• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the best possible future for the world might happen?

sealchan

What are the best possibilities you can see for the future of the world and all its people; how do you think they might happen; and what are you learning to do, that might help?

I think that Carl Sagan was such a great role model...we have to look ahead with our science, accept the challenge of debate, set aside choosing paths that are self-defeating (like believing literally in the inescapable corruption of humanity and the second coming), and continue to build a world where different voices all can safely jostle together and give us a world united in its differences and open to creatively exploring different paths.

I am working to promote this by following a path I believe that God wants me to follow...discrediting the literalistic attitude of my faith and promoting a more personal, experiential and loving Christian faith unafraid of science and willing to accept that the story in the Bible is not literally the facts of what has actually happened in God's creation.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Amanaki Is there anything you'd like to learn to do better, to help others or to cultivate dhamma? Do you have people to talk to about any of that, to get ideas from each other, and to encourage and support each other? Do you every help people online, to learn to cultivate dhamma? Is there any place online where I can see you doing that?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think that Carl Sagan was such a great role model...we have to look ahead with our science, accept the challenge of debate, set aside choosing paths that are self-defeating (like believing literally in the inescapable corruption of humanity and the second coming), and continue to build a world where different voices all can safely jostle together and give us a world united in its differences and open to creatively exploring different paths.

I am working to promote this by following a path I believe that God wants me to follow...discrediting the literalistic attitude of my faith and promoting a more personal, experiential and loving Christian faith unafraid of science and willing to accept that the story in the Bible is not literally the facts of what has actually happened in God's creation.
Is there anything that you'd like to learn to do better, in all of that? Do you have people to talk to about all that, to get ideas from each other, and to encourage and support each other?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Amanaki Is there anything you'd like to learn to do better, to help others or to cultivate dhamma? Do you have people to talk to about any of that, to get ideas from each other, and to encourage and support each other? Do you every help people online, to learn to cultivate dhamma? Is there any place online where I can see you doing that?
I have held a few dhamma talks in the local community, but to try to teach dhamma in a forum like this is a bit more difficult because there are many different beliefs here, so often instead of a dhamma talk it become a discussion :) And ofcourse that is good too.
I talk with the monks in the local monastary i go to when need of guidance. Except for the monks there are very few people who understand the things i talk about, but ofcourse when i doing dhamma talks i will make sure the level of wisdom is at a level people do understand, and i choose topics that is interesting for lay buddhists.

I thinking of making a website or blog but i will need some time to do it well.

sealchan

Is there anything that you'd like to learn to do better, in all of that? Do you have people to talk to about all that, to get ideas from each other, and to encourage and support each other?

My participation in this forum is the primary means I have to pursue this effort.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Vee @Amanaki @PureX @sealchan I'm not sure what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Now I'm thinking that with each of you, I would like to try learning more about what you're doing, to see what I can learn from it, and if there's any way I can encourage and support you in it, even if it's only to have one more person to talk to about it. I'm not sure that these forums would be a good place for that. If not, do you know any place online where we could do that, like on Facebook or some other social network for example?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I have held a few dhamma talks in the local community, but to try to teach dhamma in a forum like this is a bit more difficult because there are many different beliefs here, so often instead of a dhamma talk it become a discussion :) And ofcourse that is good too.
I talk with the monks in the local monastary i go to when need of guidance. Except for the monks there are very few people who understand the things i talk about, but ofcourse when i doing dhamma talks i will make sure the level of wisdom is at a level people do understand, and i choose topics that is interesting for lay buddhists.

