• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the best possible future for the world might happen?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hayflick limit? Pshaw!
Clearly you're underestimating the future capabilities of medical science:

Not really, i did say as long as it holds, my concern is more for the ethics of human dna manipulation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you don’t mind telling me, what are some of your best wishes and intentions towards people in your life, towards all people everywhere, and towards the world around you; and what are some examples of how those come out in your actions?

The reason I’m asking is because I’m reaching for the best possibilities between you and me, here and now. One possibility I’m considering is that some kind of conversation with you could help me along in my path of progress. Another is that there might be some possible benefit for you in talking to me about what you’re learning to do, and hoping to do, for your highest and best interests

You might be suspicious of my motives and intentions. I think you know that I’ve seen enough of what Baha’is do sometimes in Internet discussions, to be able to sympathize very well with those suspicions. I’m hoping that in spite of that you will be willing to continue this conversation with me.

If there were a possibility that some day I might turn away from Abrahamic religion to a better path, can you think of any kind of conversation between us here and now, that might help me along in my path of progress?

Would you be willing to try talking to me about about some parts of what you’re learning to do, and hoping to do, for your highest and best interests, or for your best wishes for other people and for the world?

One very different way to look at 'a spiritual person' is one who lifts the spirits of others. So although many days it's difficult, to enter a store, a home, a temple, and have other people watch you, observe you, or even perhaps talk to you, and then go away from that little bit of life feeling better about themselves, well that pretty much sums it up. In faith, I just try to be an exemplar. Here, the faith community I belong to is an immigrant one, and history shows that immigrants often dilute their faith when moving, losing languages, ole traditions, and the like. So to counter that, I behave in a traditional manner, wearing traditional clothing, being cheerful, engaging with youth, being generally enthusiastic, but not 'serious' or cold.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
One very different way to look at 'a spiritual person' is one who lifts the spirits of others. So although many days it's difficult, to enter a store, a home, a temple, and have other people watch you, observe you, or even perhaps talk to you, and then go away from that little bit of life feeling better about themselves, well that pretty much sums it up. In faith, I just try to be an exemplar. Here, the faith community I belong to is an immigrant one, and history shows that immigrants often dilute their faith when moving, losing languages, ole traditions, and the like. So to counter that, I behave in a traditional manner, wearing traditional clothing, being cheerful, engaging with youth, being generally enthusiastic, but not 'serious' or cold.
Wow. I love that. Thanks. Thanks for doing it, and thanks for telling me about it.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I don't know how to tell you how happy that makes me, and how much it means to me. I wish I knew how to tell you. So much, so much in that for me ... like an oasis in the desert. You made my day, no, my week.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Vinayaka I didn't know what I was doing, or hoping for, in this thread, I was following some kind of intuition, I didn't know where, or why, or how to go about it. Stumbling around, and feeling more and more like a fool, and even a few dark feelings and thoughts. That post of yours lifted me out of all that, and washed it all away.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Vinayaka I didn't know what I was doing, or hoping for, in this thread, I was following some kind of intuition, I didn't know where, or why, or how to go about it. Stumbling around, and feeling more and more like a fool, and even a few dark feelings and thoughts. That post of yours lifted me out of all that, and washed it all away.

We all feel like fools some days. I used to beat myself up over things I'd done, and still do at times. Not healthy. In a private discussion with my Guru, his advice was to consider the frequency of it. So if the frequency is going down, it means you're progressing, I guess.

So consistency of practice helps.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you see anything else that needs to happen, besides advancements in science and technology, for the best future for the world? If so, do you see anything for you to do, to help with that?

Do you have any ideas about what anyone who wants to can do, to help with progress in reducing pollution, and depletion of natural resources?

Are you faced with any moral or ethical issues in your work, or insufficiencies in your knowledge and skills? If so, what are they, and what are you doing and hoping to do about them?
Economic structure and political thoughts would need to change for sure. I am happy to see children beginning to actively agitate for their future. We adults should support and encourage them.
Kids striking against climate change: 'We're fighting for our lives'

Also taking part in ecological conservation efforts will help. Something like Sierra club foundation is good.
The Foundation for a Healthy Planet | The Sierra Club Foundation

If you have fair amount of money, investing in clean energy and climate solution startups would also be good. This could be a part of responsible investing culture that would be needed to enhance the ethical standards of businesses.

These Funds Aim to Power Their Returns With Clean Energy

Taking public transport when possible. Voting for candidates who have sustainability and ethical capitalism a priority will also help.

So many things that one can do!

Reactions: Jim

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
if there can be a chance of the afterlife..why not take it! Isn’t that worth something to live for? Doesn’t one think he owes to kids or loved ones to look forward to? And not only in this world will be the last time they’ll see one again..I understand it’s a big risk because there is no proof of afterlife but I’m willing to take my chances.
I like to always look behind in my footsteps and make sure there is no regrets. If worse case scenario if I didn’t believe in afterlife then my time came to an end, and then all of a sudden I’m standing at some gate being judge upon how I lived..I think I will not get a second chance..or the other option will be nothing at all after death..one can measure what is the BEST possible future he’s willing to choose.
It is true that the afterlife is the best possible future and we choose our eternal destination according to our faith in God and our actions in this life. God does not "send" anyone anywhere; we send ourselves by the choices we make. The choices we make in this world will determine our eternal destination. There won't be any second chances, this world was given to us as a way to become our true self.

I do not think it is selfish to be thinking about our eternal destination as long as we are "living the life" all the great Messengers of God taught us to live. Neither Jesus nor Baha'u'llah taught us to live for this world, both taught that the real life is the life to come. Just because we cannot see the spiritual world does not mean it does not exist. There is no proof, but there is evidence.

I think people in general, including religious believers, make the mistake of living for this world alone and thereby losing sight of the entire purpose of this life, which is to prepare for the life to come. That preparation is improving our character and learning to love God and other people, and in so doing we make this world a better place for everyone.

That Baha'i Faith stresses making this world a better place, and there is nothing wrong with that because we have to live in this world for a numbered few years and our progeny will be living here into the future. We should think of them and try to improve the world but we should not lose our focus and start thinking this is the main act of the play, as it is just a temporary abode.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Everything can always be done better, so yes, whatever I do, I want to improve it as much as possible. And of course that being surrounded by people who are a good influence on me helps a lot. The greatest thing about being a part of a group is precisely the mutual encouragement we give each other. Sometimes I don't think I could do it if I didn't have help.
I keep my life very private so you won't find my activities online, but if you're interested in knowing more about what Jehovah's Witnesses do and teach there is plenty of information on our website jw.org; you can find some of us on the street regularly, or if you have any specific questions you can PM me and I'll answer to the best of my abilities.
I'd like to tell you more about what I've thought of doing in this thread, and about my religious views and interests. I'm not sure that any of that would interest you, but I'm not sure it wouldn't. I feel intuitively that there might be wonderful possibilities in Internet discussions and other online communities, for all of us to learn from each other, and encourage and support each other, in whatever we're doing for our highest and best interests, and for our best hopes and wishes for other people, for society, and for the world of nature. I think that the more we do that across the widest ideological divides, the better it will be for all of our best interests, hopes and wishes. I've always thought that, for as long as I've been in Internet discussions, almost twenty years. After some discussion in this thread, those hopes and wishes for Internet discussions burst into flame inside me, and I wanted to try to do something with that, here and now. What I thought of doing was to try to find some way for each person to help me learn something, and some way for each person to get some encouragement and support from me, for the good that they're trying to do. I actually have learned some wonderful things from it that filled me with joy, including something that I saw at least three people pointing out to me. Also, one or more people might have got some encouragement from this discussion, as I was hoping for.

Now I think that to do any more, I would need to spend many hours reading each person's posts in other threads, thinking about them and responding to them. With my priorities, this is not the place for me to be doing that. The places for me to be doing that now are with my children and their children, and with some other people in my life, all around the world.

I'd like you to know some things about my religious views and interests. I'm following a prophet and some scriptures that have been rejected by all the Christian churches, and I have disagreements with all of them including Jehovah's Witnesses, but I don't see any of my disagreements with them as disagreements with the Bible, with Jesus, or with God. Two Jehovah's Witnesses tried to convince me that Jesus used the JHVH name for God, and taught His followers to do so, but I don't believe that. I think that the name He taught people to use for God was "Father." I think that the new heaven and the new earth will be on the same physical Earth that we live on now; that they will be created here by our heavenly Father; and that He is letting us help Him with that, just like He lets us help with everything He does, not because He needs our help, but as part of learning to know Him and to love Him. In Biblical terms I think that the best thing that can happen to anyone, and what the world needs most of all, to stop the violence, right the wrongs and repair the damage, is to learn to follow Jesus. I think that the Bible can be used for that purpose, but that it is rarely if ever actually used for that purpose, certainly not by the decision makers and policy makers of any of the Christian churches.

