• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How strongly do you believe what you believe?

How strongly do you believe in your core beliefs?

• There is no way I am wrong-100%

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I may be wrong, but I have at least as much confidence as that the sun will rise tomorrow-99.9999%

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I may be wrong, but I strongly doubt it---99%

• I may be wrong, but I doubt it--90%

• There is a good chance I am wrong, but I am still convinced--75%

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • It's an even split---50%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Given all the choices, it is quite possible I am wrong--30%

• I would be surprised if I am actually right--10%

• I don't know why I say I believe this since I am almost certianly wrong--1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other--please explain

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, we all have core beliefs that we hold to at least to some extent.

How strongly do you think you are right? What gives you the level of confidence you have?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As far as core beliefs go, I have to allow for modifications based on the expansion of understanding, and the "magic" key is to embrace uncertainty, as that helps to verify what I believe (or suspect) - at least to my general satisfaction. In short, if you keep an open mind that you are not seeing the whole picture you reserve the right to improve your beliefs in subtle ways in light of new data.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
As a pragmatist and agnostic, given my various "core beliefs," I'd say I'm doing well if I hit half right and half wrong...but there's still much I think I can never be certain of, never KNOW and be able to demonstrate that I'm right or wrong...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I may be wrong, but I strongly doubt it---99% I say that only because I can't prove what I believe is true, right, or correct relative to anything or anyone else, but it is for me. I just feel it in my gut, heart and soul.

Liu

Depends on which parts of my beliefs...
Since I base my absolute core beliefs on what seems like logic to me, 99% would fit. Who knows whether logic even applies to metaphysics, so there is that.
While the rest of my assumptions is also derived from logic mainly, there are also a few leaps of faith regarding things I can't know, so they are more in the 50% realm or lower.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Other I am of fairly strong opinion of my beliefs, but I am always looking to challenge them and if proven wrong adapt them easily. My strongest belief is that a belief is only good if it can be challenged.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Before I opened the thread I was wondering if we were supposed to measure the strength of our beliefs in torc, psi or degrees, but then I saw the poll and realized it's in percentages.

David T

Premium Member
I strongly believe there is always a bathroom at McDonald's. I do not believe it's always available, I am agnostic whether it will be clean or not.. Strong evidence points to it not being clean but I keep an open mind that.

108931581.jpg

Attachments

• 108931581.jpg
    108931581.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
I don't know what to think. *giggles*

Hehe. I better define my first post before it gets taken as a joke: I did give it a humorous spin but it is essentially serious.

I am certain of my uncertainty. And that is the only "truth" I allow myself. :)

I am close to the teachings of Buddhism. But I don't really "believe" in it. I consider them when they are relevant to a situation, which is most times, but I have difficulty defining my level of trust in their absolute truth value: Or if they're even supposed to have any.

I find even it subjective. I don't know how to answer the poll as a result. :D

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good question! I am 100% certain I want to be right, but I would be surprised if I am actually right which is ten percent. Subtracted, that means ninety percent. Right? But the ninety percent choice does not fit me. I don't doubt. Believing isn't believing if doubt is present. Right?

I don't have doubt or confidence. Should I vote number one?

LOL

OK! I got it. Seventy-five percent but I have to change good to bad.

There is a good bad chance I am wrong, but I am still convinced--75%

By the way, chance is spelled wrong in the poll

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Whoever said 99.9999% needs to recant. That's equal to 100%, and they just don't want to admit it. I'm 90% certain of that.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Good question! I am 100% certain I want to be right, but I would be surprised if I am actually right which is ten percent. Subtracted, that means ninety percent. Right? But the ninety percent choice does not fit me. I don't doubt. Believing isn't believing if doubt is present. Right?

I don't have doubt or confidence. Should I vote number one?

LOL

OK! I got it. Seventy-five percent but I have to change good to bad.

There is a good bad chance I am wrong, but I am still convinced--75%

By the way, chance is spelled wrong in the poll

Fixed.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I may be wrong, but I have at least as much confidence as that the sun will rise tomorrow-99.9999%

I am apparently the most braggadocios one so far. It was just that 99% felt too low. It is hard to judge the number of 9's though.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Although I said 99%, it was just right 'for me'. Other people are welcome to differ. Belief is diverse, and I respect that.