I thinking of making a website or blog but i will need some time to do it well.
My time online is very limited, and it might not be nearly enough to do what I would like to do, which would be to see what I can learn from you, and to learn to be someone you can talk to about what you're doing to help others, to cultivate dhamma, and to improve how you're doing all that if you want to. Can we make a start in trying to do that, and see what happens? I agree that it might be difficult in this forums. Do you know of any better place online to do it? If not, can we try it here, if we can find a forum where it would be allowed?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My time online is very limited, and it might not be nearly enough to do what I would like to do, which would be to see what I can learn from you, and to learn to be someone you can talk to about what you're doing to help others, to cultivate dhamma, and to improve how you're doing all that if you want to. Can we make a start in trying to do that, and see what happens? I agree that it might be difficult in this forums. Do you know of any better place online to do it? If not, can we try it here, if we can find a forum where it would be allowed?
I am not on sosial media so for me the best is to use this site for now :) But you made me realise that i will need a blog and a website to get more dhamma out to the world, so i started to create both today :)
I am up for talks both in the forum and in PM it is always good to get others view of difficult topics in spiritulity

PureX

Veteran Member
@Vee @Amanaki @PureX @sealchan I'm not sure what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Now I'm thinking that with each of you, I would like to try learning more about what you're doing, to see what I can learn from it, and if there's any way I can encourage and support you in it, even if it's only to have one more person to talk to about it. I'm not sure that these forums would be a good place for that. If not, do you know any place online where we could do that, like on Facebook or some other social network for example?
You are assuming that we are 'doing something' beyond just being who we are. I am not.

I have a close friend who is committed to trying to change our community for the better. She has run for public office three times, at significant cost in money, time, and energy, and has lost each time. She lost because the people in this community, like in every other, don't vote for a candidate based on the well-being of the community, but only vote on the basis of their own personal agendas. If they are in construction, for example, they vote for any candidate that seeks to build something, no matter how useless, over-priced, or unnecessary it is. If they are black, they vote for the black candidate no matter how stupid or foolish or corrupt he is. If they are Italian they vote for the Italian candidate. And so on. And as a result, nothing around here ever changes, or gets better, because that's how people here have always voted, and they get what they vote for.

I support her attempts as best I can, but I think she has finally given up. And her magnificent spirit has been significantly damaged by all of this. I have no idea what to say to her, because as a taoist, I would never have run for public office. (She is a Christian who believes in making the world a better place.) I understood that she was trying to 'buck human nature' and would inevitably fail, and end up tired and exhausted. And yet I also understood that this is her tao; the way of her being, to try. And to keep trying.So I will wait until she tries again, and support her again, as she fails again.

The tao is not mine to control, or to fix, or to change. And neither is anyone else. I belong to it, and it will do with me as it does, just as my community and society will. I act as I am able, within the bounds of my path. That is my way. And in the end my friend and I will both be dead and forgotten. And the world will go on without us. As it should do.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
Can you tell me more about keeping eyes and ears open? Do you see any more for you to do, besides that, for the kingdom to com and God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven?

We have a tendency to stick with precedent, to not want to leave home. Gotta get out there, learn new stuff, think for ourselves based on personal observation. Guides are just that, guides. Often we find that what we’ve been told is true, sometimes not.

God’s will is done. His kingdom is come, just needs to be recognized.

I feel that the lord’s prayer states some facts needed to be understood in order to pray effectively. The “knowing that you have what you ask for” follow up is the tricky part, and hard.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
You are assuming that we are 'doing something' beyond just being who we are. I am not.
Sorry for that mistake.
I keep hoping that eventually we will all just get sick and tired of killing ourselves and each other in this giant Darwinist competition we think we must be part of, and we'll decide to cooperate for the good of everyone.
Maybe I took "hoping" too literally. I took it to mean that you aren't sure that it will never happen. Did I take it wrong? Are you sure that it will never happen?
But sadly, we humans don't seem to live long enough, or teach our children well enough, for this lesson to be fully learned and held on to. Every time we try it, things get much better for us, but then we forget the lesson and fall back into our blind selfishness, and those gains are all lost, again,
If you did mean "I keep hoping" in the way that I thought, if you aren't sure that it will never happen, what part of that are you not sure of? Are you not sure that we will never live longer? Are you not sure that we will never teach our children well enough? Are you not sure that we will always forget the lesson and fall back into that blind selfishness? Are you not sure that you know everything there is to know about what keeps the lesson from being learned and held on to?
I support her attempts as best I can ... So I will wait until she tries again, and support her again, as she fails again. ... I act as I am able, within the bounds of my path.
I'm not sure this will mean anything to you, coming from a stranger, but I'm not sure it won't. I'm glad for that. I'm glad for you supporting her. The thought of that puts a happy smile on my face.

