalm: It became even more republican this last election because all the incest southern baptist fundie hicks would rather be republican than be associated with a party that would elect a "black muslim." I got to hear about it at work all the time from our lovely customer base. People are so racist here it's sickening sometimes.

Likewise, I have had to get forceful with people at work I have tried to help. Why I try to help thier stupid ***** I don't know. But they will want to do one thing which will be super expensive for them, while they complain about thier bill being too expensive, and I try to tell them that to get what they want they need to let me do xyz. "Whattaya mean I gotta blah blah and change blah blah and I'll lose blah blah. You dam people are always tryin da pull tricks and blah..."

-"No you're not going to lose blah blah, no you don't have to change blah blah, no there are no fees, no, no, no..."

Sometimes I do give up when they keep on hollering at me about something I can easily fix for them, and I let them go to thier lawyer over whatever it is that thier lawyer can do nothing about because it was thier fault in the first place and they had been given thier choices. Over something stupid and simple.

When you work with the public you develop a deep loathing for humanity. I still get little surprises, but just when I thought I had seen the depths of retardation, I meet a new idiot more shocking than the last.

I hear mules honking..LOL!!!

I dont know what industry you are in but for the most part when I worked with the public they seemed sort of helpless and yes paranoid..

I even sold shoes.."ladies shoes" and "childrens shoes".

The laidies OMG!!!They would try on 8 or 10 piars of shoes"Im not kidding you" and then say "well my feet are too swollen today to even be trying on shoes "

:sad4:

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Hmm, I do feel sort of delusional. Try asking me about the subject again in a couple days or so. If I have my emotional patterns down correctly, I'll probably be depressed and worried about how inferior I am and how I'll never find love. And then after that, I'll probably start developing theories on how people with Asperger's are destined to be the master race that rules over the rest of humanity. I think that's how the pattern goes... depression -> arrogance -> paranoia/anger -> repeat.

(Yes, this is normal, they're called mood swings. Although I'm not sure if most teenagers bother to map out their emotions like that.)

You are not that different than most honey.

Im not "aspergers" but I got angry with my son for asking me how long to heat up a bowl of soup in the microwave..

You are "aspergers" try being "peri-menopausal "

Probably not all that different.

I do try and try to look at the "bright side " though.

Do you ever see a bright side?

Love

Dallas

Humanistheart

Its not cheapening the word love.

Saying the truth as you see it isnt non loving.Not in my opinion..

If it cheapens to word for you then dont use it for your self .

LOVE

Dallas

My usage isn't the issue, it's yours :facepalm:

I see, so in your world insulting someone, justifying it by calling it 'ruth', demonstraights love. I can only hope you don't have children.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
How could someone be so stupid as to frame this as a Republican issue?

Funny, I would have expected you to be better than that...

The republicans are merely a list of examples. It is not purely a republican thing, although the best examples are usually republican simply because of the party's platform nowadays.

Mr Cheese

[/rant]

Americans are republicans because they are greedy.

Thank you;)

(there that wasn't hard...you really don't need a discussion for that)