• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Speciation Happens (yes it does)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are talking about advances in technology, what has that got to do with evolution? I have no issues with technology except perhaps that I am suspicious of the radiation levels we are all exposed to with our mobile devices.

You act as if we are anti-science...I assure you that we appreciate the advances of many branches of science as much as the next person. What we question are the unproven theories that masquerade as fact....the theories that place human intellect and accomplishment above that of the Creator.

You only object to the science that contradicts what you believe by faith, and for that reason alone. You could and would make the exact same arguments about any other science that did the same - "No evidence," "All supposition," etc.. You could do that with quantum theory, or the germ theory of disease: "I've reviewed the science and it is weak. There's no evidence, it's all supposition."

What would stop you from doing that to protect your faith from those sciences if they also challenged your beliefs?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Have a miscarriage" or "give birth prematurely" mean the same thing if you read the verse in context.

It depends upon how far along the gestation is as to how viable the unborn child may be. With no way to keep a premature baby alive, the death of this child warranted the death penalty for the ones who caused its demise. This proves that an unborn child is a living human being in God's eyes, whose life was precious enough to be compensated for.....a life for life.

Is that what you saw in those words? Maybe you should read them again :

Exodus 21:22-25 - “If people are fighting with each other and happen to hurt a pregnant woman so badly that her unborn child dies, then, even if no other harm follows, he must be fined. He must pay the amount set by the woman’s husband and confirmed by judges. But if any harm follows, then you are to give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound and bruise for bruise."

It's pretty clear that the death of the fetus is not considered harm. It only warrants a fine for property damage, and it's paid to the woman's husband. I'm sure that the loss of a goat would have been handled similarly.

The life-for-life stuff only applies when there is harm, which, since that doesn't include the death of the fetus, can only refer to the woman or fighters. There's no death penalty for inducing a miscarriage.

Why? Because according to the scriptures, life begins with breath. Life is synonymous with breath.

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." - Gen 2:7

Adam wasn't alive until he breathed. The form of Adam became a living being (nefesh hayah, or “a living breath”) when God blew into its nostrils and it started to breathe.

The relationship of life to breath is made clearer with the relationship between the words spirit, inspiration, expiration, and respiration.

How do we account for our widely disparate understandings of what the Bible says on this matter? A guy on another thread was livid that I suggested that an unbeliever had a more objective view of the Bible than a believer since the unbeliever doesn't need to correct it or rationalize about what its words mean. I'm guessing that you don't like the idea that the Bible might consider a fetus non-living property, the death of which elicits only a fine, so you just won't see that that is what it says.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If there is nothing to point to, then it is not and cannot be scientific. If there is no way to measure it, it is immediately disqualified as science. If you have to accept on faith, then you are not skeptical enough to really find out how the universe works.

O, there is lots to point to, but viewed through your lens, if it can't be explained within the parameters of "science" then it doesn't count.

I could point to the science of biomimetics and ask why scientists want to copy the ingenious things they see in "nature" (mostly for commercial applications) and use their own intelligence to duplicate them whilst assuming that the original had no designer. If it takes intelligent minds to copy those things, why is it assumed that the original is just a fortunate accident?

Well, the actual fossils. The dates for the strata they are from. The genetic studies showing connections between the proteins in different species. The actual scientific studies and papers that you can get in any research library.

What is published in the science journals is carefully vetted to make sure nothing disagrees with what science proffers as its truth. Peer review is a joke. The fox is guarding the hen house.

I think a big part of your problem here

A big part of my problem is that you think I have a problem.
171.gif

I believe it is evolutionists who have a problem.

you have mostly read popular accounts rather than actual research papers. And, I'm sorry, but the popular accounts are uniformly poor. This is a common problem in science because the journalists tend not to understand what is being said, so when they write articles, they get a lot of the details wrong. They also like to use the 'artists conceptions' because the actual fossils require more training to understand.

So I guess all that stuff on NASA's website is uniformly poor then?

Since it is the scientists who have explained things to the journalists, perhaps it is the scientists who are at fault? Or is it simply that the Emperor is naked and only think his garments are magnificent?

When I go to the doctor and he suggests that a surgical procedure is the best way to go about dealing with my problem, he gets a model or draws a diagram to show me what he is going to do. He needs no complicated medical details or terminology to explain the procedure.....if he spoke in those terms it would only confuse me. I see no difference with evolution. If you can't explain it simply, without the jargon, then I am suspicious of the baseline.

On the contrary, *you* have a bias and see what you want to see.

But you don't?
4fvgdaq_th.gif
Good grief. Who gave you the high ground here? Don't tell me, let me guess......?

Scientists also have their individual biases, but then debates and testing happen to determine who was actually correct. Unlike in religion, science doesn't start with the conclusion.

O, but they do. The interpretation of their evidence is skewed towards their theory in every case. We can see the same evidence and reach an entirely different conclusion based on our bias. Just because it doesn't fit in with what you want to believe, doesn't automatically make you right and me, wrong. We each have a "belief", but you cannot accept that. You are not in a better position than me, you have just been convinced that you are by your own 'deities'. How are we different?

These artists conceptions are useful for communicating to the public, but actual scientists don't give such pictures much weight.

But I don't hear scientists protesting about them...do you? They are useful for brainwashing children and the uneducated to accept science's viewpoint because the science gods are more intellectually superior to any Creator.....right?
worship.gif

But by using comparative anatomy, it *is* possible to show they are related. Now, the markers on the bones showing such relations aren't going to be in the pictures like the one you have. But they are on the fossils and a great deal of debate exists in the research literature concerning what each bump on the bones means and how certain the conclusions are.

