• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Smart are Humans in Absolute Terms?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
How smart are humans in absolute terms?

For the purposes of this OP, "intelligence" is defined as "the effectiveness with which an organism is able to purposely interact with its environment in order to realize its goals".

Defined as such, intelligence can in principle be measured in non-relative terms. For instance, you could create a series of problems or challenges to see how well an organism was able to meet them. That sort of thing is routinely done by investigators with both humans and animals. Best of all, such challenges measure human intelligence in more absolute terms than does comparing ourselves to other species.

By the way, there is a sense in which humans are no longer the smartest things on the planet. About four years ago -- in a grossly under-reported story -- researchers brought online the world's first artificial super-intelligence. An artificial super-intelligence is vastly smarter than both humans and other forms of artificial intelligence.

What distinguishes ASI from both human intelligence and conventional artificial intelligence is that ASI can recognize and solve problems that neither humans nor conventional AI are even capable of recognizing are problems.

Well... I mean I score quite highly on IQ tests... but then, I've also accidentally set myself on fire on more than one occasion, so... um... if you take all the evidence and average it out, we are probably at like a zero?

Last edited:

Ponder This

For the purposes of this OP, "intelligence" is defined as "the effectiveness with which an organism is able to purposely interact with its environment in order to realize its goals".

By this definition, it would seem that all of nature is intelligent. Perhaps more intelligent than humans who are sometimes confused about their purpose and have ill-defined goals.

As for computer "intelligence". Computers don't have self-derived purposes or goals. They must be given such by humans. Therefore, they can never realize their own goals.

Hence, in absolute terms, people are stupid and computers lack the capacity for intelligence.