• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should society deal with Neo-Nazis?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
What specific actions should society take in response to groups like this?

In the U.S., when Neo-Nazis march in Jewish communities, we defend their right to do so (and it's expensive to provide that defense).

Should we decry them? Should we marginalize them? What would that look like?

Kemosloby

Premium Member

In the U.S., when Neo-Nazis march in Jewish communities, we defend their right to do so (and it's expensive to provide that defense).

Obviously the government thinks what they are doing is right. If not for the government standing in the way defending them people would either ignore them or shoot them. So I think you're stuck with things the way they are. But you can just ignore them, which is probably the right thing to do anyway.

VioletVortex

What have they done wrong by holding and expressing their opinions? I can't give my full answer here, but seriously, wtf? I'd imagine your enemy Hitler asked the same question about Jews in the 1930s. How is your question any different?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Decry and berate them.

003e804d9eb0a6a7beb61cfb8ebdc253.jpg

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I am very conflicted in this. On the one hand, they will never have a place in my communities, social groups, or Kindreds. I actively oppose them, their ideologies, and their misrepresentation of my faith (when it comes to that). I detest them, I don't want to see them, and I don't want to tolerate them.

However, on the other hand, groups like the Black Panthers, Islamic Brotherhood, Jewish Defense League, Army of God, and others are all able to operate in the United States, even when they commit violence. So why should one go, when others are tolerated and even excused?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
At least your suggestion is peaceful...

Still, they haven't done anything wrong by holding views different from yours.
No, they haven't done anything as wrong as squelching free speech would be.
Derision and sarcasm and eggs and such seems like the proper response to people like that.
Tom

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
"Rhetoric does not get you anywhere, because Hitler and Mussolini are just as good at rhetoric. But if you can bring these people down with comedy, they stand no chance." - Mel Brooks

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
the Black Panthers
I can't speak for the others, but the Black Panthers were founded to monitor and stop police brutality, they also founded many charitable organizations. Violence was not a main point of focus for them although they did support militancy. I'm not aware of them committing acts of terrorism or murdering people.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
That is how they were founded, yes. But what they have become is nothing short of a terrorist organization on the same level as the neo-nazis. They have advocated for the deaths of white people in general, citing past black leaders that held the same views and that they are called to "finish the job." Their ideologies lead to the Dallas shooting, where one sniper targeted "white people and cops."

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That is how they were founded, yes. But what they have become is nothing short of a terrorist organization on the same level as the neo-nazis. They have advocated for the deaths of white people in general, citing past black leaders that held the same views and that they are called to "finish the job." Their ideologies lead to the Dallas shooting, where one sniper targeted "white people and cops."
Are you talking about the New Black Panther Party? If so, they have nothing to do with the original Black Panther Party of the '60s and '70s, which is what I was referring to. What remains of the original BPP has nothing to do with them and doesn't support them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ah, yes I suppose I am. I didn't realize they were different organizations.
Yeah, it can be confusing (sadly) but they have nothing to do with each other:

From Wiki:
"In 1989, a group calling itself the "New Black Panther Party" was formed in Dallas, Texas. Ten years later, the NBPP became home to many former Nation of Islam members when its chairmanship was taken by Khalid Abdul Muhammad.

The Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center include the New Black Panthers on their lists of designated hate groups.[169] The Huey Newton Foundation, former chairman and co-founder Bobby Seale, and members of the original Black Panther Party have insisted that this New Black Panther Party is illegitimate and they have strongly objected to it by stating that there "is no new Black Panther Party".[170]"

I have fond views of the original BPP. My mom worked alongside the Panthers with the Food Conspiracy in the early '70s in San Francisco, and she was white. They weren't racists. The fake "New Black Panther" group is racist and quite awful, though. They sully the name.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Once you feel oppressed, you are oppressed.

Ignorance is the best response. Listening to their own voice in an indifferent enviroment only lasts so long.

No desired result, no reason to stay around.

Just don't burn down, smash windows, and loot your own neighborhood to show how angry one is. It's happened already to the delight of very bemused Nazi members.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Once you feel oppressed, you are oppressed.
I... disagree. If you feel oppressed, you're just feeling. If you are oppressed, then you cannot do certain things. Speaking, acting, gathering, etc. Take for example this whole mess with the holidays every winter. Some groups of Christians say that they're being oppressed around that time of year because society is pulling away from calling the entire season "the Christmas Season", and recognizing other groups by saying "Holiday Season". Are they really being oppressed? Is Christmas being stopped and cancelled? No. Others are just being recognized as well.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
As mentioned - off the top of my head - Dallas. What terrorist acts have the AltRight really committed?
I don't know what terrorist act the AltRight has committed. I don't know who said the AltRight was a terrorist organisation. They are despicable, they are racist, but I would not call them terrorists.

Tell me more about what the new panther party did in Dallas. I don't know what you are talking about.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I... disagree. If you feel oppressed, you're just feeling. If you are oppressed, then you cannot do certain things. Speaking, acting, gathering, etc. Take for example this whole mess with the holidays every winter. Some groups of Christians say that they're being oppressed around that time of year because society is pulling away from calling the entire season "the Christmas Season", and recognizing other groups by saying "Holiday Season". Are they really being oppressed? Is Christmas being stopped and cancelled? No. Others are just being recognized as well.
Just a way of saying your mind can be your own worse enemy.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Let me refine the OP a bit:

What should society have done about Nazis in the early 1930s?