I heard Christ knocking, and opened the door and let Him in, in my college years, and I still see my life as Christ-centered. One of my theme songs for most of my life has been "The Little Drummer Boy." I have no gift to bring, that's fit to give that king, and that grieves me to tears, but I see His mother nodding at my offer to play my stupid little toy drum for Him, and sometimes I think I see Him smiling at me and my pitiful drumming. That smile now and then is what I live for, what my heart aches for. One of the beats I play my drum is continually trying to improve my personality and the way I live my life, in ways that might help make the world better for people around me, and for all people everywhere, now and in the future (fruits of the spirit). Another beat I play on my drum is trying to learn to be a better friend to more people. Another beat I play on my drum is trying to help with the growth and spread of healthier, happier and more loving communities, all around the world, and not now but maybe some day, on the Internet. I see some of that as a response to what the Bible says about the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, the poor, and the orphan,

What Does the Bible Say About Widows Orphans And Aliens?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
What you said about what you do, and you telling me about it, and the context in which it happened, all had a lot of deep, precious meaning for me; dramatically increased my affection and admiration for you; and wiped away all of the feelings of alienation that were lingering from some of our previous encounters.

I'd like to tell you more about what I've thought of doing in this thread, and about my religious views and interests. A lot of this is copied and pasted from what I said to Vee, but that part is what I'd like you to know too. I feel intuitively that there might be wonderful possibilities in Internet discussions and other online communities, for all of us to learn from each other, and encourage and support each other, in whatever we're doing for our highest and best interests, and for our best hopes and wishes for other people, for society, and for the world of nature. I think that the more we do that across the widest ideological divides, the better it will be for all of our best interests, hopes and wishes. I've always thought that, for as long as I've been in Internet discussions, almost twenty years. After some discussion in this thread, those hopes and wishes for Internet discussions burst into flame inside me, and I wanted to try to do something with that, here and now. What I thought of doing was to try to find some way for each person to help me learn something, and some way for each person to get some encouragement and support from me, for the good that they're trying to do. I actually have learned some wonderful things from it that filled me with joy, including something that I saw at least three people pointing out to me. Also, one or more people might have got some encouragement from this discussion, as I was hoping for.

Now I think that to do any more, I would need to spend many hours reading each person's posts in other threads, thinking about them and responding to them. With my priorities, this is not the place for me to be doing that. The places for me to be doing that now are with my children and their children, and with some other people in my life, all around the world.

I'd like you to know some more things about my religious views and interests. I include some Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Baha'i prophets among my spiritual teachers, along with Confucius and some others. I've chosen Baha'u'llah as my master teacher. I've never met Baha'u'llah in person, and he hasn't said or written anything since 1892, 127 years ago. I'm a member of a religion that has all the defects of any Abrahamic religion, and I'm doing everything I can to serve the interests of its supreme council. It looks to me like you see some or all of that as proof of some kind of mental, emotional and/or moral defect. I think I am defective in all those ways, so I'm not sure why that bothers me, but it does. Maybe because I think that's wrong, that it gets in the way of communication and understanding between us; learning from each other; and encouraging and supporting each other where we are.

I think of myself as an apprentice to Baha'u'llah, watching him work and listening to what he says about it, and performing tasks that I imagine him assigning to me for my progress along my path. Part of that for me is continually trying to improve my personality and the way I live my life, in ways that might help make the world better for people around me, and for all people everywhere, now and in the future. Part of that is learning to do what you've been doing, lifting the spirits of others, in everything I say and do, everywhere all the time. I have a very good model for that: my wife! Another part of learning from Baha'u'llah for me is trying to learn to be a better friend to more people. Another way of learning from Baha'u'llah for me is trying to help with the growth and spread of healthier, happier and more loving communities, all around the world, and not now but maybe some day, on the Internet. Another part of learning from Baha'u'llah for me has been trying to be a friend to people that I've seen being marginalized and stigmatized by their communities or by society in general, especially some that I've seen being marginalized and stigmatized in the Baha'i community, or more generally who I think are facing a much more hostile social environment in the community than I am.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I was on fire with the idea that there might be ways, in the briefest encounters with people on the Internet across the widest divides, for them to help me learn something, and to get some encouragement from me for whatever good they're trying to do or whatever path or journey they're on.

I'm thinking now of something I've already thought of before, but I keep forgetting: Just ask some thoughtful and friendly questions.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I have yet to fully come to grips with the “tricky” part: “knowing that you have what you ask for”. I’m calling that faith.
I’ve seen that happening for me a lot in the past week, in these forums. It’s been a magical mystery tour, or like my house being picked up by a tornado and carried to the land of Oz.