• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the chickens learned the need to sit on it's eggs ?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Can someone tell what apophenia, darkendless, atanu et al are fighting about and what each of their positions is? Cuz I'm completely lost.

apophenia

Dolphin Self-Recognition Mirrors Our Own. An article about dolphins' awareness about their own existence and identity.
Maybe we just need to do the same experiment on humans? LOL!

I'm familiar with this. To me it confirms what most people (certainly pet owners) already know - other animals also have self-awareness and some have brains which are capable of recognition of their own face.

But even this only illuminates a behavior which could conceivably be programmed into a digital device.

So although it says something about the cognitive behavior of the creature, it tells us nothing about the awareness itself. If I program a robot to compare one set of pixels with another and perform some action based on the result, it does not indicate that the robot is sentient - it indicates something about programming in an inanimate object.

Facial recognition is commonplace in department store surveillance cameras. It does not suggest to me that the cameras have a sense of self.

So these experiments, while valuable, still tell us nothing about the 'sense of presence' which is a fundamental aspect of what we generally call consciousness.

Of most interest to me is the inability of many people to recognise in themselves what is meant by 'presence' or 'being'. Also of interest to me is that those I now call 'scientagonists' (thanks Sir Doom) persist in accusing me of irrational belief in the soul when I refer to this mundane aspect of the human mind.I say mundane because it is just the normal state of affairs in every waking moment. Every day when you 'wake up', this is the experience which tells you that you are awake. Hardly a belief, let alone an irrational one.

Nevertheless, completely beyond the current purview of science.

apophenia

Can someone tell what apophenia, darkendless, atanu et al are fighting about and what each of their positions is? Cuz I'm completely lost.

It's about the hubris of 'scientagonists' (you'd have to read that section of the thread to get this word - Alceste's post was illuminating)), and their refusal to admit that science has no theory (and only one very vague hypothesis) to account for the 'sense of presence' as I have called it. The wordless "I am" which pervades our consciousness.

It was originally in response to the suggestion that current science tells us, via abiogenesis and evolution, all we need to know to understand what human consciousness is.

My position is that science may never fully answer how this self-apprehension of 'being' relates to physiology.

Atanu feels that hindu sruti answers this. I also disagree with that.

darkendless feels that science has nothing to even explore there, and that because I reference it as a reality not explained by science, I must be an irrational religionist.

I hope that clears that up for you :)

secret2

It's about the hubris of 'scientagonists' (you'd have to read that section of the thread to get this word - Alceste's post was illuminating)), and their refusal to admit that science has no theory (and only one very vague hypothesis) to account for the 'sense of presence' as I have called it. The wordless "I am" which pervades our consciousness.

It was originally in response to the suggestion that current science tells us, via abiogenesis and evolution, all we need to know to understand what human consciousness is.

My position is that science may never fully answer how this self-apprehension of 'being' relates to physiology.

Atanu feels that hindu sruti answers this. I also disagree with that.

darkendless feels that science has nothing to even explore there, and that because I reference it as a reality not explained by science, I must be an irrational religionist.

I hope that clears that up for you :)

I think John Searle has offered great insights in response to your theory: people jump onto the bandwagon and claim that human mind and consciousness are easily explained by the "computer model": brain being the hardware and consciousness being the software. While in fact "human can perform computational task" does not entail (nor is it entailed in) "human minds are computers". There has always been (unsuccessful) attempts to compare human mind to the contemporarily most advanced technology.

atanu

Premium Member
Atanu feels that hindu sruti answers this. I also disagree with that.=u :)

:D

Hindu sruti tells that the Self-Brahman is unknowable as an object but knowable by being it. "Whoever knows Brahman becomes Brahman".

(Sorry. This is diversion from the thread topic).

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
fantôme profane;3301284 said:
Finally a clear concise answer.:bow:

We finished with it and the puzzle have been solved,its the genotype,the one that instructed the chicken to sit on their eggs for 22 days have worked and passed to the offspring whereas the one that instructed them to sit for 10 days failed to have offsprings,so it is all about random mutations and natural selection,very easy to memorize.

Daemon Sophic

We finished with it and the puzzle have been solved,its the genotype,the one that instructed the chicken to sit on their eggs for 22 days have worked and passed to the offspring whereas the one that instructed them to sit for 10 days failed to have offsprings,so it is all about random mutations and natural selection,very easy to memorize.

:clap. See? Your brain can link dendrites to axons and make new memories/knowledge. :clap. :clap. Congrats!