• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How publishers could sell more books

JIMMY12345

Easy make the print bigger.
Older people struggle with small print. The younger generation is increasingly short-sighted due to Computer and mobile phone screens. They struggle as well. We know why the publishers do it. It is cheaper. Paper is expensive. Small print is a turn off.
Do you support the campaign for bigger print?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Older people struggle with small print. The younger generation is increasingly short-sighted due to Computer and mobile phone screens. They struggle as well. We know why the publishers do it. It is cheaper. Paper is expensive. Small print is a turn off.
Yes and on food packaging. Apart from the tiny size, green on a yellow background is stupid. Unless they don't care or don't want people to read it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's called large print.
Large-print - Wikipedia

exchemist

Veteran Member
No.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

100% behind this!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They're not easy to find. My local library has hundreds of books. 6 of which are large print. I can't ever recall seeing any for sale in a book store.
Large print is how I got the first Last Kingdom book from the library.
Wonder if they're more common here?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's why I like reading on my tablet. Digital books are cheaper and I can make the print as big or as small as I want. Even a lot of libraries have digital book rentals now.

Audiobooks are also a good alternative.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's why I like reading on my tablet. Digital books are cheaper and I can make the print as big or as small as I want. Even a lot of libraries have digital book rentals now.

Audiobooks are also a good alternative.
I begrudgingly admit I do really like my Kindle. I'd much rather hold and feel a real book, I'd much rather smell a real book, take in it's details, but the Kindle at least looks like a real book page on the screen and it's greatly expanded what I have available to read and for generally a lot less money.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm fine with small print

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I begrudgingly admit I do really like my Kindle. I'd much rather hold and feel a real book, I'd much rather smell a real book, take in it's details, but the Kindle at least looks like a real book page on the screen and it's greatly expanded what I have available to read and for generally a lot less money.

Yeah. I was given one, wanted to hate it, but quite liked it, at least for fiction reading.
At which point my wife borrowed it, since she'd heard me make surprisingly complimentary comments about it.

It has a comfortable home on her bedside table now...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah. I was given one, wanted to hate it, but quite liked it, at least for fiction reading.
Definitely. I did a textbook once and never again. I tried philosophy and that's a no. If I'm going to need to be flipping pages back and forth then ereaders junky garbage. If it has anything that has text and pictures? Those have been pretty bad as well. Cookbooks are about as far as I'll go, but for those I'll use my phone since those are about the size of the queue cards I'd write a recipe down on anyways.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Definitely. I did a textbook once and never again. I tried philosophy and that's a no. If I'm going to need to be flipping pages back and forth then ereaders junky garbage. If it has anything that has text and pictures? Those have been pretty bad as well. Cookbooks are about as far as I'll go, but for those I'll use my phone since those are about the size of the queue cards I'd write a recipe down on anyways.
I've had some success with PDF readers for textbooks over ebooks. The formatting is generally better, allowing for better uses of images. It'd also really handy for open book tests to be able to quick search words and phrases.

QuestioningMind

I work in a library and the number of large print editions we have on the shelves has steadily increased year after year. The publishers are more than willing to create large print editions on most best sellers, because the market is out there. However, something I've noticed is that for some reason there's a significant portion of the population who do not need to read large print who have an aversion to it. I can't count the number of times I've gotten a LP edition off the shelf for a patron because the regular print edition is checked out and the patron will almost get insulted, as if I'm suggesting that they have bad eye sight. I suspect it's not cost effective for the publisher to put out both regular and large print editions of every book when only a small portion of readers will buy the LP edition.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Large print look more expensive and usually are, and the book costs what the sticker says. Why not, instead, use a reader with a giant screen and buy the book at a reduced electronic price?

If you buy a paper book the price is set by the printer: non-negotiable. The moment you walk out the book loses 80% or more of its monetary value. It takes on the electronic price, unless you are a book dealer and have a shop.

JIMMY12345

For those who pass on this.Fine obviously you have excellent eyesight.
For those who support.There is a strong religious element.Ask or demand larger print from your religious publishers.