• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How safe are psych wards?

Riders

I need psychiatric help, mainly to get my meds reevaluated. I am a recovering sex and love addict, I've done some dangerous stuff last few years.

There's not a lot of psych wards to choose from. But even when I was going to state out patient ward where I could get both counseling and psychiatric treatment metrocare there were always a lot of drug addicts and people who could be dangerous there.

I decided to go back to Parkland. Last time I went 15 years ago, They are doing intake on me now and theys till have my old records, last time I went crack head pimp who was looking for drugs tried to take me home with him.

I was a lot younger 35. But I started talking to him, he was hyped up walking around. That was a mistake. I found out he tried to get into the psych ward to detox off drugs and they would not take him I guess it wasn't bad enough.

So He was looking for some crack.He started telling me how cute I was that my face was like a baby face and how pretty and young I looked.It was creepy. He said he could introduce me to his friends make money. I had no idea what he was talking about.

When I went into the drs office,they kept me from leaving after the appointment I asked why they said the guy I was talking to was found waiting in the hall for me.He was going to get me to go home with him.

They told me he was looking to pimp me out I said why me? I'm 35. They said mys elf esteem with men was low and Im mentally, ill I need to watch out to not let my low self esteem show. Considering my obesity he probably thought he could con me with all the flattery He was a predator preying on me and my low self esteem.

I figure if I have a an appointment I wont have to wait too long. I talked to my sister yesterday she said just do not speak to anyone, if a man approaches me or tries to speak with me do not speak any man up there no matter what.Um gonna check in with my sister when I go and the go home and maybe sit there and text with her while I'm waiting.

Drug addiction problem is out of control int his country and I do not trust men in the psych wards. Hopfully Im 52 now Im old enough that I wont have any issues. But it's like there is just a need in me that says maybe I ought to bring garlic crosses and holy water no I am just kidding.

I think it'll be fine. I do think when women in particular have to go psych wards its just the best safest way is not to socialize or talk to any of the men in psych wards, It could spell disaster. With drug addict men down there, I'm gonna get on my phone and call my sister if I see any guy trying to talk to me. I'm gonna sit alone and hopefully everyone will just leave me alone.

With an appointment I wont have to wait that long so i am counting on a good experience.

Nimos

With an appointment I wont have to wait that long so i am counting on a good experience.
Hope everything turns out well and good luck with it. (Get a taser or peberspray :))

Just wondering, why are you going to the same place as drug addicts, it seems like a completely different issue which have little to do with what you are talking about, just find that strange?

Riders

Hope everything turns out well and good luck with it. (Get a taser or peberspray :))

Just wondering, why are you going to the same place as drug addicts, it seems like a completely different issue which have little to do with what you are talking about, just find that strange?

All and any psych ward I go to has drug addicts there's no getting out of it.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I hope psych wards are safer nowadays than they were when electroshock therapy or lobotomies had been performed there in the 1970s.

Happy Halloween!

b0471a21c616047d9ce148adb5f184e1.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I can't answer your safety question, but I can wish for the best for you. I hope and pray you find what you're looking for.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The private psych hospitals are generally OK, as are the ones associated with hospitals. The state hospitals, or those privatized hospitals used by the poor or medicaid patients often have problems, though.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
All and any psych ward I go to has drug addicts there's no getting out of it.

If you voluntarily commit yourself you can leave at any time you don't feel comfortable. But, I really question what you think they're going to do for you there that you cannot get through some one-on-one time and some life management assistance. (They do have people that do this, BTW. If anything it's good for helping you keep score.)

Just live by my motto with these things: No one there can ever be your friend or anything more! Nor can that help you with anything else --- you're there to fix you, not mingle with the residents.

A lot of psychiatric problems manifest in chemical addictions -- most broken people self-medicate in some fashion or another. Or... they use another addictive habit as their shield... like you seem to have reported... :D Keep it in perspective -- these people aren't garbage, they're likely suffering the same as you and maybe worse it's just their addictions probably cost more money.

Last edited:

Riders

If you voluntarily commit yourself you can leave at any time you don't feel comfortable. But, I really question what you think they're going to do for you there that you cannot get through some one-on-one time and some life management assistance. (They do have people that do this, BTW. If anything it's good for helping you keep score.)

Just live by my motto with these things: No one there can ever be your friend or anything more! Nor can that help you with anything else --- you're there to fix you, not mingle with the residents.

A lot of psychiatric problems manifest in chemical addictions -- most broken people self-medicate in some fashion or another. Or... they use another addictive habit as their shield... like you seem to have reported... :D Keep it in perspective -- these people aren't garbage, they're likely suffering the same as you and maybe worse it's just their addictions probably cost more money.

I am not going into a psychiatric ward. Its an outpatient clinic so I will see a psychiatrist get a reevaluate for meds and my prescription and go home.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

A large proportion of people in psych wards have a dual diagnosis.
Chicken and egg.

Riders

Electroshock therapy is still used (ECT) although with more safeguards.
They don't send electricity through your body anymore . They do it by sending some kind of med through your veins its a lot safer and you don't lose your memory like you use to.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They don't send electricity through your body anymore . They do it by sending some kind of med through your veins its a lot safer and you don't lose your memory like you use to.

I can't speak about what specific clinics do, but I can assure you, ECT involving electric currents passing through the brain is still used.

This is safer in terms than it once was and is administered under anaesthetic.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I was in the psych ward of the ER from Wednesday night to yesterday afternoon. They're very safe and controlled environments. They take all your belongings and control the setting so that you're not upset by anything.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If you voluntarily commit yourself you can leave at any time you don't feel comfortable.
That's not true. If they judge you to be a danger to yourself or others, they can pink slip you and you can't leave until a doctor judges it safe for you to do so and you're discharged.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
That's not true. If they judge you to be a danger to yourself or others, they can pink slip you and you can't leave until a doctor judges it safe for you to do so and you're discharged.

That's so rare though. I'd say most people who are dangerous aren't getting voluntarily committed. Secondly, most places the dangerous individuals either to themselves or others are usually isolated from the others.