Each bump on the bones is an 'assumption' based on what they already expect to find. Since when does similarity mean relationship? An ear bone does not prove that a land animal became a whale.
mornincoffee.gif

And if you want to believe that an Intelligent Designer directed the evolution we see, that is no problem whatsoever.

The Intelligent Designer programmed all living things to adapt to a change of environment......end of story. There is not a single shred of evidence that macro-evolution is even possible using adaptation as a basis for the 'assumptions'.....because that is what they are....assumptions, based on nothing but the power of suggestion. "Could have"...."might have"....."leads us to the conclusion" is NOT the language of fact...it is the language of supposition based on pre-conceived notions.

But, to think that species are wiped out and replaced wholesale by similar species consistently throughout the fossil record is being a bit silly. Why not simply accept that species can change over time gaining new characteristics?

Since the intervening periods of many millions of years have yielded no fossils to demonstrate that a slow rate of evolution ever took place, you really can't say with any certainty what caused that situation to arise. It could have another explanation altogether. Guesswork is not based on anything solid. Your circumstantial evidence is actually very flimsy, but its made to appear to be convincing.....just good marketing really.

A master craftsman would not have designed some of the jury-rigged constructs seen in the real world. But mutation and natural selection would.

Examples please.

When the weight of the evidence points to a single direction, it is silly to say the truth is in the opposite direction.

The evidence weighs very little when you really examine it minus the diagrams and suggestions. The truth viewed through our lens, points us in an opposite direction. Guess we will just have to wait and see....won't we? :D Our road leads somewhere....where does your road lead?

on Europa, there the tidal forces for its orbit with Jupiter provide the necessary energy and the current evidence *suggests* that there is extensive liquid water there.

What would science be without "suggestions"? :shrug: I can suggest a lot of things too but they would hold no weight with those who adhere to the ones that science makes. We can all choose what we want to believe.

But the sun isn't the only star with planets. Far from it. And each star has a 'Goldilocks zone' that allows for liquid water. We have even found planets in those zones around other stars. Now, at this time we do not know if those planets do, in fact, have liquid water (it is rather difficult to determine this at such distances), but given the fact that water is common in the universe, it is quite likely. And yes, that increases the possibility that life exists there. Nobody knows whether that is the case. But the chances have gone up considerably.

Does it also increase the possibility that other planets are inhabited by beings like ourselves who are arguing over which bits of the planet's crust they own? Like fleas arguing over which part of the dog is theirs? Or perhaps they have even more destructive weapons than we do and are looking for some other "Goldilocks" planet to call home, since they have all but destroyed theirs with the science they invented?

What does it matter if there is life on other worlds when we can't even live in peace on our own and are destroying it?
jawsmiley.gif

If there is an Intelligent Creator, then I believe that he had to start somewhere and I think that this planet is his starting point. Getting the issues of free will sorted before beginning life elsewhere makes so much more sense than life being an accidental thing that might arrive elsewhere all by itself.

We are designed to have purpose in our lives and we seek it like no other creature. We alone possess the moral qualities of our Creator, even though free will can make us ignore them. Life lessons are not for nothing.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
In other words, you have to believe *first* in order to be convinced.

Again, how convenient.

A seeker is not yet a believer. Those searching for God (hoping to find him, though not yet convinced of his existence) if they have the right heart attitude, will be "drawn" by him (John 6:44).....those ranting and shaking their fist at him, as if he owes them something other than their life, will receive nothing, confirming all they ever believed anyway and ending up where they expected to go.....nowhere.

"Faith" is not something a person can manufacture....it is a condition of the heart, built up over time when one interacts with the Creator. It is likened to a seed that germinates in fertile soil. Unless it is sown in the right 'soil' and nurtured, it will not survive. (Matthew 13:18-23)
It needs no tangible proof because the Creator himself is not tangible. He manifests himself in other ways and this is what makes the faith of believers so strong.

If God's son were to manifest himself again tomorrow and start healing the sick and raising the dead as he did almost two thousand years ago, he would receive the exact same treatment because he would again be castigating the religious leaders who have led their flocks astray. People will believe who and what they want to believe. If he didn't fit their perceptions of who or what God's son is in their view, they would find ways to deny him and make him out to be a fake all over again. Human nature does not change. Only a relative few responded and recognized the truth of his words back in the first century, and it was foretold to happen again. (Matthew 7:13-14; Matthew 24:37-39)

The apostle Paul addressed Greek unbelievers at the Areopagus and said concerning a deity that they did not yet know, that they should... "seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us." (Acts 17:27)

Those who humbly seek God on his terms will find him.....but they must stick to their commitment to follow the teachings of his son to the end of their lives, or to the end of the age...whichever comes first. Death does not interfere with the reward. (Matthew 24:13)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You only object to the science that contradicts what you believe by faith, and for that reason alone.

Well, seeing as how macro-evolution has the least amount of actual evidence for its claims, then yes, I disagree with that kind of science....especially when it is stated as a fact.

You could and would make the exact same arguments about any other science that did the same - "No evidence," "All supposition," etc.. You could do that with quantum theory, or the germ theory of disease: "I've reviewed the science and it is weak. There's no evidence, it's all supposition."

Let's see.......

"Quantum theory is used in a huge variety of applications in everyday life, including lasers, CDs, DVDs, solar cells, fibre-optics, digital cameras, photocopiers, bar-code readers, fluorescent lights, LED lights, computer screens, transistors, semi-conductors, super-conductors, spectroscopy, MRI scanners, etc, etc. By some estimates, over 25% of the GDP of developed countries is directly based on quantum physics."

Quantum Theory and the Uncertainty Principle - The Physics of the Universe

So I can see where we can ascertain why this theory has relatively substantial backup in practice.

Unlike macro-evolution, Germ Theory was proven. "...it was the laboratory researches of Louis Pasteur in the 1860s and then Robert Koch in the following decades that provided the scientific proof for germ theory. Their work opened the door to research into the identification of disease-causing germs and potential life-saving treatments."

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/techniques/germtheory

So, I don't know about you, but where is the correlation between these theories and macro-evolution, which "might have" or "could have" taken place but science has no real proof so they use guesswork.

Nice try.
looksmiley.gif

What would stop you from doing that to protect your faith from those sciences if they also challenged your beliefs?

You are firing blanks my friend. You have no real substantial proof for your theory and we can see right through it.
128fs318181.gif

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Is that what you saw in those words? Maybe you should read them again :

Maybe you should read them again.....

Here it is in Strongs with the actual meanings of the Hebrew words.....

“If H3588 men H376 struggle H5327 with each other and strike H5062 a woman H802 with child H2030 so that H3205 birth H3205 prematurely, H3318 yet there is no H3808 injury, H611 he shall surely H6064 be fined H6064 as the woman’s H802 husband H1167 H7896 of him, and he shall pay H5414 H6414 decide.

“But if H518 there is any further injury, H611 then you shall appoint H5414 as a penalty life H5315 for life, H5315"

Exodus 21:22 (NASB)

This is clearly saying that if the child is born prematurely and no harm comes to the child, then a fine is paid for the trauma caused. But if the child or its mother dies, then the lost life is compensated for by the one who caused the death, losing his own life.

This is brought out more clearly in the Orthodox Jewish Bible.

"If men fight, and hurt an isha harah (pregnant woman), so that she gives birth prematurely but not with any injury; he shall be surely punished, according as the ba’al haisha will assess a fine upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

23 And if any ason (harm, fatality) follow, then thou shalt take nefesh for nefesh,"

I think Orthodox Jews should be able to translate their own Bible.

Any premature birth can become a miscarriage if the fetus is not viable.

It's pretty clear that the death of the fetus is not considered harm. It only warrants a fine for property damage, and it's paid to the woman's husband. I'm sure that the loss of a goat would have been handled similarly.
The life-for-life stuff only applies when there is harm, which, since that doesn't include the death of the fetus, can only refer to the woman or fighters. There's no death penalty for inducing a miscarriage.

I think the OJB disagrees with you.

Why? Because according to the scriptures, life begins with breath. Life is synonymous with breath.

That sounds like a person who is able to justify abortion. Life begins at conception. Everything about that individual is present in its DNA.

Psalm 139:14-16:
"I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well.
15 My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret,
when I was formed in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw me when I was formless;

all my days were written in Your book and planned
before a single one of them began
."

You cannot make an unborn child worthless to the Creator.

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." - Gen 2:7

Adam wasn't alive until he breathed. The form of Adam became a living being (nefesh hayah, or “a living breath”) when God blew into its nostrils and it started to breathe.

Does a child in utero breathe? Yes it does...it takes its oxygen supply from its mother. If she stops breathing the baby inside her will die, if not removed by Caesarean section immediately.

How do we account for our widely disparate understandings of what the Bible says on this matter? A guy on another thread was livid that I suggested that an unbeliever had a more objective view of the Bible than a believer since the unbeliever doesn't need to correct it or rationalize about what its words mean. I'm guessing that you don't like the idea that the Bible might consider a fetus non-living property, the death of which elicits only a fine, so you just won't see that that is what it says.

Its amazing what unbelievers think they know.....even about science. I can see what it says and so can everyone else with half a brain.

Since you have no belief in God, why do you even care?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
O, there is lots to point to, but viewed through your lens, if it can't be explained within the parameters of "science" then it doesn't count.

I could point to the science of biomimetics and ask why scientists want to copy the ingenious things they see in "nature" (mostly for commercial applications) and use their own intelligence to duplicate them whilst assuming that the original had no designer. If it takes intelligent minds to copy those things, why is it assumed that the original is just a fortunate accident?

Mutation and selection have been shown to lead to solutions of problems that are close to optimal. Nature does this with living things. But we can do the same thing artificially with computer programs to find ways of solving problems, using random mutation and selection, that we cannot solve other ways. No 'design' is required.

What is published in the science journals is carefully vetted to make sure nothing disagrees with what science proffers as its truth. Peer review is a joke. The fox is guarding the hen house.
This is simply false. And I think it is the key tour claims. Ideas that are contrary to the 'default' are published all the time. Sometimes such ideas are convincing and become the new orthodoxy and other times they are not convincing and do not. This is exactly as it should be.

For example, When Stephen Gould found that certain stages of evolution can happen much faster than the orthodoxy believed, he presented the evidence for his position and it was published and discussed widely.

Now, one of the requirements for new ideas is that they *do* present evidence in support. And, truthfully, without that evidence, they should not get a hearing. And, truthfully, that includes almost all of the ID material presented. But, and this is important, the ideas do still get a hearing. If they manage to convince the scientists because of the weight of the evidence, then the ideas become the new orthodoxy.

A big part of my problem is that you think I have a problem.
171.gif

I believe it is evolutionists who have a problem.
The difference is the the 'evolutionists' have the evidence to back up their assertions.

So I guess all that stuff on NASA's website is uniformly poor then?
No, but large parts are watered down and given artists impressions for the understanding of the public. The artists renditions are NOT the scientific claim.

Since it is the scientists who have explained things to the journalists, perhaps it is the scientists who are at fault? Or is it simply that the Emperor is naked annly think his garments are magnificent?
The fault is certainly joint. Unfortunately, scientists have ignored the education of the general public for way too long. By leaving it in the hands of the politicians and, truthfully, those with education degrees (which all too often show no real understanding of the underlying material), the overall level of science education in most countries is abysmal.

When I go to the doctor and he suggests that a surgical procedure is the best way to go about dealing with my problem, he gets a model or draws a diagram to show me what he is going to do. He needs no complicated medical details or terminology to explain the procedure.....if he spoke in those terms it would only confuse me. I see no difference with evolution. If you can't explain it simply, without the jargon, then I am suspicious of the baseline.

Which is why you get the pictures of evolution you complained about above. Do you want a technical description, with all the evidence, or do you want the diagrams that don't give the full story?
When you go to the doctor, the diagrams are NOT the medical research. Nor do they have the latest and most detailed description of what is going on. If they did, you would complain, I can guarantee, about it being over your head. But, when *exactly* the same thing is done in descriptions of evolution, you complain that it doesn't give enough detail. Sorry, but if you want details, you may have to learn some technical terminology.

But you don't?
4fvgdaq_th.gif
Good grief. Who gave you the high ground here? Don't tell me, let me guess......?

I am biased towards testable theories that are backed by evidence.

O, but they do. The interpretation of their evidence is skewed towards their theory in every case. We can see the same evidence and reach an entirely different conclusion based on our bias. Just because it doesn't fit in with what you want to believe, doesn't automatically make you right and me, wrong. We each have a "belief", but you cannot accept that. You are not in a better position than me, you have just been convinced that you are by your own 'deities'. How are we different?
You have *not* looked at the evidence in detail. You have *not* learned the technical terminology or the basis for the conclusions made by the scientists.

But I don't hear scientists protesting about them...do you? They are useful for brainwashing children and the uneducated to accept science's viewpoint because the science gods are more intellectually superior to any Creator.....right?
worship.gif

Actually, I *do* hear complaints from the scientists about our horrible educational system. And not just from scientists, I might add. Too often, education is left in the hands of politicians, local communities, and educators that don't know what they are teaching. I actually had a conversation with a local educator that said, point blank, that a teacher doesn't need to know the mateiral they are teaching, only how to teach. I was appalled!

Each bump on the bones is an 'assumption' based on what they already expect to find.
And this is where you are simply wrong. Each 'bump' provides evidence of where muscles or ligaments were attached. The size gives evidence for the amount of force on the bones. You can get a lot of information by looking at the small details of a bone.
Since when does similarity mean relationship? An ear bone does not prove that a land animal became a whale.
mornincoffee.gif

Look around the animal kingdom and ask which animals have bones in the inner ear. Look to see what other characteristics those animals have. You will find that they are all warm blooded, they all have hair, and they all have a host of other distinguishing characteristics. if you look at the fossil record, you find the the bone characteristics of such animals started to show in certain lines (I can go into more detail if you want, but I suspect you will ignore it) and that those characteristics follow certain lines of change of the species through time.

Simple similarity doesn't prove relationship. But when you have a whole constellation of similarities that are all associated with only particular types of animals, it *does* show relationship. The whales *are* a type of mammal. They are related to certain hoofed animals, as shown not only by comarative anatomy, but by comparing genes and proteins.

The Intelligent Designer programmed all living things to adapt to a change of environment......end of story. There is not a single shred of evidence that macro-evolution is even possible using adaptation as a basis for the 'assumptions'.....because that is what they are....assumptions, based on nothing but the power of suggestion. "Could have"...."might have"....."leads us to the conclusion" is NOT the language of fact...it is the language of supposition based on pre-conceived notions.
But there is no reason to *assume* a limit to the changes involved, especially when mutation regenerates the variances in populations. So the adaptation continues to lead to changes that are larger over time. And that is *all* that macro-evolution is.

Yes, actually, this is the language of faxct and honesty. NO conclusion of science is absolute. In fact, scientists are *very* cautious about claiming absolute certainty in anything. And that is good and honest and right. They will say 'probably' when the evidence points to 99.99% likelihood. They will say 'suggests' when the evidence would hold up in any court. That is because they *know* that many specific conclusions could be changed *in detail* if new evidence is found. Even in physics, this is common. That you point to such words as 'weasel words' is showing exactly how much you don't understand scientific culture.

Since the intervening periods of many millions of years have yielded no fossils to demonstrate that a slow rate of evolution ever took place, you really can't say with any certainty what caused that situation to arise.
Again, you claim this, but it is simply false. We have very clear descriptions of the evolutionary changes in several lines, like horses, and yes, in hominids. The evidence for these is clear enough to show slow evolution, with diversification, and, at time, extinction. When you say no intermediate fossils have been found, you are simply lying.

It could have another explanation altogether. Guesswork is not based on anything solid. Your circumstantial evidence is actually very flimsy, but its made to appear to be convincing.....just good marketing really.

Wow. The evidence shows you to be wrong. But you think that science is more prone to this than, say, religion? What testing or evidence of reliigon can you provide? Answer: exactly none.

The evidence weighs very little when you really examine it minus the diagrams and suggestions. The truth viewed through our lens, points us in an opposite direction. Guess we will just have to wait and see....won't we? :D Our road leads somewhere....where does your road lead?

Does it also increase the possibility that other planets are inhabited by beings like ourselves who are arguing over which bits of the planet's crust they own? Like fleas arguing over which part of the dog is theirs?
I know this is a rhetorical question and not a serious question. The chances of humans arguing on other planets is infinitesimally small. Even if there is life, the chances of an intelligent species is much, much lower. But yes, it increases the chances.

Or perhaps they have even more destructive weapons than we do and are looking for some other "Goldilocks" planet to call home, since they have all but destroyed theirs with the science they invented?
What does it matter if there is life on other worlds when we can't even live in peace on our own and are destroying it?
jawsmiley.gif

Some people simply want to know if we are alone in the universe. Yes, we still have to solve our own problems on this planet. Your point? That we shouldn't pursue such knowledge at all?

