• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How reincarnation belief affects your thinking

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe that when reincarnation is discussed, we miss one of the main points, and that is how the belief alters the way we think. It seems most of the discussion is around whether or not it's true at all, or the technicalities of how it works, like in a recent thread.

Beliefs affect actions. One substantial way this one affects many is it brings patience. We can legitimately say 'maybe next lifetime; instead of 'maybe next year', as we legitimately believe the essence of who we are will be back.

When looking for reasons stuff happens to us, and there seems to be no logical explanation, we can take the cause-effect stuff in life and figure the cause was in a previous lifetime, hence enabling a better acceptance. We can also use it to explain things about us. For example, a keen interest in Hinduism as a westerner can mean we were Hindu in India or elsewhere in a past life. Without that essential belief, we'd have less explanations.

So ... for those of you who believe in reincarnation, what other ways do you think it has affected your world view?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Beliefs affect actions. One substantial way this one affects many is it brings patience. We can legitimately say 'maybe next lifetime; instead of 'maybe next year', as we legitimately believe the essence of who we are will be back.

Kinda puts a whole new spin on the term procrastination, doesn’t it. ;)

So ... for those of you who believe in reincarnation, what other ways do you think it has affected your world view?

It really hasn’t. I do my best to live this life as it were my last.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Kinda puts a whole new spin on the term procrastination, doesn’t it. ;)

It really hasn’t. I do my best to live this life as it were my last.

Interesting. I know this won't be my last so am working hard to pre-pay (prayaschitta) some stuff, in hopes of being in a position to renounce next lifetime, or within a few more. I'm way to attached and unenlightened to even once think this may be my last.

But neither do I procrastinate. If you had to drive from where you are to San Diego, or Alaska, you wouldn't go 50 miles on the first day, but get right after it. But sure, for some folks who might not get it entirely, they could procrastinate. That's when they're identifying with this particular lifetime, not realising that's not the part that reincarnates. I've even heard of folks trying to give themselves their own inheritance.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I believe that when reincarnation is discussed, we miss one of the main points, and that is how the belief alters the way we think. It seems most of the discussion is around whether or not it's true at all, or the technicalities of how it works, like in a recent thread.

When looking for reasons stuff happens to us, and there seems to be no logical explanation, we can take the cause-effect stuff in life and figure the cause was in a previous lifetime, hence enabling a better acceptance. We can also use it to explain things about us. For example, a keen interest in Hinduism as a westerner can mean we were Hindu in India or elsewhere in a past life. Without that essential belief, we'd have less explanations.

At one level, reincarnation seems like a comforting belief, since it means death is not final extinction. It also provides a much larger perspective to human existence.
I see it as an intriguing possibility, though it's not something I currently have a strong belief about.

Just curious, is reincarnation more central in some Hindu schools than others?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At one level, reincarnation seems like a comforting belief, since it means death is not final extinction. It also provides a much larger perspective to human existence.
I see it as an intriguing possibility, though it's not something I currently have a strong belief about.

Reincarnation is common to all Hindus, in one way or another. I don't see any particular school as having it affect them more. On individual levels, absolutely. Some extended families purposefully try to keep the souls within those families. It's part of the way I live and think, for sure.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I have had some experiences that have convinced me that I have had previous existences and that there is set of tasks that I am here to do in this one. Basically this life now that I have is a job contract and I have had previous job contracts like this as well. So I am busily and happily doing that set of tasks in this life.
Beyond that, rebirth makes me aware that all the consciousness-es I am interacting with have a trajectory and the moments I am seeing are only a small part of this long long trajectory that starts from Brahman and ends back into Brahman. It makes me aware of the depth, the richness and the interconnection of all beings that are around me.. this ecosystem of souls supported in that great eternal tree that encompasses this All.
I try to remain aware of all this amidst the push and pull of normal life and do my little job in my own little trajectory in this ecosystem.
:)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have had some experiences that have convinced me that I have had previous existences and that there is set of tasks that I am here to do in this one. Basically this life now that I have is a job contract and I have had previous job contracts like this as well. So I am busily and happily doing that set of tasks in this life.
Beyond that, rebirth makes me aware that all the consciousness-es I am interacting with have a trajectory and the moments I am seeing are only a small part of this long long trajectory that starts from Brahman and ends back into Brahman. It makes me aware of the depth, the richness and the interconnection of all beings that are around me.. this ecosystem of souls supported in that great eternal tree that encompasses this All.
I try to remain aware of all this amidst the push and pull of normal life and do my little job in my own little trajectory in this ecosystem.
:)
Thank you. What spurred this thread was a deeper reflection on how the two main religious paradigms on this forum differ, and @Ray Warren on how we, as people 'think' differently. So in meditation, I asked, "What makes me think we think differently?' and the belief in reincarnation popped into my central cortex of wisdom received from reflection. It makes a huge difference, as you so eloquently explained. I look at a new baby, for example, and my immediate thoughts are, "I wonder where that soul came from," and occasionally the answer is self evident. Like you, I've had 'some' experiences. (actually many) and because of those same experiences, I have a subconscious mind that includes an absolute belief in reincarnation.

