• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How St. Augustine Invented Sex

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry. After about 500 words, the author still hadn't gotten to how Augustine invented sex or what was meant by that phrase, so I quit reading. But I can share a few of his ideas on women:

"Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact, be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men." - St. Augustine

"I fail to see what use woman can be to man, if one excludes the function of bearing children." - Saint Augustine

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The headline was indeed misleading but the document itself seemed thorough and accurate. One thing was left out - a famous prayer "Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet."

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

It was an interesting enough read. It strikes me that the interpretation of several key figures throughout Christian history has had an immense impact on the direction of Christianity. This is particularly true of it's formative years.

Paul, Constantine and Augustine stand out in particular. Their impact on Christianity seems more tangible than that of Jesus.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
St. Augustine isn't the authority on the subject is my humble opinion.

Nonetheless he has had a huge impact on Christian attitudes towards various subjects (like sex, nudity, women, etc.)
In fact, he and Paul have been more influential than Jesus himself when it comes to contemporary Christianity.

DavidFirth

Nonetheless he has had a huge impact on Christian attitudes towards various subjects (like sex, nudity, women, etc.)
In fact, he and Paul have been more influential than Jesus himself when it comes to contemporary Christianity.

That's a matter of opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Augustine was a neurotic and a sex addict who hated women and blamed them for his lack of self-control. His relationship with his mother appears borderline incestuous, at least in this article. It sounds like they had an orgasm together!

Such sexually screwed up people are a dime a dozen among fervent religious renunciates. Sadly, they have far more influence than they deserve and millions of people down through the generations have had to suffer for it. They needed serious therapy, instead they projected their own mental diseases and bigotries onto their theology and we we're supposed to view them as "holy"! The whole thing is sick.

DavidFirth

It really isn't, considering how easily and routinely it can be observed and experienced.

Really? I haven't observed or experienced anything mentioned in the post I quoted. Paul only taught what Christ taught Him and Augustine hasn't influenced me very much at all.