If there is an Intelligent Creator, then I believe that he had to start somewhere and I think that this planet is his starting point. Getting the issues of free will sorted before beginning life elsewhere makes so much more sense than life being an accidental thing that might arrive elsewhere all by itself.

We are designed to have purpose in our lives and we seek it like no other creature. We alone possess the moral qualities of our Creator, even though free will can make us ignore them. Life lessons are not for nothing.

Thank you for your opinion.Now, to be taken seriously, provide evidence.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe you should read them again.....

Here it is in Strongs with the actual meanings of the Hebrew words.....

“If H3588 men H376 struggle H5327 with each other and strike H5062 a woman H802 with child H2030 so that H3205 birth H3205 prematurely, H3318 yet there is no H3808 injury, H611 he shall surely H6064 be fined H6064 as the woman’s H802 husband H1167 H7896 of him, and he shall pay H5414 H6414 decide.

“But if H518 there is any further injury, H611 then you shall appoint H5414 as a penalty life H5315 for life, H5315"

Exodus 21:22 (NASB)

This is clearly saying that if the child is born prematurely and no harm comes to the child, then a fine is paid for the trauma caused. But if the child or its mother dies, then the lost life is compensated for by the one who caused the death, losing his own life.

This is brought out more clearly in the Orthodox Jewish Bible.

"If men fight, and hurt an isha harah (pregnant woman), so that she gives birth prematurely but not with any injury; he shall be surely punished, according as the ba’al haisha will assess a fine upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

23 And if any ason (harm, fatality) follow, then thou shalt take nefesh for nefesh,"

I think Orthodox Jews should be able to translate their own Bible.

Any premature birth can become a miscarriage if the fetus is not viable.

I think the OJB disagrees with you.

That sounds like a person who is able to justify abortion. Life begins at conception. Everything about that individual is present in its DNA.

Psalm 139:14-16:
"I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well.
15 My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret,
when I was formed in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw me when I was formless;

all my days were written in Your book and planned
before a single one of them began."

You cannot make an unborn child worthless to the Creator.

Does a child in utero breathe? Yes it does...it takes its oxygen supply from its mother. If she stops breathing the baby inside her will die, if not removed by Caesarean section immediately.

Its amazing what unbelievers think they know.....even about science. I can see what it says and so can everyone else with half a brain.

Since you have no belief in God, why do you even care?

Of course the unborn child is not worthless to the author of that scripture. There will be a fine if one is stillborn due to fighting. It has value just like a goat or sheep.

Fetuses don't breathe any more than the womb carrying them does.

And I doubt that any skeptics will agree with you about what the scripture says and means. We just tell you what it says. One has to be in the sway of a faith based confirmation bias to agree with you.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The evidence shows you to be wrong. But you think that science is more prone to this than, say, religion? What testing or evidence of reliigon can you provide?

We have as much solid evidence as you do. IMO, your belief system has less actual evidence than mine does.
I don't have to rely on a sparse array of old bones to tell me the story of Creation. I have an eyewitness account from the Creator himself......Sorry its not "scientific" enough for you. :D It is for me and many others. But hey, its not a competition...its a choice.

Thank you for your opinion. Now, to be taken seriously, provide evidence.

171.gif
And you cannot see that to be taken seriously, evolutionary science also has to provide "evidence" that does not involve educated guessing and suggestions that cannot possibly be proven "scientifically".

Everything you provide is based on speculation about what the evidence is "suggesting".....what "might have" or "could have" taken place are not provable facts. You have as much real evidence as we do. You just can't accept that, can you?

Science has you so embedded in its theory that you cannot see through it. If you had real evidence, it might be convincing, but right at its baseline, macro-evolution is a con job of massive proportions. How do you get so many people to swallow it? You dress it up in high sounding lingo and imply through teachers and students alike that only idiots would question it. :confused:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
We have as much solid evidence as you do. IMO, your belief system has less actual evidence than mine does.
I don't have to rely on a sparse array of old bones to tell me the story of Creation. I have an eyewitness account from the Creator himself......Sorry its not "scientific" enough for you. :D It is for me and many others. But hey, its not a competition...its a choice.
There we go again, Deeje's OPINION, as though, unsupported and out in left field. it has any weight. She is entitled to any opinion she wants to hold, but where she goes astray (regularly and inevitably) is in her firm belief that she is entitled to her own facts.

171.gif
And you cannot see that to be taken seriously, evolutionary science also has to provide "evidence" that does not involve educated guessing and suggestions that cannot possibly be proven "scientifically".
Evidence has been repeatedly provided, as has proof that goes way beyond a reasonable doubt.
Everything you provide is based on speculation about what the evidence is "suggesting".....what "might have" or "could have" taken place are not provable facts. You have as much real evidence as we do. You just can't accept that, can you?
There is no need to "accept" that since what you are saying is, emphatically, wrong and is based on a misunderstanding of the language used combined with the most hideous of quote mining.
Science has you so embedded in its theory that you cannot see through it. If you had real evidence, it might be convincing, but right at its baseline, macro-evolution is a con job of massive proportions. How do you get so many people to swallow it? You dress it up in high sounding lingo and imply through teachers and students alike that only idiots would question it. :confused:
[/quote]You have been shown, dozens of times, how far off the beam your perversion of the real science has taken you, there is no reason to repeat it one more time. But I will, one more time, request from you a clear definition of the term "kind."

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
We have as much solid evidence as you do.

You haven't shown this empty unsubstantiated claim to be anything more than an empty unsubstantiated claim.

Firstly, i can tell you now that it's not true: You DON'T have as much solid evidence as "we"(i still think it's a mistake on your part to think it's all you vs Atheist Darwinists) do. It's been shown to you so many times it's starting to get tiresome and not-so-funny. You have been provided with said evidence. You then show your belief that you can somehow dismiss it out of hand by your subjective non-evidence based reasoning.

But the fact remains: You don't have as much solid evidence. In fact, you believe that solid evidence refers to a subjective observation of a fictional, non-verifiable fantasy book. But this by no definition of the word "evidence" counts as actual evidence. That's a pretty big problem at the root.

Your "evidence" is weaker than real evidence, and you consider it to be stronger than real evidence. This can be seen, and it's a logical problem you have yet to resolve in any of your claims. In every single "argument" you present, you show hypocrisy and contradictory claims. This still has not been resolved in any way, and it shows that others have to use more effort and consideration to answer to your replies than you are using to reply to your opponents.

I still think you're being dishonest on purpose. Unless you somehow manage to resolve the hypocrisies and contradictory claims in your arguments. My claim is thus: You are dishonest based on the content of your posts. You are your actions. Your behavior lowers the quality and potential content of your replies. You act like an unlearned simpleton making fun of smarter people than you.

I also think your arguments are based on you not understanding the subject matter. I don't think you even understand your own religion enough to make convincing arguments for it. Your performance so far has shown this. You definitely do not understand the science. Your performance so far as shown this. I don't think you understand either religion OR science to a sufficient degree to make a compelling argument for even YOU knowing what you're talking about. So far you have shown this.

TLDR: Your posts make it seem like you really don't know what you're talking about and i'm starting to wonder why people even bother beating a dead horse anymore. Deejee's simplistic inane ideas do way more damage to her own side and claims than any of you guys could hope to. And they're there for all to see, unedited in their ridiculous glory. :D

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You haven't shown this empty unsubstantiated claim to be anything more than an empty unsubstantiated claim.

Firstly, i can tell you now that it's not true: You DON'T have as much solid evidence as "we"(i still think it's a mistake on your part to think it's all you vs Atheist Darwinists) do. It's been shown to you so many times it's starting to get tiresome and not-so-funny. You have been provided with said evidence. You then show your belief that you can somehow dismiss it out of hand by your subjective non-evidence based reasoning.

But the fact remains: You don't have as much solid evidence. In fact, you believe that solid evidence refers to a subjective observation of a fictional, non-verifiable fantasy book. But this by no definition of the word "evidence" counts as actual evidence. That's a pretty big problem at the root.

Your "evidence" is weaker than real evidence, and you consider it to be stronger than real evidence. This can be seen, and it's a logical problem you have yet to resolve in any of your claims. In every single "argument" you present, you show hypocrisy and contradictory claims. This still has not been resolved in any way, and it shows that others have to use more effort and consideration to answer to your replies than you are using to reply to your opponents.

I still think you're being dishonest on purpose. Unless you somehow manage to resolve the hypocrisies and contradictory claims in your arguments. My claim is thus: You are dishonest based on the content of your posts. You are your actions. Your behavior lowers the quality and potential content of your replies. You act like an unlearned simpleton making fun of smarter people than you.

I also think your arguments are based on you not understanding the subject matter. I don't think you even understand your own religion enough to make convincing arguments for it. Your performance so far has shown this. You definitely do not understand the science. Your performance so far as shown this. I don't think you understand either religion OR science to a sufficient degree to make a compelling argument for even YOU knowing what you're talking about. So far you have shown this.

TLDR: Your posts make it seem like you really don't know what you're talking about and i'm starting to wonder why people even bother beating a dead horse anymore. Deejee's simplistic inane ideas do way more damage to her own side and claims than any of you guys could hope to. And they're there for all to see, unedited in their ridiculous glory.

And what in that whole tirade made a case for your own position? I have yet to see you present any evidence. You're all talk.
4fvgdaq_th.gif

Put downs seem to be all you guys are capable of producing......its getting old and tired.
You can't bully your way out of this issue, though you all get an A for effort.

Show us all how you prove that macro-evolution ever took place......but it must not contain a belief, a suggestion, or anything that cannot be scientifically tested. Support your own unsubstantiated claims.

ArtieE

Those who humbly seek God on his terms will find him.....but they must stick to their commitment to follow the teachings of his son to the end of their lives, or to the end of the age...whichever comes first. Death does not interfere with the reward. (Matthew 24:13)
You only quote from certain books in a certain Bible... Why don't you ever quote from the Qu'ran? You know, the other book your god authored? Just for variation...

Darkstorn

Show us all how you prove that macro-evolution ever took place......but it must not contain a belief, a suggestion, or anything that cannot be scientifically tested. Support your own unsubstantiated claims.

I haven't provided an argument for evolution, so there is no "burden of proof" on me here. I only addressed your claims. I didn't even really present an alternative argument, just shifted attention to the fact that your arguments aren't strong enough by themselves to convince anyone except yourself and maybe your rabid Fanboy(you know who you are. :D)

In any case, there are some problems regarding your stance:

Firstly, you don't know the meaning of the term "proof" if you keep using it in this context.

Second, i haven't argued with you about macro-evolution anyway. I said you're selective regarding evidence. A paper, or a link to a peer-reviewed journal isn't enough for you, as has been shown. But it IS enough for you to quote something from the Bible and that's that; No critical thinking required. It is accepted at face value. Same goes for your quote mining(remember the Einstein thread?) I'm saying you are being dishonest in your behavior: You elevate your opinions to the level of fact, yet at the same time treat other viewpoints as even less than opinions: You constantly try to imagine them to be funny jokes for you to spam some smileys at as response rather than actual arguments.

Third: I will not waste my time doing any providing of evidence since it's already been done, UNLESS:

You somehow manage to FIRST resolve YOUR outstanding claims. Your argument is based on a subjective assessment of a book. How are you going to use science to support any of your claims? Are you not using belief, when the very premise of your argument is thus:

You must first believe in the word of the bible for the "evidence" to become apparent. You keep saying this constantly.

The ONLY content of my post is accusing you of not providing evidence for your unsubstantiated claims. I have not provided an argument for evolution yet at all, so you don't get to demand evidence of me. I'm trying to shift attention to these facts, and that is my only purpose:

Your entire stance is riddled with hypocrisy, inconsistency, misquotes, outright falsehoods, and elevating of opinion to the level of universal truth. These issues still have not been resolved, and they sink whatever points you are trying to make. You might be doing "god's work" in your eyes but the amount of effort and honesty you show would lead me to believe that you aren't trying nearly hard enough. Most people aim to perform at their very best. From your messages it's very apparent that you revel in performing at your very least. You're doing a disservice to your own side with such carelessness and intellectual laziness.

I'm trying to say that rational people will read your posts, without any opposite arguments required, and see the inconsistencies and hypocrisies by themselves. Your argument is not strong enough for people to even have to respond to them. That is my opinion. Your argument is so weak it can't stand on its own merits.

I'm trying to make you see that unless you manage to resolve the issues with your claims, arguing with you is an exercise in futility. People have ALREADY provided you with more than you are providing to them. There is no escaping this fact. You don't understand the views you are trying to argue. You don't understand religion OR science to a sufficient degree to convince us that you know what you are talking about.

You expect us to lower ourselves to your level and "learn" the method to your madness. You aren't prepared to learn anything except what you think you already know to be true. NO evidence will convince you unless it supports your stance. This cherry-picking is tantamount to ruining your own argument. Because science isn't about picking facts to support your premise. First you need to show that the premise holds true. And you haven't done this.

/E: I mean, knowing what you keep doing, such as repeating claims without backing them up, saying stuff like this:

You are firing blanks my friend. You have no real substantial proof for your theory and we can see right through it.
128fs318181.gif

Just oozes the level of dishonesty people have to deal with when arguing with you. You say a thing, and then poof, you manage to ruin whatever you say with an astounding level of hypocrisy or contradiction possibly even in the same sentence... If we were not to respond, you would contradict your own argument within the very same argument. Not a very strong stance to stand on.

Like i said, exercise in futility.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We have as much solid evidence as you do. IMO, your belief system has less actual evidence than mine does. I don't have to rely on a sparse array of old bones to tell me the story of Creation. I have an eyewitness account from the Creator himself.

I think that you are missing the key aspect of evidence: It's evident. You can see (or hear, feel, etc) it. Your evidence is a book that claims in it that it was written by a god. That's the evidence you have. That it represents an eyewitness account from a creator is an unsubstantiated claim.

Your job and mine is to evaluate that claim. How can we do that? What should such a book look like? Here's one take on that:

"Imagine how spectacular a book would be if it were authored by a deity who created the universe. Yet there isn't a sentence in any holy book today that couldn't have been written by someone from the first century, and anyone today could easily improve on any of the holy books that people still follow. If a deity exists, it would be far more intelligent that anybody who has ever lived. So what does that say when anyone can improve on the Bible and Qur'an, but very few can improve on a book by Stephen Hawking?" - anon

Here's another take on the subject of what a such a book of divine origin would be like (from RG Ingersoll):
  • It should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.
  • It should contain the perfection of philosophy.
  • It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.
  • There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
  • Its morality should be the highest, the purest.
  • Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired
  • It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
  • It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
  • It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
  • It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.
  • It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.
You've chosen to believe that the book is authentic despite these shortcomings, indicating that you believe by faith, not evidence. You're ignoring evidence, so why even bring it up?

Incidentally, we have far more evidence than the fossil evidence, which would be sufficient even if that's all there was.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And you would be wrong there. We also have all the evidence from genetics, from geology, from comparative anatomy, and many other fields.

You need first to show that a creator exists. Then you need to show that your source is a story from that creator. Then you need to show that creator wasn't lying or fabricating. Then you need to show you are correctly interpreting that story.hen you need to actually go do the science others have already done.

At this point, you have exactly NO evidence.

171.gif

First of all, science works on finding the explanation that best fits the evidence. There is no absolute proof in science. Even in physics it simply doesn't exist. Scientists are, by natre and training, cautious conclusions. They use words like 'seem' and 'suggests' when they are much, much more confident in the conclusion than an average juror would be in condemning a criminal. But they *know* that no amount of evidence will give 100% certainty, especially in the historical sciences.

If you want proof, do mathematics or drink alcohol. Science, especially historical science, never has 100% proof. There is *always* a possibility that new evidence will shift the conclusions or put them in a different light. And all scientists are painfully aware of that fact.

We *do* have the evidence. It is religion, especially in the form of creation science or ID that is the massive con job. It is *your* position that fails to find the hard evidence to back up their position. It is *your* position that fails to do the required research and testing to show they are correct. It is *your* position that works parasitically on the work of others, merely criticizing and not producing anything new. THe arguments you make are literally those of 200 years ago and were shown wrong by the evidence at that time. The arguments haven't changed since. But the evidence has and has supported the evolutionary viewpoint.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read an interesting short article yesterday called "A Hatred of Science Is Killing the Church: Why Young Adults Leave or Never Show Up" at A Hatred of Science Is Killing the Church: Why Young Adults Leave or Never Show Up written by a Christian and former creationist bemoaning the damage that creationists are doing to the church. He cited a passage from a Barna ("an evangelical Christian polling firm based in Ventura, California") study:

"One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers” (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science” (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.” Furthermore, the research shows that many science-minded young Christians are struggling to find ways of staying faithful to their beliefs and to their professional calling in science-related industries."

Then he goes on to say,

"This posture toward science is and will continue to kill the future of the church. This is bad news. And I don’t want my daughter growing up and graduating from her faith when gets to college. I don’t want to continue to set people up to have to choose between their brains and the back door of the church.

We need a better conversation. We need to listen to the best biblical scholars and Christian leaders. We need to read the crap out of the Biologos website. We need to shut down this part of church culture. It is killing the church and de-converting young people.

"The gospel is too important to defend creation science. The message of Jesus is too life changing to spend any energy fighting biological evolution. God created. God loves creation. God died to heal creation. This creation is approximately 14 billion years old. Killing the church isn’t worth fighting battles that we were never meant to win."

I would add that he left out several other things that are hurting the church and causing people to turn away from it, such as its homophobia (Kim Davis, the Duck Dynasty guy, the Oregon wedding cake bakers), the march of science, the failure of the abstinence only (Palin) and quiverfull (Duggar) movements, the sense of Christian privilege (my billboard is OK but yours is an affront), and using the language of persecution (saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas is a war of Christmas), endless hypocrisy (the Catholic church pedophilia coverup and Creflo Dollar and Benny Hinn lately) not to mention the best sellers from atheists and the rise of the Internet granting young people access to information and dissent contradicting what their parents and preachers tell them.

Last edited:

Darkstorn

Deeje has got to be the only person i've ever witnessed make the claim that there's a conspiracy to hide knowledge from idiots by using such advanced language that they can't understand it...

Way to sell everyone short, especially yourself.

If you had real evidence, it might be convincing, but right at its baseline, macro-evolution is a con job of massive proportions. How do you get so many people to swallow it? You dress it up in high sounding lingo and imply through teachers and students alike that only idiots would question it. :confused:

Hilarious.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You only quote from certain books in a certain Bible... Why don't you ever quote from the Qu'ran? You know, the other book your god authored? Just for variation...

I did the research and I consulted the God who wrote the Bible and he told me that it was all true. I studied the Bible for years before making my commitment. I dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's and knew my God well before I vowed to serve his interests before my own in what is left of the time remaining in this world system. Can you see it going down? Many people who doubted before, are now convinced that we are living in the "last days". Its decision time.

The conduct of those who identify as Christians, Jews or Muslims, tell me that they do not practice what they preach....nor do they have love for one another. (John 13:34-35)

Can you define faith ArtieE......?

Let the Bible do it for you.....
Hebrews 11:1:
"Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen."

Everyone is free to search for their own faith, or lack of it.....and that is as it should be because these are conclusions reached in the heart, not just the mind. Our decisions, as far as God is concerned, tell him exactly who and what we are. It forms the basis for him to either accept us or reject us as citizens of his Kingdom. Its our decision, not his.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I read an interesting short article yesterday called "A Hatred of Science Is Killing the Church: Why Young Adults Leave or Never Show Up" at A Hatred of Science Is Killing the Church: Why Young Adults Leave or Never Show Up written by a Christian and former creationist bemoaning the damage that creationists are doing to the church. He cited a passage from a Barna ("an evangelical Christian polling firm based in Ventura, California") study:

"One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers” (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science” (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.” Furthermore, the research shows that many science-minded young Christians are struggling to find ways of staying faithful to their beliefs and to their professional calling in science-related industries."

Then he goes on to say,

"This posture toward science is and will continue to kill the future of the church. This is bad news. And I don’t want my daughter growing up and graduating from her faith when gets to college. I don’t want to continue to set people up to have to choose between their brains and the back door of the church.

We need a better conversation. We need to listen to the best biblical scholars and Christian leaders. We need to read the crap out of the Biologos website. We need to shut down this part of church culture. It is killing the church and de-converting young people.

"The gospel is too important to defend creation science. The message of Jesus is too life changing to spend any energy fighting biological evolution. God created. God loves creation. God died to heal creation. This creation is approximately 14 billion years old. Killing the church isn’t worth fighting battles that we were never meant to win."

I would add that he left out several other things that are hurting the church and causing people to turn away from it, such as its homophobia (Kim Davis, the Duck Dynasty guy, the Oregon wedding cake bakers), the march of science, the failure of the abstinence only (Palin) and quiverfull (Duggar) movements, the sense of Christian privilege (my billboard is OK but yours is an affront), and using the language of persecution (saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas is a war of Christmas), endless hypocrisy (the Catholic church pedophilia coverup and Creflo Dollar and Benny Hinn lately) not to mention the best sellers from atheists and the rise of the Internet granting young people access to information and dissent contradicting what their parents and preachers tell them.

Perhaps it would help if you understood that the Bible itself prophesies the death of 'the church'. It is inevitable and beyond all human capability to save it. They are the 'weeds' of Jesus parable, and will be collected up and destroyed by the reapers. (Matthew 13:24-30; 36-43)

The one sowing the seeds of fake Christianity has also 'blinded' people to the truth concerning the Creator's existence. (2 Corinthians 4:3-4) How do you think he can even catch the wise and intellectual ones in his web of deceit?

Matthew 11:25:
Jesus said....“I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes."

He appeals to what he has always appealed to....self interest. 'You don't need to answer to anyone'....right?

So the academics are not really scoring high on the list with God, mostly because they think they are too intelligent to believe in an invisible God that they can't measure. Us 'uneducated morons' are trodden underfoot as some kind of dirt beneath their feet. I wonder who will have the last laugh though?

As with Judaism before it, Christendom has based all of its teachings on the traditions of men and not on the solid teachings of God's word. They use justification to practice all manner of things that God's word condemns.

Matthew describes Jesus' response to those who call him their "Lord" but who fail to do what he commanded them to do.....

Matthew 7:21-23:
“Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’"

I believe that the time is almost upon us, so our decisions now will have everlasting consequences. You can believe it or not. :shrug: