• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Progressive are you? (poll)

Which of the following statements to you mostly agree with.

• Intersectionality theory is a positive tool for change.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • All cultures merit equal respect.

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • There is a patriarchy that oppresses women.

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Society should strive to achieve equality of outcome.

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Society should restrict hate speech.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Speech codes are a positive influence at universities.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Lived experience deserves as much merit as expertise.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Universities are improved when trigger warnings and safe spaces are provided.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The West's history negates its claims to be a superior culture.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Society should strive to reduce micro-aggressions.

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I voted for the "equality of outcomes" one, but interpreted it differently I guess than some are here; I meant this more in the sense that equal work should receive equal pay, an equal qualification should correspond to an equal position/honor, an equal tax should apply to everyone who is in a given bracket, etc, without respect to factors like race or gender that often result in disproportionate rewards to a privileged few. I don't think we should reward laziness, just fairly reward labor.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I voted for the "equality of outcomes" one, but interpreted it differently I guess than some are here; I meant this more in the sense that equal work should receive equal pay, an equal qualification should correspond to an equal position/honor, an equal tax should apply to everyone who is in a given bracket, etc, without respect to factors like race or gender that often result in disproportionate rewards to a privileged few. I don't think we should reward laziness, just fairly reward labor.
Oddly, this is the first instance I have ever seen of this nuanced view of "equality of outcomes". In normal parlance, it is more about penalizing the perceived privileged in order to give exaggerated favor to the oppressed that is directly proportional to their intersectional oppressions. It is very far from equality.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Oddly, this is the first instance I have ever seen of this nuanced view of "equality of outcomes". In normal parlance, it is more about penalizing the perceived privileged in order to give exaggerated favor to the oppressed that is directly proportional to their intersectional oppressions. It is very far from equality.
Well, I don't read conservative sites, I was just going by the meaning of the words as I understood them.

I note that your definition of intersectionality is seemingly very different from the one we use in the social sciences, also.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, I don't read conservative sites, I was just going by the meaning of the words as I understood them.

I note that your definition of intersectionality is seemingly very different from the one we use in the social sciences, also.
I have got my "definitions" directly from EDU sites. I have not read a thing about it on so-called conservative sites.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't understand what you mean by progressive.
I only know that in Europe being progressive means to promote secular, egalitarian societies where all cultures coexist pacifically, and all people identify with the same values based upon the respect of fundamental human rights.
Juridic relativism is medieval stuff.

I think we should NOT bundle secular and egalitarian together. IMO, one is a good idea and the other is a horrible idea.

icehorse

Premium Member
In response (more or less) to: @Revoltingest @Quintessence @Nakosis @chickenranch @YmirGF @Kuzcotopia and others:

I agree that the ideas I polled on do not represent the total breadth of progressive ideas. I thought I implied that in the OP but I suppose I could have been clearer. I also agree with those who said my list seemed to be heavy on social justice ideas - that was as intended.

To me, all of the ideas in the poll are controversial, and I'm just trying to get a sense of whether any of them are debate-worthy. So for example, if no one thought that speech codes were a good idea, then it would seem pointless to start a debate concerning speech codes.

But it would seem from the polling results so far, that each and every one of the these ideas has enough support, that a good debate on the topic could be created.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In response (more or less) to: @Revoltingest @Quintessence @Nakosis @chickenranch @YmirGF @Kuzcotopia and others:

I agree that the ideas I polled on do not represent the total breadth of progressive ideas. I thought I implied that in the OP but I suppose I could have been clearer. I also agree with those who said my list seemed to be heavy on social justice ideas - that was as intended.

To me, all of the ideas in the poll are controversial, and I'm just trying to get a sense of whether any of them are debate-worthy. So for example, if no one thought that speech codes were a good idea, then it would seem pointless to start a debate concerning speech codes.

But it would seem from the polling results so far, that each and every one of the these ideas has enough support, that a good debate on the topic could be created.
Dang....I thought you were creating a poll where a high score
is on the surface "progressive", but in reality is authoritarian.
Once again, my brain failed me.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think we should NOT bundle secular and egalitarian together. IMO, one is a good idea and the other is a horrible idea.
As I'm from Europe, I shouldn't have replied...I am sorry. This poll exclusively focuses on the political and social issues in the US.
In my country, for example we have never had "limitations of Freedom of speech", and the concept of PC talk is totally alien to our culture, but we do value egalitarianism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't really know what these "speech codes" were. We don't have them at the university I work for, so I'm not familiar with the idea. The closest thing to a "speech code" I'm familiar with are the strict rules against plagiarism.

gnomon

I rejected all of them.

So if that makes me a bigot........I would rather be the liberal bigot that I am than check off on that bull**** list.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dang....I thought you were creating a poll where a high score
is on the surface "progressive", but in reality is authoritarian.
Once again, my brain failed me.
Imo authoritarians wouldn't say all cultures deserve equal respect because they are attempting to set themselves up as a superior culture.

However, it is actually one of the few I would say no on because I believe 'no culture merits respect'. I think it plays into the very identity politics anti-sjw folk often rail against. Too much treating culture as a monolith and too little addessing individual subjects in an 'us vs them' kinda way.
Same with saying something like x religion deserves more respect than y religion.

icehorse

Premium Member
Imo authoritarians wouldn't say all cultures deserve equal respect because they are attempting to set themselves up as a superior culture.

However, it is actually one of the few I would say no on because I believe 'no culture merits respect'. I think it plays into the very identity politics anti-sjw folk often rail against. Too much treating culture as a monolith and too little addessing individual subjects in an 'us vs them' kinda way.
Same with saying something like x religion deserves more respect than y religion.

(Until someone let's me know the correct label I'll use SJW...)

It strikes me that the SJW faction is all about identity politics and not at all about individuals. For example intersectionality is all about classifying people based on external factors, and not at all on individual merit.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In the spirit of Kurt Vonnegut, I can imagine a brutally enforced belief in cultural equality.
From my reading of Harrison Bergeron, it was an authoritarian removal of merit based society to an extreme. But they still claimed cultural superiority and violently opposed any new system. 'We are better than them.'
As cautionary tales go, it's not too different from an opposite story where merit is the only rule that matters and whomever is deemed weak is pushed to the side. Either as a ablist/eugenics allegory like in Gattaca or an extreme venture capitalist allegory like in Bioshock.
Moderation seems to be key.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From my reading of Harrison Bergeron, it was an authoritarian removal of merit based society to an extreme. But they still claimed cultural superiority and violently opposed any new system. 'We are better than them.'
As cautionary tales go, it's not too different from an opposite story where merit is the only rule that matters and whomever is deemed weak is pushed to the side. Either as a ablist/eugenics allegory like in Gattaca or an extreme venture capitalist allegory like in Bioshock.
Moderation seems to be key.
Let's not torture the poor analog.
Consider the idea that all people were equal
could be extended to all cultures being equal.
(Some of them might have to wear weights
around their necks, eh?)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I thought I was progressive, but I don't subscribe to any of the poll options.

All I know is I am not conservative whatsoever.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
(Until someone let's me know the correct label I'll use SJW...)

It strikes me that the SJW faction is all about identity politics and not at all about individuals. For example intersectionality is all about classifying people based on external factors, and not at all on individual merit.
Intersectionality is about individuality, because individuals within a group have different advantages and disadvatages depending on a wide variety of factors which play into their individual experience. As a result, two people from any group will have different factors affecting their experience and how they're viewed as a culture. Intersectionaloty attempts to explore that interplay and reduce generalization, not increase it.
As a result it's both vague and dynamic (welcome to social studied) And often gets oversimplified to being about race, class and sexuality as they are some of the most divisive hot buttons and it's an easy example to show a situation of advantage or disadvantage based on one factor. But no two gay people will have the same advantage or disadvantage according to intersectionality.

Treating all of one religion as a monolith, though, that would be identity politics. The notion of US being number one by nationionalists is identity politics. Crony politics is (literally) identity politics. Western vs Eastern culturalism is identity politics.