• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Serious Is Life?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
We work and strive for prosperity and happiness, but it will come to an end eventually. We will be forgotten over time. Should life be taken seriously considering its brevity? Does doing so make it less enjoyable?

pexels-jess-vide-4319752 (1).jpg
Photo by Jess Vide from Pexels

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Take life as seriously as you need to take it to make yourself content.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
We work and strive for prosperity and happiness, but it will come to an end eventually. We will be forgotten over time. Should life be taken seriously considering its brevity? Does doing so make it less enjoyable?
This is a fantastic question.

I don't have an answer, but based on my life so far, I find it the most enjoyable when I find meaningful work that allows me peace of mind when I am not there. So, I think first we have to ask how each individual would live a life they enjoy.

For some, the fierce competition and high stakes give them that fulfillment but it is a more serious approach. For others, they find the tranquility of life the most attractive and work to experience this the most.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What reason would that be, if I may ask?
I believe that this life should be taken seriously because it is our only preparation for the next life, where we will spend all of eternity in the spiritual world. If we do not acquire the good qualities of character in this life, we won't be able to acquire them after we die because we will no longer have free will to make moral choices. In that case we will be handicapped in the spiritual world, where only character matters. I believe it will also matter that we acquired knowledge of God in this life, because I am not sure if we will be able to acquire it in the next world.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

View attachment 48720
I think its only serious in the context of one lifespan. Beyond that, it really dosent mean anything with the overall grand picture.

We Never Know

No Slack

View attachment 48720

Like the saying goes... We all come into to life wearing diapers and having to be cared for and most leave life the same way. I guess that's the circle of life :)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
As conditions go, life is about as serious as it gets, what with its 100% fatality rate and all.

amorphous_constellation

I tend to think that this is part of the soul's journey , and it operates the body and world , the same way that you read a book , I suppose. I generally think that we know that there is a future at least , and that we should work toward trying to make the future good , so that a good present can be had in the future. This should be hardly controversial

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I believe that this life should be taken seriously because it is our only preparation for the next life, where we will spend all of eternity in the spiritual world. If we do not acquire the good qualities of character in this life, we won't be able to acquire them after we die because we will no longer have free will to make moral choices. In that case we will be handicapped in the spiritual world, where only character matters. I believe it will also matter that we acquired knowledge of God in this life, because I am not sure if we will be able to acquire it in the next world.

No free will without the capacity or desire to do moral wrongs?

It sounds like limitations God has on the scope of what God can do for others.

This world being the ultimate test.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No free will without the capacity or desire to do moral wrongs?

It sounds like limitations God has on the scope of what God can do for others.

This world being the ultimate test.
Our life in this world is the ultimate test because there is no free will as we know it here in the next world.
Although we cannot progress in the next world by the moral choices we make, God has no limitations so God can help us progress by His mercy in the next world.

"But we must always remember that our existence and everything we have or ever will have is dependent upon the mercy of God and His bounty, and therefore He can accept into His heaven, which is really nearness to Him, even the lowliest if He pleases. We always have the hope of receiving His mercy if we reach out for it."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, January 12, 1957)
Lights of Guidance (second part): A Bahá'í Reference File