• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should society deal with Neo-Nazis?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
None.

Criminal acts should be prosecuted according to the law, and ideas should battle it out in the realm of public discourse. Anything else is likely counterproductive, in addition to likely being morally questionable and hypocritical.

So, what *legal* acts should we have done in the 30's as Nazism rose in Germany?

None.

Criminal acts should be prosecuted according to the law, and ideas should battle it out in the realm of public discourse. Anything else is likely counterproductive, in addition to likely being morally questionable and hypocritical.

A small number of extremists can cause significant problems for a much larger number of people. A large number of those who initially opposed Assad were at least secular-ish. Now it is almost entirely dominated by Wahabbis.

Countless other examples exist throughout history, from the Nazis to the Balkans to the Bolsheviks.

Why do you consider it hypocritical or morally questionable to apply the principle of reciprocity? You can't complain about someone else taking away rights that you want to take away from others. That to me is fairness, not hypocrisy. It is the rejection of one groups expectation of special privilege.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
A small number of extremists can cause significant problems for a much larger number of people. A large number of those who initially opposed Assad were at least secular-ish. Now it is almost entirely dominated by Wahabbis.

Countless other examples exist throughout history, from the Nazis to the Balkans to the Bolsheviks.

Why do you consider it hypocritical or morally questionable to apply the principle of reciprocity? You can't complain about someone else taking away rights that you want to take away from others. That to me is fairness, not hypocrisy. It is the rejection of one groups expectation of special privilege.

I have no idea what your strawman has to do with the original question or what I responded.

icehorse

Premium Member
You realize that Germany was/is a sovereign nation, correct?

It seems that you're creating a false choice here? Either do nothing or break the law?

How about sanctions and/or tariffs? How about honest, open criticism? How about counter-propaganda?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It seems that you're creating a false choice here? Either do nothing or break the law?

How about sanctions and/or tariffs? How about honest, open criticism? How about counter-propaganda?

You're going to apply economic sanctions and tariffs against neo-nazis?

And yes, when I said "ideas should battle it out in the realm of public discourse," it includes things such as criticism and "counter-propaganda" (any type of rhetoric, really).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So what does "marginalization" look like? How does one go about marginalizing? (This is a sincere question, I hear the word used a lot, and I'm not sure what examples are.)

One thing to keep in mind is that the ideas generally associated with Nazism (nationalism, racism, expansionism, aggressive invasion, etc.) have already been marginalized in the eyes of the general public. A lot of the old ideals of "Americana" have also become marginalized, such as the romanticization of the Old West, the Antebellum period, the Lost Cause, Manifest Destiny, US expansionism. These ideals have all fallen by the wayside and are generally looked down upon by most Americans these days. They are seen now as ideals largely fostered by ignorance - and now that most people know this and recognize it as such, it would be extremely difficult to get the general public to turn back the clock. It's only when people don't know any better that such ideals can flourish and come to power.

The other side of this is that the economy has to continue to remain viable. Nazism probably never would have come to power in Germany if their economy had not been in such a shambles. People can be talked into accepting the unacceptable if they're desperate enough and hungry enough. Logic, reason, compassion, conscience, and morality will all go out the window under the duress of economic instability and deprivation.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You are advocating the silencing and banning of people who have characteristics and opinions that are unpopular?
With violence if it's necessary?

Have you really thought that through? Are you sure you trust your society and government with that kind of power?

I don't. Not even close.
Tom
Why shouldn't I, when they wish to destroy me and this very society? They don't support rights for me, so I see no reason to support rights for them.

icehorse

Premium Member
It's only when people don't know any better that such ideals can flourish and come to power.

I appreciate the thoughtful response.

What I'm hoping to discuss is this: What if, here and now in 2017, we have an ideology that we want to marginalize. How would we go about the marginalization process?

VioletVortex

Why shouldn't I, when they wish to destroy me and this very society? They don't support rights for me, so I see no reason to support rights for them.

Most Neo-Nazis hold no ill intentions towards the common nonwhite. Even though us Nationalists are labeled by most as "White supremacists", we are in fact Western supremacists.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What I'm hoping to discuss is this: What if, here and now in 2017, we have an ideology that we want to marginalize. How would we go about the marginalization process?
Go on, don't be shy. If I'm right and this thread is a thinly veiled 'we should treat Muslims like Nazi' my husband owes me dinner.

icehorse

Premium Member
Go on, don't be shy. If I'm right and this thread is a thinly veiled 'we should treat Muslims like Nazi' my husband owes me dinner.

There are any number of 2017 ideologies that this could apply to. Islamism is one. But so is extremist Christianity. And climate deniers. And so on...

so go dutch on dinner.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The golden rule is more 'do unto others as you would have them do unto' than 'do unto others as they would do to you' right?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Education would be a necessary component. The best way to fight an idea is with another idea.

VioletVortex

^This, 100%. I'm not opposed to banning such groups, either.

The irony there is that fascism is the very thing you are against, yet you would be happy with banning these people from forming groups, and you would also be fine with suppressing their speech. That is straight up fascist, and there is no getting around that. I'm not saying that you are fascist, but you certainly lean that way when it comes to the rights of those you disagree with.

A government's policy on dealing with political groups should be non-interventionist. It shouldn't deal with people based on political bias. I simply do not see what Nazi groups are doing wrong by existing.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The golden rule is more 'do unto others as you would have them do unto' than 'do unto others as they would do to you' right?
That implies that you're dealing with "normal" people. It's also an ideal to strive for and ideals don't always work in all circumstances.

Last edited: