• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the Gospels were written,Christianity was started

Riders

BTW just for the record, i do not agree it was written in the 70s. I have seen a lot of folks post that the true bible can not be dated and the wiki page I recited said it was written and rewritten so may times over and over.

It said that the original could not be found so some historians do say the bible can not be dated and that it was also written way after what we have been told.

But some historians argue that the bible was written way later.

Riders

AHA! I found it wiki page that says the new testament was not written until 100s to 200s ad AHA!

Riders

This video says the new testament was written between 70 and 100 ad some of it but that Jesus was crucified in 0 ad, 70 to 100 years earlier then when it was written which means 70 to 100 ad is way way way after the events took place in the bible. It also says its all copies of copies of copies of copies and translated from language to language and could not possibly be the original text it was meant to be AHA!

lukethethird

unknown member
That video was worth watching because it pertains to events in general, but tough considering the pill that has to be swallowed by Christians claiming that the story about the Son of God has historical merit. The gospel story is about God's Son sacrificing himself for the sins of mankind and people get bent out of shape if anyone doesn't believe that it's historically true. The one thing that is self evident in all of this is that the story is a work of Jewish theology and Greek mythology, not real history. There is no real point to any of this for those that want to believe Jesus is historical however because belief is a powerful thing.

Riders

That video was worth watching because it pertains to events in general, but tough considering the pill that has to be swallowed by Christians claiming that the story about the Son of God has historical merit. The gospel story is about God's Son sacrificing himself for the sins of mankind and people get bent out of shape if anyone doesn't believe that it's historically true. The one thing that is self evident in all of this is that the story is a work of Jewish theology and Greek mythology, not real history. There is no real point to any of this for those that want to believe Jesus is historical however because belief is a powerful thing.

I agree.

sealchan

This is fascinating. How could the church lie to us? No this is not just another Pagan Christ video.

Enjoying the video so far...

I don't know if it is fair to say that those who invented Christianity were not also sincere believers to an extent or that they very quickly produced sincere believers. In this view how does a Paul fit in after all? His writings seem to predate the gospel compositions. Maybe the videos will explain that...I'll keep watching.

lukethethird

unknown member
I wouldn't be certain about what we can know, if anything at all, about Jesus. We know the legend, we have the story, and we have whatever it was that the epistle writers were on about. I wouldn't put money on Jesus being historical or mythical, there just isn't enough information to know either way because all we have is religious texts, and they're left up to interpretation. We have nothing else to go on.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't be certain about what we can know, if anything at all, about Jesus. We know the legend, we have the story, and we have whatever it was that the epistle writers were on about. I wouldn't put money on Jesus being historical or mythical, there just isn't enough information to know either way because all we have is religious texts, and they're left up to interpretation. We have nothing else to go on.
We do know that Israel was occupied territory and that around the time of Jesus roads were lined with Jews being crucified. According to a documentary I saw they crucified around 30,000. I do not know why, but if I were a Jew living at the time its a question I would have asked "Why us, and have we done something wrong?" Significantly the gospels do seem to formulate an answer, and this seems like evidence Jesus is real. Each of the four argue that the Son must suffer for the good of the world and also learn obedience through suffering. Jesus in the gospels preaches peacefully living under Roman rule. I think that there is at least one Jesus, possibly more than one. Jesus is identified in the gospels as the Son of Man, a term attributed to the Jews by the prophets. Now thousands of years later we may not have Jesus birthday and address, but we know his way of life and answer to violence in the form of the Beattitudes. These I think are the strong written evidence of him rather than quotes from Josephus or Tacitus or other historians of antiquity, those and his other words.

lukethethird

unknown member
We do know that Israel was occupied territory and that around the time of Jesus roads were lined with Jews being crucified. According to a documentary I saw they crucified around 30,000. I do not know why, but if I were a Jew living at the time its a question I would have asked "Why us, and have we done something wrong?" Significantly the gospels do seem to formulate an answer, and this seems like evidence Jesus is real. Each of the four argue that the Son must suffer for the good of the world and also learn obedience through suffering. Jesus in the gospels preaches peacefully living under Roman rule. I think that there is at least one Jesus, possibly more than one. Jesus is identified in the gospels as the Son of Man, a term attributed to the Jews by the prophets. Now thousands of years later we may not have Jesus birthday and address, but we know his way of life and answer to violence in the form of the Beattitudes. These I think are the strong written evidence of him rather than quotes from Josephus or Tacitus or other historians of antiquity, those and his other words.

He might have been as real as can be, who knows? We can try to make sense of these religious texts but what can they tell us about actual history other than allowing for guesses, it's not like it's a science.