I like your mention of other souls also having a trajectory that is unique to them. That's why we have child prodigies, whose abilities can't easily be explained, and folks who seem to not 'get' the simplest of concepts. Not only is each trajectory somewhat different, but souls are also on a different part of the trajectory, and we're all inter-related. From that, we should have a greater tolerance of people.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For sure, another aspect of life where it truly affects the reincarnation believer is grieving. I'll read about someone's recent loss of a loved one, and they're wondering if they'll ever see that person again, and they're all sad and depressed, and I'm going. "Yay, the soul has done its parabdha karma, and is ready for a new 'game'. I keep it to myself, but that IS what I'm thinking. If it's a person I knew, I'm thinking where its next physical body will come from.

I'm often surprised at funerals when so called Hindus take the Christian route, and weep and cry instead of rejoicing. It demonstrates to me the effects of proselytising on that group. For the most part they no longer believe in reincarnation.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It helps too with the depressing aspects of the physically aging process that we and all are loved ones experience. It can be viewed as a natural cycle of youth to old age back to youth to old age, back to youth infinitum. This allows for a more positive view of the aging process than the materialist view.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't realize how deeply my belief in reincarnation affected me until I became a parent.

There are the little things. Like when my eldest son's cat died, he found it comforting to talk about where Pickles would go next. It was terribly sad that he left us behind, but perhaps he'd get to spend time in France(my son wanted to see France at that time). And being terribly fond of drama, the "well, if you do that, I'll just kill myself!" (in response to having a device taken away, etc), the response tended to be "are you sure? You want to do it all over again already? First grade was not a good year for you... you want to repeat it so soon?" On a serious note, having raised him with a belief in reincarnation, I think its removed the idea as death as an easy way out.

As many of you know, my second son has some fairly difficult behavioral issues. I think the idea of karma/reincarnation/dharma have greatly strengthened my resolve and the ability to cope with the situation. I've tried reading material from parents with difficult autistic kids, and I find the sentiments are often "poor me! Why me? Why him/her? He/she will have such a poor life!" I've managed to escape that for the most part. While I'm not saying I don't have down times(a 2 hour tantrum just wears you out), on a whole, I'm not bothered. He is here as a function of his own karma, and we are together for the same reason. I don't feel pushed to 'beat the autism' and have a 'normal' child(or hide that he's different, or to glorify it as I've seen some do), but accept things as they are. His dharma is different as a result of his karma, and so is mine.

Its also made me at odds with the culture in general, who often insists I need this or that in order to be happy/fulfilled. I don't. Happiness or lack of will generate within, not from an outside circumstance.

The belief in reincarnation allows some relief for our imperfections as well(at least in my view). I may struggle with a habit, but it isn't because I am 'bad' or 'weak'. It is something that generated from somewhere else, and I need to continue to work on it. Likewise, I am not terrified of death. I will not be punished extensively, but I will have to deal with the karma I created at another time. I feel less 'picked on'... there's not a God/being punishing me when bad things happen, it is simply a result of my own actions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I didn't realize how deeply my belief in reincarnation affected me until I became a parent.

There are the little things. Like when my eldest son's cat died, he found it comforting to talk about where Pickles would go next. It was terribly sad that he left us behind, but perhaps he'd get to spend time in France(my son wanted to see France at that time). And being terribly fond of drama, the "well, if you do that, I'll just kill myself!" (in response to having a device taken away, etc), the response tended to be "are you sure? You want to do it all over again already? First grade was not a good year for you... you want to repeat it so soon?" On a serious note, having raised him with a belief in reincarnation, I think its removed the idea as death as an easy way out.

As many of you know, my second son has some fairly difficult behavioral issues. I think the idea of karma/reincarnation/dharma have greatly strengthened my resolve and the ability to cope with the situation. I've tried reading material from parents with difficult autistic kids, and I find the sentiments are often "poor me! Why me? Why him/her? He/she will have such a poor life!" I've managed to escape that for the most part. While I'm not saying I don't have down times(a 2 hour tantrum just wears you out), on a whole, I'm not bothered. He is here as a function of his own karma, and we are together for the same reason. I don't feel pushed to 'beat the autism' and have a 'normal' child(or hide that he's different, or to glorify it as I've seen some do), but accept things as they are. His dharma is different as a result of his karma, and so is mine.

Its also made me at odds with the culture in general, who often insists I need this or that in order to be happy/fulfilled. I don't. Happiness or lack of will generate within, not from an outside circumstance.

The belief in reincarnation allows some relief for our imperfections as well(at least in my view). I may struggle with a habit, but it isn't because I am 'bad' or 'weak'. It is something that generated from somewhere else, and I need to continue to work on it. Likewise, I am not terrified of death. I will not be punished extensively, but I will have to deal with the karma I created at another time. I feel less 'picked on'... there's not a God/being punishing me when bad things happen, it is simply a result of my own actions.

Thank you for the wise contribution. You brought karma into the picture, and of course the two are indeed deeply intertwined. I definitely feel the 'being at odds with the culture' bit. After each of 3 or more eulogies I've done, people have asked me how I could speak so calmly without pausing to bawl once or twice. Some folks misinterpret it as being cold. I feel 'at odds' with a lot of folks in western predominantly Abrahamic cultures. Not so much now, because I have a choice, but when I taught, there was a mutual sense of not understanding other POVs.

Yes I totally concur about the fear of death, and 'not picked on.' It sounds like your son has good karma to have you. Perhaps he prayed for some mitigation previously.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I totally concur about the fear of death, and 'not picked on.' It sounds like your son has good karma to have you. Perhaps he prayed for some mitigation previously.

I remember when he was born... he did not cry. He was cheerful, and I remember looking at him in his little crib, looking at me and chattering away happily, and I got the distinct feeling he remembered me from another time and place, and was telling me about events I didn't recall anymore.

My eldest cried and had a fit. We have a picture of him having a tantrum for his first bath. He still tends towards somewhat of a moody/dark outlook. And the youngest seemed a little dazed, but content. He's only two, but he still carries that sentiment.

I wonder what(if anything) can be learned of one's karma based off of birth reactions. I know I had a fit and kicked my father when handed to him. We had difficulties for many years(I think we've worked it out now).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I remember when he was born... he did not cry. He was cheerful, and I remember looking at him in his little crib, looking at me and chattering away happily, and I got the distinct feeling he remembered me from another time and place, and was telling me about events I didn't recall anymore.

My eldest cried and had a fit. We have a picture of him having a tantrum for his first bath. He still tends towards somewhat of a moody/dark outlook. And the youngest seemed a little dazed, but content. He's only two, but he still carries that sentiment.

I wonder what(if anything) can be learned of one's karma based off of birth reactions. I know I had a fit and kicked my father when handed to him. We had difficulties for many years(I think we've worked it out now).

The early years are so interesting, as remnants haven't all been dropped off. Our 4th child was killed in the Sri Lankan war in her previous lifetime. She has red hair, but had a dark patch that was at the spot of the brutal death blow. It went away at about age 2 to 3. She was an alcoholic in that lifetime, and suffered in this life time with that habit, but has managed to pull through it, last time I heard. We don't talk any more, but she's doing well. The strong personality stuck with her.

My second son claimed he came from a tree at about 1 and a half, just after he could talk. He was a friend of ours in his last lifetime. I picked him up at the funeral. He was sitting atop a tree watching the whole scene at the graveyard, and I took him home. Boss conceived about 3 days later. He needed a change and wanted 'in' to our family. He's incredibly stable and grateful for it.

So, yes, it's just right 'there' all the time.

I think some elders in certain communities would know more about how the birth relates to the previous life. Many wouldn't want to talk about it for fear of ridicule, or that it really doesn't matter much. For me, it's interesting, yet trivial.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For sure, another aspect of life where it truly affects the reincarnation believer is grieving. I'll read about someone's recent loss of a loved one, and they're wondering if they'll ever see that person again, and they're all sad and depressed, and I'm going. "Yay, the soul has done its parabdha karma, and is ready for a new 'game'. I keep it to myself, but that IS what I'm thinking. If it's a person I knew, I'm thinking where its next physical body will come from.

I'm often surprised at funerals when so called Hindus take the Christian route, and weep and cry instead of rejoicing. It demonstrates to me the effects of proselytising on that group. For the most part they no longer believe in reincarnation.
While there are some Hindu groups who do rejoice at funerals, even in shashtras the funeral rites are an affair of solemnity and sorrow. So that part is not affected by Christianity or Islam. Departure of a beloved from your life will cause grief to you even if the person has simply left and is not destroyed. No religion truly believes that a soul dies after all, but grieving for departure is there.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
While there are some Hindu groups who do rejoice at funerals, even in shashtras the funeral rites are an affair of solemnity and sorrow. So that part is not affected by Christianity or Islam. Departure of a beloved from your life will cause grief to you even if the person has simply left and is not destroyed. No religion truly believes that a soul dies after all, but grieving for departure is there.

There is much more to it than being sad. Cremation versus burial, for example.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It makes me think seriously about my actions and thoughts. I know I'm experiencing the karmic effects and results of past lives. I hope that some things I've done in this life, and hope to do correctly will ameliorate some of my negative karma. So, I think it's making me a slightly better person... I hope.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Strong advaitist like me may differ and say that there is no 'real' birth or death. It is all 'maya'. Older philosophies before they were watered down like Samkhya and Vaisheshika, may not believe in existence of soul, so what will reincarnate? Adi Sankara declared:

"na me mṛtyuśaṅkā na me jātibhedaḥ, pitā naiva me naiva mātā na janmaḥ .."

(I do not have fear of death, nor have I discrimination on the basis of birth. I have no father or mother, nor did I have a birth. ..)
Atma Shatkam - Wikipedia

Good night, friends. The rest tomorrow.