Vee

Premium Member
Is there any part of that, that you'd like to learn to do better? Do you have friends that you talk to about that, to get ideas from each other, and encourage and support each other in that? Do you ever do any of that online? Is there any place I can go online, to see you doing that?

Everything can always be done better, so yes, whatever I do, I want to improve it as much as possible. And of course that being surrounded by people who are a good influence on me helps a lot. The greatest thing about being a part of a group is precisely the mutual encouragement we give each other. Sometimes I don't think I could do it if I didn't have help.
I keep my life very private so you won't find my activities online, but if you're interested in knowing more about what Jehovah's Witnesses do and teach there is plenty of information on our website jw.org; you can find some of us on the street regularly, or if you have any specific questions you can PM me and I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Okay, that intrigues me. Is there anything you can do, that you're willing to do, to help me recognize that?

Oh Oh…

Well… I’m a mental universe guy, based on quantum stuff I’ve read and my interpretation of “Our father who art in heaven” . I feel that says the source or our being (father) is mental (in heaven). Also, if the universe (including us) is mental, it would seem to be a now universe and instantaneous. So… the father would seem to be creating the now, now. “Thy will be done”. What is very interesting to me is that even though God is the power, we can influence our present condition through prayer. What prayer is and how we do it, is another story. I feel that we pray constantly, although we may not know it or identify the process. I have yet to fully come to grips with the “tricky” part: “knowing that you have what you ask for”. I’m calling that faith.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Everything can always be done better, so yes, whatever I do, I want to improve it as much as possible. And of course that being surrounded by people who are a good influence on me helps a lot. The greatest thing about being a part of a group is precisely the mutual encouragement we give each other. Sometimes I don't think I could do it if I didn't have help.
I keep my life very private so you won't find my activities online, but if you're interested in knowing more about what Jehovah's Witnesses do and teach there is plenty of information on our website jw.org; you can find some of us on the street regularly, or if you have any specific questions you can PM me and I'll answer to the best of my abilities.
It was just an idea that came to me, reading and thinking about all the posts in this thread, and trying to remember what I was thinking when I started it, that I would like to try to learn something from each person, and to learn more about the good they're trying to do, and for it to do them some good to talk to me about it. I'm not sure that's even possible between me and any of you, in these circumstances, but I'm not sure it isn't, so I decided to put it on the table to see what you think about it.

What about ... are there things you could tell me that aren't too personal, about what you're learning to do and hoping to do, in the path of God? For whatever I it might be worth, in biblical terms, I think that the best thing that can happen to anyone, and what the world needs most of all, is learning to follow Jesus. I'm not claiming to be a Christian, but that is how I think of Jesus, and I'm comfortable with using the bible as common ground.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Better education through the creative means of teaching "Introspection".
Do you see anything for you to do, to help with that?
Sure. It requires patience at this point. I'm gone eleven hours a work day, so free time is an issue. I try to help when I can and wherever I can.
I have a better idea now of what I would like to do. I'd like to try to learn something from you, and for it to do you some good to talk to me about what you're learning to do, and hoping to do, to help improve education.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Well… I’m a mental universe guy, based on quantum stuff I’ve read and my interpretation of “Our father who art in heaven” . I feel that says the source or our being (father) is mental (in heaven). Also, if the universe (including us) is mental, it would seem to be a now universe and instantaneous. So… the father would seem to be creating the now, now. “Thy will be done”. What is very interesting to me is that even though God is the power, we can influence our present condition through prayer. What prayer is and how we do it, is another story. I feel that we pray constantly, although we may not know it or identify the process. I have yet to fully come to grips with the “tricky” part: “knowing that you have what you ask for”. I’m calling that faith.
Okay, I'll think about that. I have a better idea now of what I'd like to do. I'd like to try to learn something with your help, that you would most like people to learn, and I'd like for it to do you some good to talk to me about what you're learning to do, and hoping to do, for your highest purposes.

Last edited: