• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How similar are the British Conservative Party and US Democratic Party?

They are the equivalent of the Republicans, but are more towards the centre wing of centre right. They are also not in thrall to the Christian Right as religion is not a massive political issue in the UK and most people expect politicians to keep their faith separate from their politics. Probably halfway between the Dems and Republicans on a scale.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
They are the equivalent of the Republicans, but are more towards the centre wing of centre right. They are also not in thrall to the Christian Right as religion is not a massive political issue in the UK and most people expect politicians to keep their faith separate from their politics. Probably halfway between the Dems and Republicans on a scale.
I agree and see Canadian conservatives as being closer to British Conservative than to our American counterparts - for the most part. Almost 1/2 way between the two because religion does play into the mix sometimes in Canada, but nowhere near to the extent of how it does in America.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Dissimilar. BJP is a Hindu-interest party which can accommodate other religions. Modi government has Muslim, Sikh and Christian ministers. Religion is important for them.

ronki23

I'm a British Conservative but I prefer America's Democratic Party. My favourite leaders include:

Winston Churchill
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
JFK
Margaret Thatcher
John Major
Bill Clinton
Barack Obama
Theresa May

although I also like Ronald Reagan and Abraham Lincoln so I'm not hard-and-fast Democrat.

What does 'Neo-Con' refer to as they're stigmatised?

Last edited: